BC Boards

once again, PLEASE, I beg you

We all like to see photos of each others' dogs. I don't want people to stop posting dog photos.

Just please, dear GOD, resize your photos before posting them. When they come out of the camera, they are enormous. They need to be reduced in size before posting otherwise it takes forever for them to load. It is not that hard. Your digital camera probably came with software to do this. PLEASE learn to use it and use it. It takes, like, two seconds to do.

I am on a high speed wireless connection with service from Comcast cable, and even I lose patience with oversized photos. I cannot imagine what it is like for our members who have DSL or dial-up.

While I am at it, can I request please, no weird formatting either? I just tried to open a thread (including, yes, enormous photos) that started with a post which for some reason has weird formatting on it, causing the entire thread to display oddly (lines wouldn't wrap). This board formats your stuff for you so it is legible. There is no reason to screw around with margins, justification, fonts, or what have you. It doesn't look special. It's just annoying.

Thanks, I had to get that off my chest.

I have an ancient MacBook with maxed-out memory and rarely look at picture threads anymore. Sometimes people will ask me, "Did you see the picture of X I posted?" No, sorry, I just can't take the frustration anymore. Most of the time my MacBook simply refuses to load those pictures and I wait and wait and wait, only to get the Dreaded White Space (the MacOS Firefox version of the Dreaded Red X).

If you don't want to resize on your computer, you can upload them to tinypic.com and click on the right - you can resize and upload at the same time. It's the bomb.

^^^ What they said! I'm on slow dial up. I'd love to see some of the pictures but the red X just ruins my day. Some of the siggie lines are even hard for me to see. It wouldn't be so bad except sometimes nothing loads while the pic or big sig. lines are loading so I sit and wait.

I am an expert spider solitaire player now!

Thanks for asking Melaine.

When I was on dial-up, I had to choose the "no avatars" option, and the biggie-siggies drove me bananas. I could not go to any picture pages. Biggie-siggies still bug me but they don't pose any problem with our faster connection.

^^what they all said^^ I wait to look at pictures until I go to work...at home NO way. My fastest connection where I live is an mind numbing 29.0 k..... do you have any idea how long a 7.0 meg photo or video clip takes???? And now, I can't watch any video because the powers that be at work have blocked youtube; yahoo; hotmail, etc, etc. etc. Thankfully, I can still see these boards :rolleyes:

My fastest connection where I live is an mind numbing 29.0 k..... do you have any idea how long a 7.0 meg photo or video clip takes????

Yikes! I'd be doing the happy dance if my connection was that fast :rolleyes: I've set my board setting to not show sig lines, takes too long....

I suppose for Flickr pics, using the URL of a medium sized version would do the job? I don't resize my pics anymore unless they need sharpening, but I think that should work.

Since we're doing requests: it would be nice if everyone who writes long posts could break them up a bit (just leaving a line free every now and then or starting a new one where it fits, etc). If there's just one massive chunk of text, I often don't really read through it. If that's just lazyness on my part, which is possible, then never mind me!

Sandra

You have some of the nicest pics on the board. I usually sit though a couple games of spider waiting to see your pics. They seem to be an ok size for my 24kb connection, at least they do download in time.

I'm not a fan of thumbnails either. I can't see well enough to actually see the pics and if I click on them I'm hosed.

One day I'll have reg. internet not this horrid dialup.

Thanks :D and sorry about the intense spider game training :rolleyes: . Until now I always used the url of the big version since moving to flickr (on photobucket I had to resize them anyway) but I'll try a smaller version next time.

Sandra, I use the medium format from flickr and they display pretty well, withouth having that annoying black bar above them. And no, I do not resize anything when loading on Flickr, I use that site as a way to preserve some of my originals and shrinking it before upload would totally defy this function. You do however have the option to link a variety of sizes for your pictures if you post them here.

Anda

You are another one that I'll sit and play spider for while loading your pictures. THey are all so great! There are several more that I will sit for but sometimes I just don't have time. I've tried doing laundry while waiting but then late afternoon I'll get a call from someone on my cell telling me to get off the darn internet, they've been trying to call all day. So I've found I'm most reliable if I stay at the computer, that way I'm less likely to forget, although I can forget while here too! :rolleyes:

I resize the photos I upload to Flickr, because there's only so much resolution any computer monitor is going to give the viewer and posting a bigger file doesn't make a difference in terms of viewing quality. Also, I don't want people to be able to download and edit big versions of my photo files. I've tried turning off "all sizes" so people can't steal photos, but then I always get message complaining that people can't see big versions of the photos, which I can sympathize with, so then I turn it back on. I'll admit I have a love/hate relationship with Flickr.

Since we're doing requests: it would be nice if everyone who writes long posts could break them up a bit (just leaving a line free every now and then or starting a new one where it fits, etc). If there's just one massive chunk of text, I often don't really read through it. If that's just lazyness on my part, which is possible, then never mind me!

Absolutely! I tend to zone out on those huge blocks of text, rarely read them (unless they are from someone I really want to read), and find it hard to relocated comments of interest in them later.

Thanks for bringing that up.

I put my HUGE photo's on photo photo bucket. They re-size them automatically- Thank doG. I hope his works. Let me know.

ETA= I have my camera class in a few weeks- hopefully this will help- LOL.

Edited by Bo Peep

You should even be able to downsize the size of your photos on your camera too , before you even take the pic. Should save you time this way!