BC Boards

Training with whistles???

So for the last 3 weeks I have been loosing my voice. At first I had a hoarse voice now its no voice, LOL just in time for trials(agility). This last trial I was able to "direct" her with whistles on the course or more accurate I whistle to get her attention to stop an off course( and we, err, SHE still had one of the fastest times!). Which got me to think can I retrain her with whistles? Any ideas or suggestions? What have you done when you can't speak on a trial day? :D I have no clue when my voice will come back and won't stop agility because I can't talk.

The commands I am thinking of training with whistles are: Out, Here, Back, and Break.

Can't talk but at least I can whistle!

Stella

ps You should have seen her FAST/gamblers run! This was the first trial we been at since Dec so she was crank! She decided to blow me off at the start line then on our course. Her correction was she had to be run by our instructor in the next class (*evil laughter :rolleyes::D :D ).

I've used whistle command for years. the teaching of the command is basically voice/hand/whistle in the name/command format until he/she gets used to the command. If oyu do a google search for English national sheepdog trials you'll see almost everyone whistles. If you can whistle all the better. I can't so I use a whistle called the nose flute or humanatone. I did get a set of another kind of whistle but can't seem to get it to work. A special word here on recall. Jin will be trained to two different whistles for recall. One the humanatone I use for regular work and the Fox-40 classic sports whistle because it can be heard over extremely long distances.

Training to whistles is no different than training to words, use what ever method you use when teaching a new word. You DO have to be able to consistently repeat that whistle.With whistles it's much easier to indicate speed, distance and attitude. IMHO pitch is important,sit has to sound like sit every time.There used to be a top open handler who's whistles sounded exactly like the whistles of one of my dogs (to me). We could work those dogs together and neither dog took a wrong command.That same dog,when everything was really going well at a trial, would respond to very short peeps of different pitch for left,right, and stop.Those are the times when I would have time to think "this is really COOL". I've never done any of the sport activities, but I would think that whistles would have the added benefit of being something never heard in that setting and be more easily picked out by your dog. Yelling is yelling, just because your dog is a long way away and you yell to be heard makes no difference. YOU ARE STILL YELLING.

Lesson learned the hard way. When you are working with your dog, speak or whistle so quietly that you think they won't be able to hear you. They will, and they will learn to LISTEN for you.

Hope this makes sense, I whistle better than I talk.

Hi somewhereinusa - now that you menton it - it makes perfect sense. I sometimes whisper to Cody - he acts like we are on a really important mission. I use a whistle to call the dogs when we are hiking - I am going to try the softer whistle when they are close and see how it does. I am also going to look into getting a fox 40 classic sport- now use a police like whistle.

Bear in mind th Fox-40 has only one pitch. The reason I have given it a DeRanger Steve certification is because it can be heard even when blown weakly by an injured person. Try one of these, this is what I use because a: it's loud and b: You can vary the pitch.

Hello everyone,

I would think that a traditional sheepdog whistle would be a good choice, as it can be used "hands free". Check them out:

sheepdog whistles

Regards to all,

nancy

That's a good idea but I think that, for agility, you might want to go with plastic and not metal! Of course, if you are like me, it isn't easy to get a consistent result (I need to practice way more).

Whistles? :rolleyes: I could have 10 of the darn things hanging around my neck, and Id still yell! (there are folks that will vouch for me on this) :D :D

I have seen people who whistle when out on an agility course with their dogs and have seen no difference, between talking or whistling, on regards to one method working better. I think it just comes down to the training you have done at home.

On the note of what kind of whistle to use, I don't think you can take an actual physical whistle into the ring with you. Obviously it would depend of the association, but before you started training with a whistle you might want to find out. Anytime I have whitness whistling on course there has been no actual whistle and since training devices/leashes/toys aren't allowed I would kind of think a whistle would fall in with that. But don't know.

I lost my voice one time at a trial and so had to completely rely on my body signals and would clap when I want Boots to turn towards me. It works awesome. And definatly taught me that the quieter I am the happier he is.

