BC Boards

Juvenile S/N

sea4th

I've never had to consider rehoming young pups. Most of my rescues over the years have ranged anywhere from older pups to adults. I don't like the idea of juvenile spay/neuter --- juvenile being a couple of months old.

How then would rescuers handle a case of young pups who need to go to new homes but also need to spayed or neutered? If I keep them until they are more mature and then have them fixed ---- that's a long time that these pups would be missing out on a permanent home, and simply the number of pups --- no one person can do them justice while they are growing up as far as training and attention goes. They'd certainly be better off in a permanent home, the sooner the better.

So what is normally done in these cases? Do I put them through a S/N procedure at such a young age, or do I have other options.

Thanks.

Find a good vet that has experience in pediatric spay/neuter and have them done as pups. It's really the only way to be 100% sure they won't reproduce. We do ped speuters at the shelter and don't have many complications. I know there's a bunch of stuff on needing the gonads for good muscle/skeletal development and I respect that, but as rescue folks, we have to be 100% sure we're not contributing to the problem. IMO, the rewards outweight the risks.

My Tyra was spayed at 8-10 weeks because it is was law in California where I lived at the time that ANY animal that came out of the shelter be altered. By age two she developed incontinence when she sleeps. She has thryoid issues. And you should see her skeletal delelopment! Gack! Were these cause by the early spay? Who knows. But the incontinence WAS most likely caused by it. How often that kind of thing happens I really couldn't say. I'm not advocating either way. Just giving info.

Jennifer

Our humane society will s/n any animal over 2lbs and 8 weeks. Wee do thousands of adoptions every year and many are of pups and kittens. Our vet does a great job and we've not heard of any problems from adopters. For dogs going to high performance homes I might be a little more cautious, but for pets the benefits outweigh the potential risks, especially when you consider that compliance w/ s/n contracts, even those including a deposit toward surgery, is around **30%**.

Since you are not doing high volume adoptions, how difficult would it be to keep contact with these pups and their owners?

I would consider this on a case by case basis. For example can you make an agreement for the local ones to simple come and pick the dogs up and take them to the vet yourself when its time? Are there some higher risk homes than others - for example the person who's canine exercise is primarily a dog park or has an intact pet would be at higher risk for accidental breeding; as opposed to the person who has a more private enviroment for exercise, a sport home, and/or no other intact pets.

6 months is ok for most female dogs. They have decent growth and maturity. Are any of the pups prone to be large males? Early nueter could be an issues for those guys.

High volume, low follow up shelters have to do whats necessary to prevent return offspring to the shelter. They aren't us, and we aren't them. It needs to be individualized.

Speaking for early neuter for lg males

I will need to have the new LGD pup fixed ASAP. I'm thinking I could make the 6 month mark for both but it would be hard to make it beyond that age.

Should I be worried about the male, if I choose to fix him at 6-9 months? I figure I can wait till I can't wait any longer. That'll depend on the dog. Just checking with the ones that know!

I've sent an e-mail off to a breeder friend of mine. She has an LGD breed and she has had vasectomies done on young males before they leave for their new homes, the idea being that they can still develop normally but not be able to reproduce. I'm wondering if this might be a less expensive option. Somehow, I doubt it, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Also, I'm wondering if there is a female version of the procedure.

Has anyone here ever had that done? I'll let you know when and if I hear from her, what she said.

I guess the big part of your answer is in the "why" you need him fixed asap? Elaborate on your situation please.

I've spayed my Maremma female, but I so far have left the male intact. He's 3, and it's not been a problem. According to lgd information he may also be a more effective guard because the smell of an intact male/mated pair (even though the female is spayed) is a more effective wolf and coyote deterrent.

Mac wasn't even done growing at 2, much less 6 months.

Speaking for early neuter for lg males

I will need to have the new LGD pup fixed ASAP. I'm thinking I could make the 6 month mark for both but it would be hard to make it beyond that age.

Should I be worried about the male, if I choose to fix him at 6-9 months? I figure I can wait till I can't wait any longer. That'll depend on the dog. Just checking with the ones that know!

I guess the big part of your answer is in the "why" you need him fixed asap? Elaborate on your situation please.

I might not have been too clear in my previous response. Sorry. If they have a good home ready at a young age, then it would be to their benefit to go, but I don't like the idea of letting a dog go unaltered, so fixing them is the only guarantee I have they won't reproduce. My dilemma is doing it at a young age.

