BC Boards

I have a visitor/ are manners inate?

Guest pax

I do not own a BC yet. I have a flock of house elves (corgies) and I love them...they are good girls, all.

But today, I have a special visitor. A BC.

It is like a quantum leap, the difference in these dogs.

I took them all outside in the back garden and started throwing a ball. Mine couldn't care LESS about balls, but the BC was ALL about it.

My youngest corgi, she was interested to know what that visitor girl was DOING with that ball, so a couple of times, when the ball went off to the side on which she was standing, she would chase it. And the BC would stop dead, lay down, and let the corgi go check it out. Only when it was obvious the corgi wasn't going to pick it up, would the BC go and get it.

If I threw it to the left side, where the BC was standing, she seemed to consider it fair game and it was all her's.

It just amazed me. Is this the smartest dog in the world? Did her people read her Emily Post when she was a puppy? How on earth would you teach that?

She is currently sitting on the couch between two 13 yo girls, having non-stop tummy rubs and ear scritches. If she could purr, she would be.

Life is good.

My ball obsessed dog does not go pick the ball if another dog comes sniffing it or if they pick it up. He waits until the other dog steps away from the ball, then he takes it happily.

I never thought of him being mannered, but rather non-confrontational.

I don't know if you can train that behaviour. If I throw a toy and say Skips name first, Jackson will wait until Skip either brings it back to me or refuses to pick it up. On the other hand, if I throw it saying Jacksons name, even if Skip gets to it first(VERY rare) he will wait for Jackson to get it, then chase after Jackson when he brings it back. None of this was taught other than me putting Jackson in a down/stay the first few times when I was teaching Skip to fetch.

I imagine that by throwing it to the corgies side he figures it is for them. And vice/versa. Yes, their UNDERSTANDING of subtle things like that are amazing! How long will you have this visiter? Whats the story?

My dogs all only chase their own ball. I generaly bring enough for everyone and they know which is for them. If I just bring one, they will chase it, but whoever is closest gets it and the others will back off.

Now, when we are playing with just one ball - because of Red Dog's elbow problems, he likes to hang around in the distance to get the ball but he no longer likes to run all the way back to bring it to me, so one of the other dogs will go and take it from him and bring it back so I can throw it again.

Also, if I throw a ball for one dog and that dog doesn't see where it went, I can send one of the other dogs to go get it. Tweed is best at this. He will put down his ball, go get the other one, bring it back and drop it, then go and retrieve his own ball to wait his turn for another throw.

I never really think about this as amazing as it's just what they have always done. People are always asking me in the park how I trained them to only get their own ball. I just reply that they are polite and fair, and take turns like good boys and girls.

RDM

Ours do that too, amazingly well! The one who gets the ball first can have it. The other "herds" her from a distance, especially Kessie.

When the ball is in the middle, they don't know what to do

DSCF4443kl.jpg

But it isn't good manners, innate or otherwise: Kessie is a robber. She'll actually walk up to dogs she's never met before and give them nasty looks until they give up their toys! :rolleyes:

I don't know why she makes such an exception for her little "sister", at least when I'm playing with both of them. They do steal stuff from each other at home, but mostly non-confrontational, backdoor burglar style.

Funny you should mention that. I also didn't really give it much thought, but if another dog is going after the same ball Allie will run all out after it, but will not approach the ball unless it is clear that the other dog is not going to retrieve it. Then she will scoop it up and bring it back. I simply chalked it up to being nonconfrontational. (However, she sometimes takes great delight in being a "ball thief" if the said ball is brought back by another dog and dropped. She will promptly pounce on it and tuck it under her chest and paws. I never use the chuck-it to retrieve it because she will not give up the ball then. I have to stick out my hand and tell her to "give me the ball". She will then pick it up and drop it in my hand. :rolleyes: )

She also knows her ball from any of the other scummy, grubby green tennis balls being thrown. :D

Allie acts very much as Ouzo.

However, for him a ball is a ball is a ball, regardless who it beloged to first. He's been known to steal other dogs' balls as soon as they drop theirs. I can easily get him to drop it and go after his (this usualy happens in the water, at the dog park). I can send him to retrieve balls floating in the middle of the lake if him or other dogs loose them.

