BC Boards

Winter Boots

I'm seriously considering boots for Bula. Hints? Suggestions? I've never had a dog with boots but she keeps coming in with huge ice balls on the bottom of her paws. It doesn't seem to bother her but it bugs me....plus I want to start doing some serious snow activites with her - not just farm chorse.

I'm seriously considering boots for Bula. Hints? Suggestions? I've never had a dog with boots but she keeps coming in with huge ice balls on the bottom of her paws. It doesn't seem to bother her but it bugs me....plus I want to start doing some serious snow activites with her - not just farm chorse.

In another thread, I had read that some people had good experiences with boots called Muttluks. I wish I had just one afternoon of snow with my dogs. Not much chance of that here in sunny Florida. :rolleyes:

I have some booties for Durga, which have thus far been unsuccessful (she takes them off). I spray her paws with Pam & really rub it in between the pads, which helps a lot.

I had to buy some boots last year because we had weather around -40C. Tried a cheapo pair that are made for show, they never stayed on. Bought Muttluks for Mollie (her theme song is "Flight of the Bumblebee" as she constantly runs) and they kept falling off until I lost one. Then I found Ruffwear Bark'n Boots at my vet, who let me try them on Mollie and let her walk around for a while. They are really expensive - I paid about $50 for one pair. But they are worth every single penny and I even ended up buying a pair for the other two so that we can walk during the deep freeze. They rarely fall off, the only time that one has is when I forgot to tighten the velcro strap after they'd been walking for about five minutes (that's the trick with these boots). I really like the grip on the soles of these boots too - not as much sliding or pinwheeling legs. I bought the socks for Mollie, but Muggz and Lady go commando.

They even work great in the summer - we swim in a river a lot, and the boots help protect pads from all the rocks (I have to wear shoes myself lol).

My dog seems to be able to handle the snow in his paws - it's the incredibly cold pavement, salt, and sand of our morning walks around the neighborhood that do him in. I bought some really cheap booties at Petsmart, and after 4 or 5 miles, they're already starting to get really worn. I'm thinking I might be best off getting the Ruffwear ones with the real soles - since pavement is pretty touch on fleece or even the heavy nylon.

Anyone dealt with the Muttluks or booties from Dogbooties.com on pavement? I'm reluctant to buy fabric-based booties, since I need them to last on some punishing surfaces... not just soft snow.

Mary

For consistent walking on snow (nothing else certainly nothing abrasive), I like fleece booties. The dog's claws can actually grip, if they hit an icy spot; but mostly they conform to the dog's feet. Every other one I've tried are like tube sox for humans - no bend, and some (as someone mentioned) are just to stiff they'd abrade the dog's leg. One place I remember getting them was Black Ice, a sled dog supplies in (I think) Minnesota. In any case, I tape 'em on with adhesive tape - they WILL come off in deep white stuff!

diane

Just FYI: Dick's Sporting Goods online store has the Ruffwear Bark'n Boots with Grip Tex soles, which are listed at $59.90 or more in most online stores, for $49.99. There's an online coupon link available (Google "Dick's Sporting Goods online coupon") for 20% off any item till Jan. 31. With shipping and sales tax, I was able to order these from Dick's for a total of $47.98.

Still expensive... but if I'm going to need them to last as my dog gets older, I figured I might as well buy the ones with the good soles for street walking.

Mary

Anyone dealt with the Muttluks or booties from Dogbooties.com on pavement? I'm reluctant to buy fabric-based booties, since I need them to last on some punishing surfaces... not just soft snow.

Mary we use the Muttluks all the time. I only had one fall off and that was the first time I tried them. Put it back on and haven't had one fall off again.

We use them in snow, on ice and on salt, stone covered roads in the winter and in the summer when we are hiking on rugged trails.

I have had the same Muttlucks for over three years and they are still holding up very well.

How are the Ruffwear Bark' N Boots with Grip Tex working for you? Do they stay on?

We get tons of snow and are outside daily. I have tried two or three different kinds of boots with no success and found they were more trouble than they were worth. Rusty will wear them for a while, but Allie sits down and pulls them off first thing. If the dogs do leave them alone, they get sucked off and buried in the drifts of snow, sometimes never to be seen again. So . . . we just go without. (I pay special attention to their paws when we get back inside and make sure that I get all of the salts, chemicals off -- if we are city walking -- and thaw out the snow balls if we are out on the trail.)

Good luck and I hope you find some that work for you.