BC Boards

Herding Boot Camp?

**I'm not sure where this falls, whether it's here or under the herding training section**

I was talking to a member on a different board and the member was talking about taking her border collie to a 'herding boot camp'. I've never heard of this and would like to know, have any members here done this and what was it like? It seems to be like a clinic?

http://www.raspberryridgesheepfarm.com/Cam...gBoot.aspx?SS=0

I'm not looking at going. It just sparked my curiousity :rolleyes:

**I'm not sure where this falls, whether it's here or under the herding training section**

I was talking to a member on a different board and the member was talking about taking her border collie to a 'herding boot camp'. I've never heard of this and would like to know, have any members here done this and what was it like? It seems to be like a clinic?

http://www.raspberryridgesheepfarm.com/Cam...gBoot.aspx?SS=0

I'm not looking at going. It just sparked my curiousity :rolleyes:

Isn't that the place Jon Katz took his dogs too?

LOL.. I didn't get too far before I had to come back and edit my post to add this from the website. I've been too lots of clinics , but I never knew the secret was to teach my dog to think "purple".

"Picture the Middle Tier training problem this way: Imagine a dog’s brain flooding with the color “Blue” when you give it a command it knows away from livestock, such as “Stand/Stay.” Livestock stimulates predatory urges in a dog, and the dog’s brain floods with the color “Red.” When you say “Stand/Stay” to a beginner herding dog in front of sheep, “Blue” PLUS “Red” EQUALS “Purple.” Your dog doesn’t recognize the meaning of “Purple” yet and doesn’t obey. Our goal is to teach your dog how to respond correctly to “Purple.” "

Wouldn't go there on a dare...

This is near my house I cant speak for her experience but, I can say that I've heard people drove all the way there with their Bc's only to not be permitted in a class because the dog was too excited. It barked or was moving around too much. I'd never recommend them. This is a strictly AKC facility.

Yes. I believe that is where Jon Katz took his dogs. For many that would be reason enough not to train there but I am sure it is actually good for her business. I am not as anti-Katz as some - actually enjoy his writing style - but I certainly would not consider him the expert on training.

If you listen to the description of the instinct test on that site it is almost a parody of every identified red flag from these boards.

"She has trained dogs to over 150 herding titles. IN THE TEST, positive reinforcement testing techniques are used. Dogs are first to penned sheep with dog outside a pen. Many dogs can pass the test without actually going into the pen. As necessary, if the dog requires additional stimulation by chasing stock without a barrier between, the dog (on or off lead as appropriate), will be tested inside a 200’ diameter pen with sheep. Dogs must show at least 5 minutes of interest in sheep in some herding style and some responsiveness to handling within a 10 minute period in order to receive a certificate. Every dog will receive a written evaluation. Puppies should be no younger than 6 months of age. No upper age limit. "

So if I understand it a dog does not even need to be on the same side of the fence to work(herd) livestock and what we are looking for is stimulating the dog enough to CHASE. No thanks. Unfortunately many do not know better and I am sure are thrilled with their certifidcate.

"Bring dog treats—we might use them (or not) when your dog sees the sheep." No stockdog trainer I have ever met uses treats around livestock. The livestock and the ability to work it is the treat.

\

"3. Top Technical Tier: The technical, finesse moves specific to herding, necessary for successful herding trialing as well as effective livestock control. These behaviors are both cued by the situation and commanded by the handler. Once Tier 1 and Tier 2 skills are mastered, simple, basic herding tasks (equivalent to AKC HT level) of Tier 3 can be successfully mastered in less than a week! More difficult tasks in Tier 3 can take up to 2 years for the dog to master, 10 for the handler! "

So if I graduate I can make it all the way to the AKC Herding Tested level - not even AKC Started Trial level.