BC Boards

what does your dog like

I am searching for a quality frisbee for Woody. He had one we recieved from a disc dog competition that we watched, but it eventually got worn out and broke down. We tried the plastic ones available at the pet store, but it lasted about a week. Woody now has a great ulitmate frisbee disc, but it seems a little fat for him to catch. (He has to flip it over to carry/catch it. Is that normal for BC's to do that?).

What kind of frisbee does your dog like?

We are going to train him to do an amateur disc dog competition in May and would like to use something they approve? Do you know if they will let you use anything.

The kong style looks like it will hold up for us, but I haven't seen one anywhere. The flying squirrel looks great too, but can you use one of those in disc dog?

I got Dean a red Kong frisbee. I can actually throw it and make it fly halfway decently, he likes it, and it has lasted since I got it for him last summer even though Speedy has gotten hold of it a few times and was "chomping" on it. Not one tooth mark.

Now I'm not sure what you can and cannot use in disk dog, but this is just to answer your first question!

Hi Datagirl,

I don't compete in frisbee with Skye so maybe someone else can steer you in the right direction in terms of frisbees that are competition approved.

But she only likes the floppy ones, so would probably not make the cut in competition with the plastic versions. We did try the plastic ones at first but she had trouble picking them up and they seemed too hard on her mouth (plus my throwing them sucks! -- the soft ones seem to fly better for me :rolleyes: ). But I think there are more available now that are softer rubber instead of the hard plastic that would probably be approved for disc dog use.

Here are lots available online:

http://www.dogtoys.com/flyinfristoy.html

Ailsa

Fastback fribees are what they use in comp.

You can get them on line, there is a store that sells tons of differnt styles but they also sell misprints of fastbacks real cheap. Sorry I can't remember the name. There are yahoo dog frisbee groups that can point you in the right direction.

Jawz discs are great! They are truly indestructible--I've been using the same couple for over a year and not a puncture in them.

http://skyhoundz.com/discs.html

They are well worth the price.

For fun, I've used the RuffDawg K-9 Flyer, which I love. I've used the Kong discs, but Lok rips them to shreds pretty easily. It takes a long time to get a hole in the K-9 Flyer, even when I let him chew on it and play tug with it.

ETA: Missed the last question. The type of disc you can use in a comp depends on the venue you are competing in. Usually you wouldn't be able to use something like a Kong disc, but in our local Skyhoundz comps, we let the novice division players use whatever discs they want. For disc dog training, I highly recommend the Jaws discs. The fastbacks and K-10s are way too easily punctured and you will go through A LOT in a very short period of time!!

Quinn loves all discs (all toys for that matter). His favorites are Easy Glider, K-9 Flyer and some little gel Frisbee that is sold for people. Those are all soft Frisbees. With the Floppy Flyer and Flying Squirrel, he gets caught up in tossing around and chewing on which I find frustrating, especially when I'm standing out in the cold, snow and dark so he can run. He does fine with the harder ones that are used in competition but again he loves all discs. I highly recommend the JAWZ -- buy the misprint ones from Skyhoundz and they're pretty affordable. If you buy the regular JAWZ, they last and last so they're affordable in that sense. If your dog is a chewer, JAWZ are tough and hold up great to play, not chewing. The competition discs are easily punctured but again if you buy from Skyhoundz, you can get misprints for fairly cheap for practice sessions.

Guest maya's mom

Maya LOVES the Easy Glider, and so do we. It is a soft frisbee, but it is thick and not easily destroyed. Also, it is weighted somehow and throws perfectly straight, far and flat every time. Even for a horrible frisbee thrower like myself! I do not know about competition requirements, but this frisbee would be great for learning and playing. I have serached a ton of websites and the place I have found them to be the overall cheapest (product cost + shipping), is Clean Run. Just type in Easy Glider in the search box on their site, and it will come up.

With my dog Lightning any normal plastic disc like a fastback gets chomped in one round of disc competition. For practicing at home I have a JAWZ and it is great. As long as I only bring it out for disc practice and then put it away it lasts. If I forget and let him carry it around for a while he will sometimes lay down and start chewing and they aren't completely indestructible. But, the best I've used so far. Well, we also have a KONG one that my daughter won in a contest and it hasn't so far been damaged but it's pretty new and we haven't tested it all that well yet, though I do like the other KONG rubber products for our dogs. The only thing about the KONG flyer though is that it is much heavier and flies differently. Which kinds of discs you can use in competition will depend on the club. When I compete in CDDA we have to use a fastback and Lightning destroys them. When I entered a SODH trial I was able to use the JAWZ

If I remember correctly, The Big and Evil Tricoloured Holepunch has gotten through my Kong frisbee after all. But the holes are small, and my throwing skills are so atrocious that it doesn't really make a difference.

I'd love to be able to use a frisbee that actually flies (the problem might be me though)...but the Kong frisbee does wobble less than other large rubber disks we've tried.

If I remember correctly, The Big and Evil Tricoloured Holepunch has gotten through my Kong frisbee after all. But the holes are small, and my throwing skills are so atrocious that it doesn't really make a difference.

I'd love to be able to use a frisbee that actually flies (the problem might be me though)...but the Kong frisbee does wobble less than other large rubber disks we've tried.

Try a JAWZ. I love KONG products but you'll find that the JAWZ will fly further and stay aloft longer. I have found that Lightning can't damage them unless he carries them in the side of his mouth and really chews with the back teeth, or takes them away to chew on. The other teeth haven't been able to puncture the JAWZ. My first one lasted a whole season (which for him is unbelievable) and it would have been around longer but I think playing with it out in the snow made it a bit less flexible and more prone to damage, it seemed stiffer in the colder weather. Plus I got lazy about putting it away all the time, I'd leave it laying out in the field or front lawn and the next time we were out he'd pick it up. I have another one now that I always put away after playing and it's still it great shape.

Bailey likes the following frisbees from West Paw.

Fling Thing

Zisc

They are soft, so no damage to the mouth or teeth. They are easy to pick up. They do get some puncture marks, but we have had ours for almost two years and they are still in pretty good shape.

We had the Flying Squirrel at one time, but the dogs had more fun chewing on it and playing tug of war with it. It got bent out of shape pretty quickly and you couldn't throw it very far.

Edited to add: The West Paw company is environmentally friendly and the stuff is made in the USA!

Always get a good quality canine disc. Quality durable discs (i.e. Jaws, Fastback Euroblend) are more expensive, initially, but last forever. Others like Hero 235, Skyhoundz competition discs, or fast backs have a shorter lifetime but perform well. Ordering misprint discs are another way to save money.

Check the website and rules for the organization running the competition. Some organization only allow certain types of discs.

Other things to consider are:

* Does your dog have a hard or soft bite on the disc?

* In what events are you competing?

* How may discs will you need/want?

* disc color?

* Throwing skill?

* weather on event day.

* disc durability, disc preference?

I have one bc with a soft bite and most anything will work for her. My other bc has a harder bite. She needs a tougher disc. She pokes holes in softer discs and they cause her gums to bleed.

Personal favorites:

Hero 235

Hero 235 xtra

DH favorite:

Skyhoundz competition disc

Canine:

One bc loves the Jaws

Other bc - loves any disc

Disc color - This gets into what works best for the dog to see (i.e. contrast with background). A friend ordered a number of pea green misprint discs. They flew great but found that his dog had a harder time tracking the discs. The pea green discs were harder for the dog to see since there was not as much contrast with the sky and ground.

Throwing skill/weather - some discs are heavier (i,e, jaws and Euroblend) and can effect your throwing distance. However, they are less effected by the wind, since they are heavier, and can fly better on windy days.

Weather conditions - Some discs have better gripping than others when wet.

cost – misprint discs. They fly just as well and are cheaper than the regular discs.

Some reference sites:

Hero Disc

Skyhoundz

Discover the World (i.e. fastback brand)

K9disc.com

UFO

IDDHA

Georgia Irish Disc Dogs

Good Luck.

mobcmom

Jawz discs are great! They are truly indestructible--I've been using the same couple for over a year and not a puncture in them.

http://skyhoundz.com/discs.html

They are well worth the price.

Jaws, hands down. I used to be a horrible thrower and with practice and switching to this disc, I can throw consistent and straight 90% of the time. We started w/ a floppy as a puppy for 1.5 yrs and switched to Jawz a month before we started competing last year.

Disclaimer: I have not tried any other kind of pro disc, only cheap pet-store ones (EW!)

Jaws, hands down. I used to be a horrible thrower and with practice and switching to this disc, I can throw consistent and straight 90% of the time. We started w/ a floppy as a puppy for 1.5 yrs and switched to Jawz a month before we started competing last year.

Disclaimer: I have not tried any other kind of pro disc, only cheap pet-store ones (EW!)

Ive had good luck with the ones sold at old navy unless they float away in the lake. My dogs killed my hyperflite disc quickly but, it was stolen and chewed. Only Dal will attempt to catch a disc. Maddie chooses to fetch them. I'll admit we play with the soft jolly balls more as I'm a better kicker.

I haven't gotten a Jaws one yet, I'm not sure why not, lord knows I've bought enough other ones, all that we love though.

I'll let Jade tell you what she likes...

This was my first one. It's a KONG Puppy flyer. Very durable, but it's a little small now.

2597022369_baa6c0bdac.jpg

This is the big kids' version of my puppy flyer, the regular KONG flying disc. I like this one a lot, it's really great for tugging too. Very durable. Had three 80-lb dogs pulling in it from every direction last weekend, not a single tooth mark or rip in it.

3239209229_caae5af5a7.jpg

This is Mom's favorite... it's a ChuckIt! Flying Disc. It floats, it tugs fairly well, and makes a great fashion accessory/muzzle. It is also light weight and flies far and easy. It's pretty easy to catch too.

3154843010_2d5c480533.jpg

I LOVE THIS ONE!! I will drop EVERYTHING to play with the ChuckIt! Squirrel. It flies and floats well, and makes for good tug. Very durable. Mom says there's two sizes, but I like the big one.

2706689395_dc0c637c48.jpg

I also just got this one today, haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet. Probably will tomorrow when we go to the dog park. It's a Petstages frisbee I got at PetSmart today. I think Jade will enjoy it.

pPETS-5056870t400.jpg

I've had a lot of the regular dollar bin frisbees from PetSmart, but they break quickly and get a lot of snags in them. They may be cheap, but they turn into a waste of money. I'd stay away from the hard plastic ones in general.

Good luck with your searching!! Post some play pics when you get one! :rolleyes:

Try a JAWZ. I love KONG products but you'll find that the JAWZ will fly further and stay aloft longer.

I haven't seen one of these here yet, but I will have a look on out next visit to the pet store (while the others are cleaning out the strategically placed treat boxes :D ).

Had three 80-lb dogs pulling in it from every direction last weekend, not a single tooth mark or rip in it.

:rolleyes: I'm almost proud of Kessie now! I'm sure she bit a hole in that one. But I'll have to look when we're in the car again - maybe I've got my frisbees mixed up...

It really is the Kong frisbee. She's been systematically detaching the rim :rolleyes:.

3257020089_5ae30ac686.jpg

...by doing this...

3257020313_60a68af862.jpg

...in between throws.

And she's really happy that I've brought it up for a photo shoot.

3257849588_0556ceb6dc.jpg

Frisbees are Kyla's favorite! We use the soft floppy fabric ones most. I actually buy the 'fabric/nylon' floppy discs at wal-mart (one of the few things I go to wally world for). They are very durable as long as I don't let Kyla lay down and chew one (chewing out the middle is FUN!). Even when it gets a hole in it, it takes a long time to rip apart.

We have a JAWS disc and they are a great slightly flexable hard disc. Ours has many dents in it, but no puncture marks, and thats with Ky tugging on it sometimes. I tend to only use floppy discs now beacuse Ky likes to tug when she brings it back and she has cut her gums tugging with the JAWS disc. I had a chuckit squirrel, which was great because it flew well, but it didn't last long for us. Maybe I will try another sometime (as they fly well and float). Jaderbug, Please share how the petstages orka works out, that one looks neat.

As far as hard discs go, JAWS discs are well worth the money.