BC Boards

Jin bit me.

But it wasn't his fault. Nor did I beat him or anything after he did it.

It seems that Mookie and Jin have a resource problem over 2 things.

The first is food dish after dinner. It's not regular but during the check out the other dish the sometimes mix it up. The other is over chew toys. Mookie gets very protective about them and Jin always wants what Mookie has so he goes and takes it from her. Sometimes Mookie warns him off sometimes not. Usually can yell at them to stop and they do. (yes, yes I know we're not supposed to yell at them. Occasionally I have to wade in and tear them apart which is what happened today. But this time they didn't stop. After I separated them Mookie got growly again and Jin just wanted to jump back into the fray desopite the fact Iw as holding him. That's when I got bit. Up until now I had it fairly under control and it was getting better but after today I'm not so sure.

Oh yea, about the bite.

Help! Help ! I've been bitten by a mad dog, call the police, call a doctor, call a vet call animal control. Oh! No! This is it then, I'm going to die a horrible nasty diseased dog death. Run and hide in a corner I might get bit again.

I figured we needed we needed some hysterical dog bite reactions. :rolleyes::D

So I'm standing there holding an angry Jin while Mooke is sitting there guarding the chew toy and DW asks me, "What do you want me to do?" First aid would be nice. :D :D

Afterwards we took Jin downtown to street fair for some socializing and beer.

Ha ha. It can be a joke when they're pups and... only how many pounds? How old is Jin now? (SOOOOO cute and intelligent... those eyes.) But Pan is 47 pounds now and knee-high with jumping capability. It's really not funny to us anymore... It's like a bad joke that's been overplayed too many times.

As for the original issue, this is probably old hat 'cause I'm a new dog owner and I don't know much, but just in case: do you feed them on separate sides of a room and pick up the bowls as soon as they're done? To prevent Pan from resource guarding her bowls from the cats, I have to feed her away from them and when she is done immediately I have her trained to come tell me (I am usually at my computer and she comes to silently put her head on my lap), at which point I give her a training reward treat, get up, check the bowls, say "ALL DONE!" in a chipper tone, and place the food bowl under the water bowl so she won't guard it anymore. Works for us.

I am not a fan of beer for dogs.

Border collies have been brought up on beer for many, many years. Shepherds, back home, would have their dogs with them to the local and the dogs sup their ale out of the shepherds glass as the most natural thing in the world.

Oh yes, and Steve, when you use alcohol for antiseptic purposes, it's actually supposed too be applied externally.

Would it work to seperate the bowls further apart and plant yourself between them? You own the floor in the nuetral territory and tresspassers beware. Sit stay after your scraps are finished and then both bowls disappear?

Mookie was first dog and Jin is the interloper? Underlying jelousy? Is Mookie getting his fair share of confidence and reassurance of his place? There may be still some issues of who owns YOU?

The toy thing, not in my experience. Is it one or two particular toys? Type? Will they play tug with a longer rope or stick together?

So far Pirate shares and asks for playmates, dropping them at his playmate's feet ...then it's off to the races and slobber necks. Yech.

Gotta love the characters on this forum.

Ha ha. It can be a joke when they're pups and... only how many pounds? How old is Jin now? (SOOOOO cute and intelligent... those eyes.) But Pan is 47 pounds now and knee-high with jumping capability. It's really not funny to us anymore... It's like a bad joke that's been overplayed too many times.

As for the original issue, this is probably old hat 'cause I'm a new dog owner and I don't know much, but just in case: do you feed them on separate sides of a room and pick up the bowls as soon as they're done? To prevent Pan from resource guarding her bowls from the cats, I have to feed her away from them and when she is done immediately I have her trained to come tell me (I am usually at my computer and she comes to silently put her head on my lap), at which point I give her a training reward treat, get up, check the bowls, say "ALL DONE!" in a chipper tone, and place the food bowl under the water bowl so she won't guard it anymore. Works for us.

@Pansom hs no name.

For a new dog owner you have the right answers over the dinner bowls. Separate them further, stand opver them while they eat and we then pick up the bowls.

Border collies have been brought up on beer for many, many years. Shepherds, back home, would have their dogs with them to the local and the dogs sup their ale out of the shepherds glass as the most natural thing in the world.

Oh yes, and Steve, when you use alcohol for antiseptic purposes, it's actually supposed too be applied externally.

Agreed John and I hate to tell you how much Guinness my dogs have had over the years.

The toy they fight over are rawhude chews and bully sticks. Nothing else, until I find and resolve the problems they can't have any chewies without supervision.

Geezl, what am I doing. I sound like I'm talking about kids? :rolleyes::D

At any rate despite 50 years experience with dogs, 35 of those BCs, this is the first time I've ever had a problem over resource fighting and competition with the dogs.

The toy they fight over are rawhude chews and bully sticks. Nothing else, until I find and resolve the problems they can't have any chewies without supervision.

That's almost the same here; just add marrow bones. Senneca likes to savour her rawhide chews over many days; Rhys chomps through one in a couple of minutes. Rhys wanders over to see what Senneca has and the next moment, mayhem. Well, it sounds like they're ripping each other apart and it scares my wife, but it's all growls and snarls. I just grab them both and confiscate the item of contention and peace returns to the house. Fortunately, both are gentle and have excellent bit inhibition.

Afterthought: If the bite was deep enough to draw blood, you may want to ensure that you are up-to-date on tetanus shots; if not, I would recommend that you get a booster shot from your doctor. In addition, be on the lookout for a possible infection that may require antibiotics.

I made the mistake of intervening in a fight between my own bc mix, Daisy, and hound mix I was fostering. The fight was over a bone and I was distracted and made the MAJOR mistake of reaching into the hound's crate to take it away. The poor guy, who up until then had been as gentle as a vastly overweight, awkward and not very bright lamb, sunk his teeth into my forearm. It hurt like heck and, although I self treated at first, I ended up going to the hospital a couple days later with a pretty bad case of cellulitis. What was most interesting about the experience, though, was Daisy's reaction. As soon as the hound bit me she went INSANE and tried to kill him. Fortunately I was able to react in time to pull her off, but it certainly answered the question of whether she would act to defend me if needed. I definitely feel a little bit safer about walking her late at night now.

Oh, dear, are we going to have to have a glass of wine or beer or whathaveyou this afternoon, too? In hopes that Steve's bite wounds are ok and that Jin hasn't turned into a devil dog?

Heavy, heavy sigh from me. If it's really necessary to help a fellow board member, I will. Only because it's Jin and DesertRanger, you understand. Wouldn't do it for any other reason in the world.

Only because it's Jin and DesertRanger, you understand. Wouldn't do it for any other reason in the world.

The rest of us will remember that... :rolleyes:

**With that said, Bustopher goes back to enjoying his keg of Molson Ice...**

I hear Julie's Pip has a fondness for the red.

I believe most Border Collies prefer Scotch though.

Regarding "gin" though - I had a shepherd (Scottish) tell me there was no good use for it, except all good shepherd should keep a couple fingers around during lambing. "What, for those freezing overnight emergencies?" I asked all innocent-eyed. "Na, when y'has a cold lamb, pour it down throat and he'll make water. Shocks him into waking up and he'll be right in no time."

Urk. I told him there was a lot of sense to that. Neat gin down the throat's enough to make anyone "make water!"

@Pansom hs no name.

For a new dog owner you have the right answers over the dinner bowls. Separate them further, stand opver them while they eat and we then pick up the bowls.

Glad to hear I'm doing something right.

The name is Mary.

Cheers to dogs and beer!

Glad to hear I'm doing something right.

The name is Mary.

Cheers to dogs and beer!

Welcome, Mary! :rolleyes:

Pam :D (aka Scooter's mom)

Oh, dear, are we going to have to have a glass of wine or beer or whathaveyou this afternoon, too? In hopes that Steve's bite wounds are ok and that Jin hasn't turned into a devil dog?

Heavy, heavy sigh from me. If it's really necessary to help a fellow board member, I will. Only because it's Jin and DesertRanger, you understand. Wouldn't do it for any other reason in the world.

:rolleyes::D:D

I believe most Border Collies prefer Scotch though.

Only 12-year-old or older single-malt Scotch, unless it is a premium blended 18-year-old like Chivas Regal. And Border Collies (unlike some humans) are also smart enough to know that the only thing one adds to Scotch is more Scotch...

Excuse me, hallo there,,, all self respecting Border collies here in Ireland will only drink Irish , a good 15 year old blend, or if very thirsty may have a pint of Guiness, has to be draught.

Meg refuses to take a pint and sips a holf in a very ladylike manner, Patting her lips now and then with an Irish linen napkin.

Excuse me, hallo there,,, all self respecting Border collies here in Ireland will only drink Irish , a good 15 year old blend, or if very thirsty may have a pint of Guiness, has to be draught.

Meg refuses to take a pint and sips a holf in a very ladylike manner, Patting her lips now and then with an Irish linen napkin.

...a good 15 year old (Irish) blend...

Point taken. Annie is cosmopolitan, and will enjoy an occasional Bushmills 21-year-old or 16-year-old Malt; if that is not available, she will consider a dram of Jameson 15-year-old Pot Stilled. (In a pinch, she will even settle for RedBreast or Knappogue.) But her favorites will always be Laphroaig 30-year-old, Glendronach 25-year-old, and Saint Magdalene 19-year-old Scotch single-malt whiskies. And whether the whisky be Irish or Scottish, she is still smart enough to know that the only thing one adds to good whisky is more whisky...

Somehow, we seem to have wandered from the original topic... :rolleyes: