BC Boards

OT: Need something like a sled

I used to use a plastic snow sled with a pull rope to haul hay up to the horses, and haul garden stuff too. They are nice for hauling things.

They don't sell sleds here, and the shipping is outrageous because they are oversized items.

Since y'all are such a fount of knowledge, do you know of anything available like what I need? Or can you think of something that would suit my purposes, even if that's not what it's meant for?

I'd like something to haul my camping stuff from the car to the campsite so my back doesn't hurt so much.

That won't work Toni. I really need something more flat, not upright. Here's some details:

I'll have some large, bulky items, (6+ inch thick sleeping bag, rolled up tent, suitcase, etc.) plus I'll have the big dog crate (taken apart). Then a ton of smaller items. Oh, and firewood.

I'll be camping within 20' of my car hopefully in the middle of nowhere, so I'll need to drag it over the ground, which may be bumpy.

I'm not supposed to lift more than 10 lbs, so I won't be weighing it down with 100 lbs of stuff or anything. It's just hard for me to stand so if I can make less trips and carry less things, the better off I'll be.

I could make something here at home as long as it's not above my weight limit, or takes up too much space.

Crate dolly? Same thing with the shipping, I guess, but they are eternally useful, unlike the plastic sled which would break pretty quickly.

With the size Boy was last year, I assume he has a rather large crate. Couldn't you use it to hold things? Stand the rolled-up tent and sleeping bag on end to fit better. Even if it takes two trips it wouldn't be that hard. And you wouldn't need an extra piece of stuff to tote. I'm assuming that you're going to hitch up a dog to do the pulling. If so, take photos.

By the way, try thrift shops for something for the windows. You might find an old reflective car-window shield, an insulated drape, a marathoner's "space blanket" or such that you can cut and velcro to whatever window are in the sun.

Get a big black cement trough. Poke holes near front and back corners. Run a rope all the way around through the holes so that the rope at back of the trough supports the weight while you're pulling. That way the thing will last longer.

Also try Gempler's or a farm and ranch store online for a more substantial trough that is roughly sled-shaped. The ones I have are four and around five feet long. They last years longer than those little white sleds and more or less work on grass. The big ones aren't great for pulling on grass, of course, but you can do it if you don't have to go far.

Penny

Possibly a good ole fashioned red wagon w/ the sides on it?? Its not too far off the ground that you would have to lift your stuff too high to load it down. On the other hand if your taking it out of the car it would be just at the right height to easily drop it in the wagon so you wouldn't have to bend over as far. You can also turn the front wheels to whichever direction you need it to go in.

Rebecca's right (I think): a crate dolly sounds like the ticket.

You may have to grit your teeth and visit the vendors at a dog show to see the best selection. A friend of mine shows her Rhodesian Ridgeback in conformation, agility, lure coursing, etc., and the crate dolly she uses is awesome. She bought it at a show. Can't seem to find anything like it online, darn.

Crate dolly:

gcMulti_Cart.jpg

This is the kind of sled I use to haul around my hay and other stuff in the winter, and it holds lots. http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396669479&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474396670271&bmUID=1145155292542&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845 524441902519&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true://http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortme...fromSearch=true

Their price is high though, I've seen them at Home Hardware for $29.99 Canadian, and I got mine at Stedmans V&S for $24.99 It's great, I put 3 bales on at a time (2 across and one the opposite way on top). I also used it as a "trail groomer" for my dogsled trail this winter. I'd put a bale on it, strap on my snowshoes and go for a hike, a couple of times around the whole trail to make it wide enough. I don't know how good a sled would really be on dry land though, I wouldn't think it would be very easy to pull. Something with wheels like a wagon would be probably be easier. And I definitely second the opinion of having the dog do the pulling. There are all kinds of harnesses available, and something that might work quite well is to get a wagon, have shafts put on it instead of a handle and get a carting harness. My dogs will pull a dogsled, a kid's GT snowracer, and I've also had one of them pull a plastic sled with a sack of feed on it. I'm hoping to get some kind of training cart set up for them to pull when there's no snow so we can start getting ready for the dogsled races earlier in the fall, rather than having to wait for snow.

I got a plastic bin from Wal-Mart yesterday. It's about 3 foot long and half as wide, and about 6 inches deep. It comes with a lid and has little plastic recessed wheels on it. I can use it for storage, as a table, and even as a bathtub too!! :rolleyes:

I'm gonna stuff some things in it when it cools down and see how well it works.