Hope that's clearer than my previous reply.

my question was in response to bcnewe2's comment that she needed her new lgd pup fixed asap.

I might not have been too clear in my previous response. Sorry. If they have a good home ready at a young age, then it would be to their benefit to go, but I don't like the idea of letting a dog go unaltered, so fixing them is the only guarantee I have they won't reproduce. My dilemma is doing it at a young age.

Hope that's clearer than my previous reply.

My main reason for ASAP is because they will be free roaming. I don't in any way want to add to neighbors or stray pet population. I also think there would be more harmony if all my males were fixed. Mick is but he really doesn't know that. If the LGD decides to stake his claim here as alpha it's going to be an issue. With my previous lgd's mick kept his status, don't know if it's cause the lgd were nice about it but that's the way it was.

I fixed the last 2 boys and can't find the paperwork for when I did it. One was over 1 and the other was probably 10 months or so. He grew into a fine, very defined male, who knows what he'd have grown into intact. He was over 140#'s and looked very well put together for a pyr. The other one was smaller framed but had akbash in him so I expected that.

They seemed fine. But guess I'm wondering about these more, because they are bro and sis. No accidents please!

Vicki you answer was clear, need to check into that. These are my personal dogs but still would never dream of breeding, accidental or on purpose any LGD's.

I don't know, if I was going to do anything at all, I'd rather do the whole procedure. Why have a cycling bitch or an intact frustrated male when grown?

it seems to be questionable if leaving intact males makes for more aggression, but I can't help think it does add to lots of issues, not just aggression.

Kristen, I had my LGD (A male Pyr) neutered at 9 months, because I didnt want him off looking for love in all the wrong places. There are a lot of intact females in my area, and he could easily jump the fence if he so desired. He is now 18 months and 140 lbs He is well porpotioned and his structure is good and solid and sound. I dont think it has inhibited his want, need, desire or ability to do his job. In my mind, it has enabled him to do his job better, as he doesnt have the worry of females all around him in heat.

I dont think it has inhibited his want, need, desire or ability to do his job. In my mind, it has enabled him to do his job better, as he doesnt have the worry of females all around him in heat.

That's how I felt about my boys from AR. I saw no ill effects from the deed, but I will add that they were only 3 or so when they went to they're new home. The lady that has them can't say enough about how good they are. cept it's hard to keep Lumpy home. Can you imagine what it would be like to keep him home while intact? They are big houdinies.

Thank all and sorry for the turn in the OP

When I adopted my BC mix from the Humane Society he was only 3 months. The contract specified that he be neutered before 1 year of age and a copy of the neuter certificate sent back to the Humane Society. That might be one option for you. I personally do not believe in pediatric spays or neuters because of the risk of hip dysplasia. My BC mix was neutered at 4 months because the vet needed to fix and increasing abdominal hernia and suggested doing the neuter at the same time. Unfortunately, he now has severe hip dysplasia. If I knew then what I know now I would have done the hernia repair at 4 months and the neuter at 1.5 years to allow for adequate and proper bone growth. Of course, my dogs are house dogs and supervised at all times when outside, at agility, or the dogpark so reproductive activities are not an issue.

Mel

I've never had to consider rehoming young pups. Most of my rescues over the years have ranged anywhere from older pups to adults. I don't like the idea of juvenile spay/neuter --- juvenile being a couple of months old.

How then would rescuers handle a case of young pups who need to go to new homes but also need to spayed or neutered? If I keep them until they are more mature and then have them fixed ---- that's a long time that these pups would be missing out on a permanent home, and simply the number of pups --- no one person can do them justice while they are growing up as far as training and attention goes. They'd certainly be better off in a permanent home, the sooner the better.

So what is normally done in these cases? Do I put them through a S/N procedure at such a young age, or do I have other options.

Thanks.

I was just talking to my vet about this because I need to get Tommy spayed. He will not spay or neuter before 6 months.

And he feels like 6 months is also the best time because females spayed at that time have fewer mammary tumors and males have fewer prostrat problems.

My BC mix was neutered at 4 months because the vet needed to fix and increasing abdominal hernia and suggested doing the neuter at the same time. Unfortunately, he now has severe hip dysplasia. If I knew then what I know now I would have done the hernia repair at 4 months and the neuter at 1.5 years to allow for adequate and proper bone growth.

Your dog does not have severe HD because he was neutered at 4 months old. He was going to develop HD no matter what you did, the only questions were how bad the arthritis would be and how quickly he would develop clinical signs.