Am I correct, you were using a single whistle to get her attention. From what I have seen there is a lot of obstacles in agility and a lot of activity and you are generally close to the dog. Would you need to train a whistle for every obstacle, would you remember all of the whistles and would you have the time amid all the activity to deliver a whistle. Would a whistle be practical in this situation. I do however love the idea of delivering a soft tone, voice or otherwise and perhaps that is something you can work on. I can't tell you how many times I have seen handlers stand at a post whistling and screaming at their dogs in hopes of getting a result. I have seen the same thing in agility, it always strikes me that it sounds like I am at a Calgary Flames hockey game. What is all that yelling and screaming. It is mostly for human satisfaction and I am not so sure it motivates your dog in the slightest. I use voice and whistle commands and frankly I will use my voice every chance I get, I love talking to my dog. At huge distances I will use a whistle but I am determined to speak or whistle as softly as I can get away with.

Thanks for the ideas!

I don't think I can actually bring a whistle on a course because they would view it as a training devise. I was more thinking of the "old fashioned" whistle... puckering your lips and blowing air out.

Like I said I was only thinking of using whistles for out, here, break, and back/flip. Things that I have to say. Cressa knows hand signals for the rest. Also I have some else handle her in standard :D I am only running her in jumpers with weaves and FAST/gamblers if I enter it.

:rolleyes: When I say no voice I mean I move my lips and nothing comes out when I try to talk/say something.

We proof break soo much that Cressa won't(shouldn't) release without a verbal "break". Can't guarantee what will happens at the competition but in practice... She is won't break without a verbal.

Hello everyone,

I would think that a traditional sheepdog whistle would be a good choice, as it can be used "hands free". Check them out:

sheepdog whistles

Regards to all,

nancy

I have a couple of those and I can't get them to work.

Working a whistle is not just a single blast or set of calls. It's a set or series of calls. Some of them can be fairly complicated. Additionally you don't just use the whistle by itself. It's a combination of voice, whistle and hand signals.

I have a couple of those and I can't get them to work.

Working a whistle is not just a single blast or set of calls. It's a set or series of calls. Some of them can be fairly complicated. Additionally you don't just use the whistle by itself. It's a combination of voice, whistle and hand signals.

It takes practice. I love my shepherds whistle! I doubt I'll ever be as good as a lot of people on here is but it's nice to have. And I think it's so cool to watch someone instructing their dog on what they want them to do using only their whistle when the dog is several hundred yards away.

I dont see why it couldnt be done, I have a friend who has just started competing with her just over 2 year old BC, and she knows whistle commands. They are more like lie down, come, get out, comebye (which is like go around). She responds really well to the whistle commands.

I say go for it!

Diane:)

On a whim, I taught Ouzo how to lay down on a certain whistle. And it's just me blowing air, not using an actual whistle. It was so simple, it was incredible. Just associate the word for the command with the sound, then replace it with the sound.

On a very long and boring

you can hear and see it just in the first few seconds, so you won't have to watch the whole thing.

I am thinking I should add more whistle comands, it's fun and the sound can cary a long distance.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my voice back! YAY The whistle thing didn't turn out so good. Cressa just gave me some very odd looks. Most of the time I whistle she would look at me or come towards me. So much for teaching her out with a whistle.

Something clicked with Cressa on the second day and she started working with my trainer. She would always run the course with whoever but would give them evil looks ever second and MAKE SURE THEY KNEW SHE WASN'T HAPPY BY THE FACT.

My trainer running her was AWESOME!!! Cressa had one of the fastest jumpers times. She was 25.88 sec and the rest of the dogs in her height was 30+ seconds. The only dog in the whole show that beat her time was the dog that place 3rd in 26ins at nationals!!! And that dog got 25.22 seconds on the course.

Yay Cressa.

There was an interesting link to using a shepherds whistle and after reading it more than twice I came to the realization that the shepherds whistle is more Zen than anything else. With that in mind and letting myself free with a new approach, while eating the thing constantly, I finally got a whistle out of it. I can even repeat the whistle... sometimes. Progress is being made. :rolleyes: