BC Boards

What's the record for a litter?

For litter size, do you mean with BCs or any dog? I believe the world record for puppies born is 24... and I don't think it's all that uncommon for Great Danes to have 15+ in one litter...

haven't decided yet. Lots of ifs and or but's....... 12 in a litter is spooky.

ETA- I'm glad someone is reading my blog.

Oh- nd P.S. I sent an e-mail to Dianne, Pat & Don to ask about the pups. Just to be sure that I'm doing the right thing. If not- I will decline.

Edited by Bo Peep

My oldest dog Mac, a BC comes from a litter of 11. All of the puppies survived and went to good homes, seven of them to working ranches. I have lost track of most of them but four of them oddly enough mostly white developed serious skin problems. Neither parent had ever shown the slightest sign of a skin problem.

Bo came from a litter of 9, all males. It was her first (and only) litter.

Dianne,

Assuming all pups got the nutrition they needed while on mom, I don't see how the litter number affects the one pup you are getting.

I would look at what the parents have done, and if they are old enough what their trial record might be, if any, or how they are used on the ranch , if you are looking to trial your pup.

The person I train with had a litter of 12 about 4 years ago and the majority of the pups are trailing Open, with various handlers.

In other words, genetics more important than numbers in litter.

Good luck with your pup.

Carolyn

It's unusual in Border Collies but I have a friend who keeps having huge litters in her females - from different lines, too. She doesn't believe in interference so one time, I seem to remember the female had 13? but a few ended up dying within a day. So it ended up being a more "normal" sized litter.

Livestock guardians have gigantic litters. My Tully came from a litter of 14.