BC Boards

Taking a Control Unleashed Class with Willow

I am going to be taking a training class based on Control Unleashed with Willow to work on her reactivity, among a few other lingering issues. I know the book is highly recommended, but for those of you who have read the book and/or taken a CU class, do you think it is worth reading the book as well? The local library doesn't have the book, so I would have to go buy it. The class will be starting next Friday (we weren't going to start until March, but the trainer has a lot of interest so she scheduled in another class) so I won't have time to order it online. The class is an in depth class and I'm sure the trainer will have handouts, because she normally provides a lot of information. She did tell me that the book was hard to follow - most people read it and aren't sure exactly what to do anyway.

I figured I'd get a few opinions before making the decision to go out and buy the book.

Thanks!

Any other advice about this class or preparation for it are appreciated as well.

As a CU instructor myself, I advise you absolutely to get the book. It can be hard to follow for those who are working through the program on their own, but if you are taking a class, the material in the book will be crystal clear and will enhance what you are doing in class since it is impossible to cover everything in a class.

When we get about 5 weeks into the class and I've covered all of the basics and students are getting the idea of how the games and techniques feel, I always ask my students to go back through the book and come up with questions to ask in class based on the book and they find that they "get" much, much more from the book at that point.

So, my advice is to get the book, but wait until you are a couple of weeks into the class to go back to the book. Also, it can help not to try to read the book in order. I would start with Chapter 3 and read through to the end and then go back to Chapters 1 and 2. Chapter 2 is a goldmine, but it might not makes sense until after you have gotten into some of the games.

I wish you the best in your class! My advice - bring more treats than usual the first night of class, make sure your dog completely understands that a click means a treat is coming, and use a big enough mat for your dog. The bath mats you can get with the rubberized underside are usually perfect sized mats for Border Collies.

ETA: Not everyone finds the book confusing or hard to follow before taking a class. I got the book when it first came out and started my dogs on CU long before I ever attended the CU seminar that I went to, and I had no trouble working through things on my own. If you decide to get the book before the class starts, you might not have any problem with it.

I am reading through it right now and will be attending a seminar in the summer. So far I'm not having any issues understanding it, but I could see how people would be confused. I am not really going to do anything else with the book until we are done the classes we are in. Which won't be until Feb., but my trainer and her assistant are also reading through it, so it's nice to have someone I can discuss it with!

I would buy the book if I were you and follow Kristine's suggestions. That makes sense!

Thanks!

I have been working with Willow to get her used to the sound of the clicker - which actually terrified her at first, causing her to run away and hide. We are working on clicker = treat.

I'm glad you mentioned that you had no problem following the book. I usually have no problem following things that others find difficult. Being a teacher sure makes you learn how to follow even the most unclearly written information!

I'll go check the local bookstores to see if I can find the book. Maybe I can convince Borders or Barnes and Noble to give me my educator's discount, even though it isn't classroom material. The class costs $150, so if the book will enhance the class, it is worth it. I want to get the most out of the class.

First off, I'm jealous! I looked around here to find a CU class, and the training club that does them isn't having another one 'til the summer! So I have to work through it on my own.

But do get the book. I like having a reference guide, and besides you get get a good overall picture of how the whole program works. I had a lot of lightbulb moments when reading the book and didn't find it hard to follow at all.

One thing that is confusing about the book is that it is geared simultaneously toward ordinary folks who want to do CU with their dogs, and toward those who are going to teach a CU class. This is very helpful when you teach a CU class - I actually "got more" out of the book when I used it to design my CU curriculum than when I first delved into it to work with my dogs, but of course it was invaluable to me with my work with my own dogs.

The other thing is, that it is written in an Agility framework. Still, it is not an Agility book and the uses of CU go way beyond Agility, or sports in general, into everyday life sort of training. But that's not always clear in the book itself.

If you go into the book knowing all of that, it will make a lot more sense!

First off, I'm jealous! I looked around here to find a CU class, and the training club that does them isn't having another one 'til the summer! So I have to work through it on my own.

Ironically, I can relate. I'm the only person in my area teaching CU classes, so I've never actually been able to take one with my own dogs and have had to do all of my CU with them on my own! I did go to a seminar with Leslie, and she worked with Speedy some, which was incredible, but I've never been able to have Speedy or Dean in a structured CU class where we can work on the games outside of other contexts.

I'll check with the library tomorrow. None of the Pima County libraries have it, but maybe the U of A library does, or some other library.

I was looking online and it doesn't even look like Borders or Barnes and Noble carries the book! Guess I might have to order it online and start reading it after the class starts if the library can't get it for me.

The other thing is, that it is written in an Agility framework. Still, it is not an Agility book and the uses of CU go way beyond Agility, or sports in general, into everyday life sort of training. But that's not always clear in the book itself.

I'll be starting agility again with Bailey the end of this month, so that will come in handy!

I have the CU book and find it easy to read. My BC is not reactive but has attention issues in agility, such as losing focus and finding environmental factors more stimulating and shutting down at trials to sniff and eat grass. I have picked up several gems out of the book for these issues.

I wish I had read the book when I had my reactive dog though.

That is the next book on my list!!! We don't have classes like that around here. I think the library is the cheapest place to find good reading material unless you want to save it. I thought I was done with herding and gave all my books away. Sure could use them now- LOL.

Ok, stupid question here from "Newby". What kind of class are you guys refering to...CU? And what does a "reactive" dog do??? Sorry for all this...:rolleyes:

Polly

As a CU instructor myself, I advise you absolutely to get the book. It can be hard to follow for those who are working through the program on their own, but if you are taking a class, the material in the book will be crystal clear and will enhance what you are doing in class since it is impossible to cover everything in a class.

I see at Cleanrun.com that there is a 4 DVD set coming on January 23, 2009. I was thinking of getting that as I like to see hands on work as well. You often pick up slight nuances watching someone working with different dogs that of course you can't pick up with just the book - I am always better at hands on work anyway.

I'll check with the library tomorrow. None of the Pima County libraries have it, but maybe the U of A library does, or some other library.

I was looking online and it doesn't even look like Borders or Barnes and Noble carries the book! Guess I might have to order it online and start reading it after the class starts if the library can't get it for me.

I'll be starting agility again with Bailey the end of this month, so that will come in handy!

You can order it through Clean Run at www.cleanrun.com

"CU" stands for Control Unleashed.

It's a book and behavior program by Leslie McDevitt and the point is to teach a dog how to focus and stay appropriately tuned in tuned in to his or her handler, especially in public situations where dogs are typically distracted.

The program is actually not a "reactive dog" program, although it is certainly very appropriate for reactive dogs. CU can help a dog who is overly friendly, shy, highly fearful, unable to focus in general, rude, generally undertrained, hyper, etc. learn how to behave better by default.

A "reactive dog" is one who "loses his head", so to speak, because of a given trigger. Anything can be a trigger - other dogs, people, men in hats, cars, etc. A reactive dog will typically bark-lunge and is unable to become calm on his or her own.

It's phenomenal. This program has changed everything about the way I train and handle my dogs. The DVD is coming out on January 23rd and I can't wait!

Ok, stupid question here from "Newby". What kind of class are you guys refering to...CU? And what does a "reactive" dog do??? Sorry for all this...:rolleyes:

Polly

Reactive dogs respond inappropriately (react) to stimulus. They become hyper, hysterical, bark/lunge etc at the sight or sound of things they don't understand or can't control (like running children or watching another dog do agility).

Control Unleashed (CU) is one of the methods people use to deal with these dogs and help them learn to control themselves and relax.

Oh thank you both for explaining that....I like the CU..sounds like what my Dixie needs but she IS a reactive dog...:rolleyes:

If you have the money, I recommend ordering the DVD when it goes on sale in 2 weeks. There is nothing like watching Leslie working with the dogs - she not only has a way with dogs herself, but she has a great way of showing the rest of us how do-able her program is to implement.

If you can't spring for that, start with the book (although I'd be willing to wager you would want the DVD if you start working through the book). If you have any questions while working through the book, feel free to PM me.

I just started the class tonight and was planning on ordering the book tonight. I've had a busy week and didn't get around to doing it.

Do you recommend getting the book and then the DVD set as well? Or do you think that if I wait to order the video that will be enough? I'd rather see it than read it because I think that will be more useful. And if both aren't necessary I'd love to save some money and only get the video.

Thanks!

Honestly, I can't say. Officially, the DVD is not meant to replace the book. There is probably info in the book that isn't on the DVD.

But since the DVD isn't out yet and I haven't seen it, I can't really say how important it is to have the book in conjunction with the DVD.

In a couple of weeks, when I get the DVD and watch it, I'll be able to say better.

In your case, since you are taking the class, I still think the book would be very helpful to you. But between book or DVD for cost effectiveness, I'm not sure yet.

What does the Control Unleashed go over? Basic obedience and such? This post has got me interested in buying the book, but I'm not sure what it contains or really what it's about...

No, Control Unleashed is not obedience. It's a behavior program based on the principles of Operant Conditioning. There are specific exercises and games that you work through with your dog to teach your dog to relax and keep focused (on you or the task at hand, as appropriate), particularly in situations where he might currently become distracted, anxious, stressed, or hyper.

There are specific games that you work your dog through in CU that are different from any training exercises I've ever done anywhere else and it would be a little difficult to describe in a general way. In a nutshell, though, the book describes the games, what they can be used for, and how to work through them with your dog.