BC Boards

Adopted my first border collie!

Hi, I'm Claire, I'm new here and wanted to introduce my new addition, Aveda. She was at the shelter for an entire month and was going to be euthanized, so I scooped her up the day before she was to be put down and now she's here, fleas, skin infection, worms and all!

I don't have any really good pictures because she scratches and bites herself ALL the time without her e-collar, so this is the best I can do for now. Not sure if she's purebred, but those ears tell me probably not. When her ears are forward she sort of resembles a spaniel. Any input? I'll get more pictures up as soon as I can.

I took her to the vet on Monday and they gave me some antibiotics for her skin infection, but does anyone have any remedy for the itching? The fleas should be gone, but the bites are still bothering her. I have a good oatmeal shampoo, but she just got spayed yesterday so I can't bathe her for about a week.

post-9661-1232038477_thumb.jpg

post-9661-1232038556_thumb.jpg

post-9661-1232038632_thumb.jpg

She's super cute! Could be all border collie, who knows? Did the vet tell you that you can give her Benedryl for the itching? The dosage is 1-2 mg per pound of dog. The oatmeal shampoo will probably feel good, but be sure not to over-bathe her, that will dry her skin out and make the itching worse. I hope she's feeling better soon!

Thanks for saving her. I love the name. :rolleyes:

Good for you for adopting a dog in need :rolleyes:

If her skin infection doesn't clear up on meds on de-flea-ing, you might want to have her allergy tested. My shelter mutt had terrible skin that nothing cleared up. She had an allergy test like people do- lines of little red bumps on her belly. She has a list of allergies three pages long. Without the test, it would have taken forever to tease out what was bothering her. So long as I watch what she eats, she has no skin problems.

Stick around & post more pics! We love photos...

She's about 10 months old, so still a bit of a baby. You can definitely see her puppy-ness when she runs, it's really cute. She was turned in by her owners but that's all I know.

As for the skin condition, she's eating Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, which is what I've fed my dogs for the past few years with excellent results. I've also been giving her vitamin c and fish oil, and I did try benadryl for about a week but it didn't seem to help. Crossing my fingers that it's just a flea allergy... I've just about drained my bank account on her! She's such a good dog that it's totally worth it though. :rolleyes:

She looks like a BC to me! Congrats! What a cutie! Give her some time. She'll settle down. She's had a big adjust to make thanks to you adopting her! Good luck with her! I find these boards to be a plethera of knowledge! Welcome!

Eeyore,

Your doggy has very similar facial markings to mine :rolleyes:

I think she looks like a BC. Keira's ears looks just like hers! You're so kind for saving her life. Good luck! :rolleyes:

Edit: Are you sure she's 10 months old? She looks so much younger! Like maybe 6-7 months. Keira is 8 months old and she looks more mature and has longer fur on her tail.