BC Boards

Hi, New Prospective Owner Here

Laurie S., you sound like you are smart, focused and hard working. You should be able to relate to your new Border Collie just fine. Get in, sit down, buckle up.

Oh, man, Amen to that! But what a ride! :rolleyes:

And ditto what desertranger said about letting the dog pick you. That how I chose my first BCx, Willie, (see Jo&Tex's thread "Boob boo"); I sat down, played with the pups for a while and Willie came over and suggled into my lap. He chose me. Best dang dog I've ever had and I've had few.

Besides, male Border Collies are sweeter. (Now I've started it!)

We always say, A Border Collie Boy wants to be your Mate, and A Border Collie Bitch wants to be your MUM!

And that is certainly my experience from the BCs at our agility club. The dogs are mostly no trouble at all (mine being an exception); it's the bitches that are argumentative and a little harder to train as they are more independent minded.

Hey! quit dissing the girls!

My female is the best. dog. ever. My male is a goofball with a wandering brain :rolleyes::D

My female is the best. dog. ever. My male is a goofball with a wandering brain :rolleyes::D

Well, I was always biased towards males, but right now the above describes our situation perfectly. Senneca has quietly worked her magic charm on the whole family -- including a daughter who used to say dogs were dirty and the son-in-law who was scared of dogs. Rhys, my foster boy, is a gentle, easy going goofball with a cartoon character face.

Hey! quit dissing the girls!

My female is the best. dog. ever. My male is a goofball with a wandering brain :D:D

Who's dissing?

Just warning, that's all. :rolleyes:

And it isn't just BCs it applies to. I have one little mongrel bitch and 4 dogs and she's way more independent than any of them. I love all my dogs - but I respect her.

Pam

I started out wanting females, got them and then got a male. I don't have a preferred gender choice anymore. they are all so independently different I don't think it matters. I have the most loving female I could ever want and my male is a jerk but we love him anyway.

I'm on a puppy list for spring. I have to pick a female as Mick can't get along with males and I want harmony in my pack so females are what I can have at the moment.

If it weren't for Mick I'd pick like DS says, let the dog pick me. Or I tend to pick the one that no one else wants.

I get first pick of the pup I'm waiting on but it'll be from pictures and descriptions from the breeder. So it'll be a crap shoot. But the breeding is not a crap shoot so I'm in. The female is a tiny smooth prick eared bitch, the male is a rough coat reg. marked normal size. I will probably pick something as close to the mom as I can, that's the dog I'm in love with and I"m trusting the breeder (one of my mentors) to choose the right male to breed to. I have seen him but don't have much of any opinion of him, not been around him enough. We are a working family so it is important for us to pick the right lines, if not for working, I'd rescue anyday. you get what you pick with adult rescue. I probably wouldn't rescue a puppy, they're easier to place than an adult so I'd pick the harder one to place. I've been toying around with the idea that if and when one of my seniors go, I'll take in a senior. I love old dogs!

physical structure is important and I have my fav. color, size and coat type but darn, haven't gotten one of those yet and I'm deeply in love with all my dogs.

Enjoy what ever you get. It's a whole new life that'll be opening up to you.

Kristen

Thanks for all the input, everyone, that really helps! My reason for wanting a female was that I've been told they should be easier going. Of course, I was told that by people who own other breeds. My other concern was about marking in the house. I had a male spayed cat who did that and I really don't want to go through that again. Is that a problem or did I just have a cantankerous cat? No, I don't intend to breed her, which would be hard anyway since she will be spayed. So, I'm not deadset again males.

I do know that as much as I would love a puppy, I wouldn't be able to give it the amount of time that it would deserve and need. That's why I was thinking about a one-year-old or so that already has some basic training. I'll also be honest, I love the black-and-white bcs. Desertranger, I absolutely love the picture of your dog, what a cutie!

I do strongly believe in animals picking out the owner, and that will be how I will handle the selection. But what do you do when more than one picks you out? :rolleyes:

But what do you do when more than one picks you out?

get a bigger place? :rolleyes::D

I used to say I had a special heart dog. Now I understand they all take little/big places in our hearts. Some more than others but they are all my heart dogs!

DSC_0104b.jpg

Ethel

Wow! I just love your Ethel.

OP, you know it could happen that more then one dog picks you. There was actually another pup from Colt's litter that seemed adamant he was coming with us. It was actually a tough decision and I often wonder where the other fellow ended up. I considered taking two but first BC and all...

Regardless, Colt is a wonder to me as I am sure any dog you will choose will be. I think that is one of the treats of being a first-time BC owner. Lots of awe and admiration for the breed.

As much as it has already been said, implied, and/or assumed in this thread, you are in for one wild ride. All dogs offer something that cannot be found anywhere else, in my opinion, and Border Collies in general offer something few other dogs can. The intellegence, the inspiring amounts of energy, the amazing-awesome physical things you will witness from him, did I mention the intellegence?, the companionship, the eyes that can pierce the souls of creatures from sheep to other dogs, the same eyes that can reach into your mind and heart, almost communicating as if with spoken words, the beauty, oh yeah...the intellegence, and the loyalty, are all things that you will just be so grateful to have brought into your life in the form of a little - compared to some other breeds - friend for life. Enjoy, and start jogging now to get in shape for this thing, it will take a lot of energy to keep up with! But it will be more than worth it! :rolleyes:

As much as it has already been said, implied, and/or assumed in this thread, you are in for one wild ride. All dogs offer something that cannot be found anywhere else, in my opinion, and Border Collies in general offer something few other dogs can. The intellegence, the inspiring amounts of energy, the amazing-awesome physical things you will witness from him, did I mention the intellegence?, the companionship, the eyes that can pierce the souls of creatures from sheep to other dogs, the same eyes that can reach into your mind and heart, almost communicating as if with spoken words, the beauty, oh yeah...the intellegence, and the loyalty, are all things that you will just be so grateful to have brought into your life in the form of a little - compared to some other breeds - friend for life. Enjoy, and start jogging now to get in shape for this thing, it will take a lot of energy to keep up with! But it will be more than worth it! :rolleyes:

I'm not supposed to jog (hip implant), but I'm seriously considering getting some rollerblades. Either that, or get my bicycle back in working order again.

