BC Boards

So worried about my dog...

mbc1963

I wrote a couple weeks ago about my dog's drinking and peeing more than usual lately. I wouldn't have noticed it, probably, but he began asking to go out in the middle of the night, and I noticed his water dish needing filling more often.

Took him to the vet last week, and he drew blood. After a couple days, I was able to get a urine sample. (I have a horizontal pee-er. Not an easy job to collect from him!)

Blood tests were normal, but the urine specific gravity was on the very low end of normal - and this from his first urination of the day, when his urine should be most concentrated. So, the vet recommended an ultrasound to check kidneys and bladder and such. That will be early next week. Of course, I've been Googling the symptoms, and there are a variety of unpleasant things that could cause them.

Today, I came home from work and Buddy wouldn't touch his food. Drank a bunch of water, and then spit up a couple small puddles. Didn't defecate on our walk (understandable, I guess, if he didn't eat). Now he's eating his dinner, but very slowly. If he's off tomorrow, I'll stay home from work and take him in again.

He's energetic and playful outside of all this. He's asking me to play hide the bone right now, wagging his tail pitifully. Doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort!

I just have such a general nagging sense of worry - needed to share it with people who "get" how troubling this can be!

::Sigh::

Mary

Don't scare yourself to death reading symptoms on the Internet! Did your vet check for tick-borne diseases as well? I know it's an oft-repeated question here, but when symptoms don't add up, it's always worth checking for TBDs. The good news is that if the blood tests are normal then his kidneys shouldn't be failing, so maybe it's a weird infection or something. I'm sending some mojo your way in hopes that y'all can quickly figure out what's going on and get it treated.

J.

(((Buddy)))

Mary, do you have follow up with the vet planned before the ultrasound?

I understand your worry.

Fingers and paws crossed here.

Christine

ETA: <puts nurse hat on> I've no clue how this translates into the canine world, but low sp gr in people is usually related to diabetes insipidus (not "sugar" diabetes, but where there is not enough urine-concentrating hormone being made...happens for a variety of reasons, fixable with meds), or kidney failure... But, if Buddy's other labs are good (no kidney failure), that would seem unlikely.

Don't make yourself nuts with the internet info, tho. :rolleyes:

I don't know what might be troubling Buddy, but I hope it's just a minor malady that can be easily cleared up. It does sound encouraging that the blood tests came back normal and Buddy isn't acting at all lethargic. I'm sending all the mojo I can muster for him...

Mary, Quit Googling! It'll only cause you more worry and Buddy will start to pick up on that and start to worry to.

As Laura said, I hope its just some minor malady and Buddy will be back to his old self again soon. Prayers and mojo being sent for both of you.

Google will boggle your mind! Been there. For Scooter and me! I should be dead by now.... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I know how scary it is when your friend isn't doing what he usually does. Vet visit doesn't sound too ominous. Hang in there and try not to worry. As someone else said, Buddy will pick up on your mood. Good thoughts coming your way and let us know as soon as you find out anything. :D

ETA: <puts nurse hat on> I've no clue how this translates into the canine world, but low sp gr in people is usually related to diabetes insipidus (not "sugar" diabetes, but where there is not enough urine-concentrating hormone being made...happens for a variety of reasons, fixable with meds)....

Diabetes insipidus is definitely a possibility with low specific gravity and good bloodwork (in fact, I think I mentioned this on Mary's earlier thread). Do you happen to know just how low his specific gravity was, Mary? If it's just the low end of normal, I wouldn't be too concerned (says the person whose dog tested at 1.001 for months), but it's something to keep in mind. Should you want some more resources on DI, I'd be happy to share them since this is a condition I've learned a lot about in the last two years.

Best wishes to you and to Buddy that whatever's going on with him is easily resolved.

Thanks for the good mojo, all. You're a great comfort when I cannot be seen as logical if I express concerns out in the real (non-dog) world.

Diabetes insipidus is definitely a possibility with low specific gravity and good bloodwork (in fact, I think I mentioned this on Mary's earlier thread). Do you happen to know just how low his specific gravity was, Mary? If it's just the low end of normal, I wouldn't be too concerned (says the person whose dog tested at 1.001 for months), but it's something to keep in mind. Should you want some more resources on DI, I'd be happy to share them since this is a condition I've learned a lot about in the last two years.

Hey, thanks! I have read up on DI and it sounds like something that can be lived with. I think his specific gravity was 1.016... and the vet said 1.015 was the bottom end of normal.

Question for anyone still reading here: Is it possible that a change of food could impact this? I switched from Canidae (after their formula change) to Taste of the Wild High Prairie formula a few months ago. I was wondering if switching to grain-free could throw off something in my dog's urine? He seems to be standing still for a loooooong time trying to urinate, so I'm wondering if bladder stones might be the cause, and if maybe the food could have changed his pH level or something.

Of course, none of this explains the not eating earlier... but maybe that's just a red herring caused by normal canine dietary indiscretion.

I will stop Googling. :rolleyes:

Mary

I have read up on DI and it sounds like something that can be lived with. I think his specific gravity was 1.016... and the vet said 1.015 was the bottom end of normal.

What we wouldn't give for 1.016...ah, those would be the days! :D Yes, DI (although a hassle to diagnose sometimes and not usually something vets are familiar with) is quite manageable. I was very freaked out when it looked like that was going to be Johnson's diagnosis, but now it's just part of life.

I don't know anything about the possible relationship between a diet change and urinary tract problems, but I'll be interested in what other folks have to say. Johnson did also have a few bouts of bladder stones (one of the ER variety) prior to what we eventually diagnosed as the DI. But I don't think anyone, either here at my local vet or at UT, has ever explicitly connected the two.

Enjoy your Google-free evening! :rolleyes:

Sending good thoughts your way. Hopefully it's figured out soon and Buddy is back to normal.

And seriously, DO NOT google anything! My bf is allergic to penicillin and had a terrible infection in his tooth, long story short had to go to the centre for infectious disease and have an i.v. bag of some antibiotic that is stronger than penicillin and has some serious side effects. I googled the side effects and thought for sure he was done for!