Originally posted by pax:

My youngest corgi, she was interested to know what that visitor girl was DOING with that ball, so a couple of times, when the ball went off to the side on which she was standing, she would chase it. And the BC would stop dead, lay down, and let the corgi go check it out. Only when it was obvious the corgi wasn't going to pick it up, would the BC go and get it.

Another possibility: He could be waiting for your corgi to get it so that he can chase/herd your corgi. When your pup doesn't pick it up, he gives up and retrieves the ball.

I guess that's a possibility, Genie, but since my house elves seem to think balls are just not done *sniff*, we're never going to find out. :rolleyes:

ETA: She doesn't try to herd them any other time, though.

Dixie Girl, I'm just baby sitting for a teeny bit. She is such a smart quirky girl, I am in love.

lol each of my guys has their own ball, I usually grab 3 tennis balls, say a red one, a green one and a blue one and I will tell each of the girls which ball in theirs, then they only retrieve their designated ball I can throw then all at the same time and they each bring back "their" ball. this is easiest in my house because A) Electra wont fetch anything that is not thrown for her and for her only. :rolleyes: Misty is a ball hog and wont let Happy anywhere near the ball otherwise(Happys usually gets to the ball first as she is quicker but Misty promptly wrestles in from her mouth) therefore 3 tennis balls in simply easier on everyone lol its wasn't hard to teach...ya know considering I didn't teach it, they just picked up right away that "oh we each have our own ball, got it" lol

Glad to hear Starr is doing well --sounds like she's in heaven. I'd have to say one of our senior dogs (Duncan) taught her that when she was an adolescent. I stupidly took both of them out to play fetch together. When she tried to retrieve the ball, Duncan lost his temper and took the ball from her. After that she decided on her own to take turns. I had to put Duncan in a down stay when throwing for her. Eventually, they just took turns without the down stay.

She takes turns all the time with her daughter, Rae. It's really handy for getting them both exercised quickly. Anyhow, glad to hear she's behaving herself.

Renee

Oh Renee, I didn't like to say without asking if it was ok...but she is having a very good time, I think.

She is curled up next to me right now on the couch. She's taken to the kids way more easily than I thought she might, once she figured out Mollie was game for whatever fun Star has in mind at the moment, and there have been no issues at all with the corgi pack.

After a great game of ball yesterday she belly flopped in the pond. She smelled BAAAAADDD. :rolleyes:

She is so funny...she is teaching me the "right" way to do everything...when you come in from the last walk, it's obviously bisquit time. She looks right at me and it's as if she has ESP, she makes herself abundantly clear. It is so much fun.

And my kids learnt a new word... ovine. We had to ban the "s" word.

I hope you guys are having a wonderful holiday. Starr has been a bright spot in ours.

It is amazing how quickly border collies recognize the pattern in a game. I play hide and seek with a ball on the beach with Daisy. I have her down-stay behind a big rock where she can't see, and I hide the ball behind or on top of rocks, under seaweed, etc., and then I call her to come find it. She immediately understood and enjoyed the game. But very quickly she began taking her turn hiding the ball and beckoning me to come find it!

I guess it struck me because I don't play ball with my corgis, I could never get them interested, so it was a relatively new experience.

What cracked me up was all the time she really really wanted to play, she brought me the ball, but when she got tired, she brought it to my 5 yo, who can only throw it about a foot. :rolleyes: (Don't worry, we quit!)

I am just amazed at the huge difference in her, to the girlies.

Remember when you said I was going to have to get re-used to a tail?

This morning I was sound asleep when I was repeatedly thumped in the face...I opened my eyes and discovered Starr, thumping me, while she licked Mollie's face over and over, making her squeal.

(And please tell Renee that Starr does wait to be invited....sadly, Mollie does not. )

:rolleyes:

Uh, oh, Pax, that's exactly how I got started. Violet was supposed to come visit for a weekend last April. Needless to say, she's still here.

Vi is exactly the same, BTW. In fact, that's a big part of the reason her last home gave her to me. She lived with two ACD's who NEVER let her have her turn at anything, and she was too polite to protest. So my friend thought Vi would be better off at my house where she'd be the center of attention.

I adore corgis. :rolleyes: I just can't look at one without breaking into a big grin.