Rollerblades are good too! i rollerblade with all three of mine at least once a week, lets them get going faster than if we jogged. However, if you're supposed to go easy on your hip, combining rollerblades with dogs on leashes may not be the best choice, it often leads to falling rather hard and fast.

Hi Laurie

I'm a middle aged fluffy lady, Not in the best shape but not in the worst shape either. When I started with BC's (14+years ago) I took up rollerblading. We got to where we were rollerblading almost 10 miles day. I did it cause I LOVED it not just for the dogs but for me. I was in the best shape of my life, no extra fluff. That was then, this is now! I bought a small farm and got sheep, to far to rollerblade anymore. BUt sheep are wonderful. Not the best for keeping me in shape but they are now my lifestyle choice. Didn't help that I reached middle age either. But the dogs love me no matter what my age!

I just wanted to mention you don't have to be in the greatest health or that active to own a border collie. What you have to be is commited to your dog. You don't have to own sheep, jog or rollerblade. You just have to excersise your dog in a manner that fits your lifestyle.

I get a bit put out when people say you have to be extreme in your activites with your dog. Not that I don't want to be a bit more in shape or less fluffy but my dogs do exactly what I do. Nothing more nothing less. And since it's easy to keep them at their proper weight (way easier than for me) they are in perfect shape.

We walk almost daily but it's not a big deal if we miss a day. I usually own sheep so I do/did work my dogs reg. but sold them almost 10 months ago and the dogs are doing fine without them. including my youngest who is 2. I will have sheep again as soon as possible but it's just as much for me as it is for the dogs.

So...I'm saying, enjoy your dog when you get one. Do what you want to do and whatever you do, don't buy into the big myth that you have to play ball 5 hrs a day or anything else that keeps them busy for hours on end. My dogs are happy if they're with me, whatever I'm doing. Yes they need activity but so do I so they're happy doing whatever.

Ok...off my soapbox but it does bug me a wee bit when people say if you don't do all this extreme activity the dogs will be unhappy. It's you they want and need, not what you're doing with them that counts.

eta...sorry to disagree with JBlay but I rollerbladed for years and the only time I ever fell and hurt myself was getting out of my car. I bladed with up to 4 dogs, and (gasp) used flexi-leads. That way they had room to move but I could pull them in if I needed to. Worked for us!

I'm not supposed to jog (hip implant), but I'm seriously considering getting some rollerblades. Either that, or get my bicycle back in working order again.

I have a plate in my leg, a dozens pins and screws including one in my knee holding it all together. I'm not supposed to climb rock, do strenuous hikes do anything else that will stress my leg. I do it anyway.

How do you pick one dog 0ut of several whoare in your lap? Easy. There's always one that sticks out. I had no choice in Jin, he was a gift. He is also a forever dog.

My doctor told me that I should only not do three things: jog, jumping jacks, and yoga moves where you put your leg behind your head. I've never liked jogging, jumping jacks are no fun, and it's been a long time since I've been able to put my leg behind my head. I used to do competitive figure skating, so I believe I'll be able to adapt to rollerblades pretty quickly, as long as I remember not to do a hockey stop. I'd like to get the exercise as much as exercising the dog, so rollerblading should be good for me.

I can't wait to go and see the fostered dogs, I wish I could bring home one right now! But, I have to wait until I'm back from my trip. It's so hard waiting!

Welcome, Laurie, I'm sure you'll be a wonderful BC owner :D

As for the male vs. female thing, I also thought I wanted a girl. But then this exact thing happened to me:

How do you pick one dog 0ut of several whoare in your lap? Easy. There's always one that sticks out. I had no choice in Jin, he was a gift. He is also a forever dog.

But, like others said, even more he picked me. And I can tell already (just as I thought I could back then) he is an easygoing cream puff. However I suspect I'm just a sucker for male pets anyway - especially effeminate males. He's given to happy prancing. I call him a fancy lad. Strangers just call him "her" :rolleyes: He'll let a 10 week old puppy chew on his face and ears and return soft gentle nuzzling. These dogs can be so sweet! (Not to disparage the bitches - I'm pretty sure that's where I'm heading next!)

In any case, I'm sure you will find a great dog for you, and again, welcome.

I just found out that my daughter Megwyn, who gave me Jin, picked him out the same way I've picked other dogs. Jin wanted to come to this family.

You will have no problem finding a dog! There are tons of amazing fosters in the ABCR rescue right now! Chris and I are lucky, we organize the volunteers for events for ABCR so we get to meet tons of the fosters. I can promise you that you that ABCR will guide you in the right direction to find the perfect dog for you.

If you ever find yourself wanting a three legged dog, my foster Tripp is still up for adoption! :rolleyes: