BC Boards

Potentially ridiculous question

You know those little nail cover things they make for cats so they can't scratch up your shizzat?

Has anyone used them for dogs? My condo has hardwood floors and they are NICE hardwood floors and my dogs are scratching up the floors! I clip nails regularly, and started an aggressive nail clipping campaign when I moved in here, but I can't ever get them short enough that I cannot hear them clickety-clicking across the floor. I've put down as many area rugs as I can without making the place look like a flea market.

I don't want to ruin this man's floors, as he was very kind to let me move in and go to bat for me with Evil Strata Council That Hates Dogs, and I also don't want to have to refinish them should I move. So at the risk of being kicked out of the Border Collie Glee Club, I'm thinking about Soft-Pawing the suckers so they don't scratch up the floors anymore. Piper's will, of course, be pink.

My real question is ... do they work? Will they stop scratching the floors? How easily do they come off - my dogs are rough on their bodies outside. Also, I read somewhere they stay on for about 6 weeks, which is a long time to go between nail trims, and then the dogs would have long nails again.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I have been trying for two months to train those quicks back, but it's not working, and Piper is about ready to tear my face off. She hates nail trimming at the best of times, but once a week is a recipe for Pipersplosion.

RDM

I just asked a similar question about how to protect hardwood floors on our volunteer list a couple weeks ago. One of our volunteers who is a groomer had this to say:

"You could try soft claws. I have a few clients who live in VERY nice houses and use them.

http://www.petedge.com/Canine-Soft-Claws-N...ZX432.pro"

I ended up buying yet another rug, though.:-(

RDM, I completely understand your delema. Two and a half years ago I spent an insane amount of money to re-floor my entire (modest) mid-century ranch with gorgeous cherry wood. At the time I had only my (late) 14 year-old golden mix who was completely mellow. Once I adopted 9 week-old wild pup Lewie, I discovered that, although beautiful, cherry is not a true hardwood. His nails and toys have put some serious dents, scratches and gouges in it. He's not the only culprit. I've made a few good ones myself.

I'm pretty diligent about keeping his nails short so he doesn't click but I don't know if there's a real solution. I don't have a landlord but I still cringe when I see or hear him doing something to do more damage. He isn't being naughty, it's just normal dog stuff.

I've resigned myself to the fact that if/when I ever sell the house I'll have to have the floors sanded and refinished.

Do you use a dremel or tried the Peticure? I bought one and am satisfied with the results.

yes they work on dogs. I vote for purple for Woo!

I thought orange would be appropriate, given that Wootie is ...orange.

My main concern is whether these nail covers will hold up to ball play and running. My dogs run hard twice a day, and Piper is not careful about how she somersaults and slides her way to the ball!

I have not tried dremeling. I am not convinced they'll make the nails short enough either - I am practically quicking the poor critters now as it is. It's not that I am leaving the nails too long, I don't think - the problem is that they can't get any shorter than they are. And to not scratch up the floors they just need to be shorter.

Soft paws, here we come.

Tweed is going to kill me in my sleep.

RDM

I have not tried dremeling. I am not convinced they'll make the nails short enough either - I am practically quicking the poor critters now as it is. It's not that I am leaving the nails too long, I don't think - the problem is that they can't get any shorter than they are. And to not scratch up the floors they just need to be shorter.

Let us know how well the soft paws work (if you don't get smothered in your sleep). I have the same problem but it is exacerbated by the honking huge Weimeriner that shares the house with us. I think that dremelling would help because it rounds the end of the nail even if the nail isn't any shorter. I'm going to try the dremel first because I'm sure that Nellie would quite certainly kill someone, if not me, after the application of pink or red soft paws.

Lisa

We have hardwood floors, and Fergie has never made a scratch. Women in spike heels are another story.

Our trick - which was not intended as such, it to walk her at least four times a day. It's a mile or so and, although we go through the woods, around the pond, and up the field, there's at least a half on pavement (that's the road, not the sidewalk, Brits). And that keeps her nails trimmed and sort of rounded.

I have to clip the cat's nails - am seriouxly considering those covers. But, even though I bought clippers and did it a few times when Ferg was a pup, when I check her nails, they are perfect.

Oh this is a hilarious thought. Orange for an orange Woo-Tang sounds a bit monochromatic, and he does have that flashy side - I'm with Lenajo, go for purple! :rolleyes: And anyway, how would they know we love them if we didn't torture them just a little?

I am interested if these things increase traction on slippery floors (they are kind of rubbery, right?) Odin goes slip-sliding on our floors all the time when he gets too excited (and is not on crate rest), I actually wonder if it contributed in some way to his shoulder injury.

I guess I am lucky in that my floors are very nice but from 1924 or something, and are probably oak so they are practically indestructible. Sometimes Odin scratches the floor so badly that it looks like a big white scratch is on the floor, but it's actually his filed off nail-material. It buffs right out leaving the same mellow, antique-y looking wood!

We have hardwood floors, and Fergie has never made a scratch. Women in spike heels are another story.

Our trick - which was not intended as such, it to walk her at least four times a day. It's a mile or so and, although we go through the woods, around the pond, and up the field, there's at least a half on pavement (that's the road, not the sidewalk, Brits). And that keeps her nails trimmed and sort of rounded.

I have to clip the cat's nails - am seriouxly considering those covers. But, even though I bought clippers and did it a few times when Ferg was a pup, when I check her nails, they are perfect.

That is a great way to keep nails trimmed, but it's also true that not all hardwood floors stand up to the same abuse. I've lived in several apartments that had hw floors all my adult life, and now my house has them, too. Some (mostly when I lived in New England) were very hard, while others (Oregon was the worst) were comparatively soft. Also, the amount of varnish will affect how scuffed/marked the floors get. Nancy, it sound as though you've got pretty hard floors in the first place; Sheena's floors sound like they may be softer.

Keep us posted, RDM. I have an incoming puppy mid-January, and I have maple flooring in my house. Totally would not have been my first choice - it's beautiful, but SOFT. (It was installed before we moved in.) Best case scenario, my dog's nails won't bother the wood, but I highly doubt that. :rolleyes:

ETA: Adding to the vote for purple for Woo. <3

Our trick - which was not intended as such, it to walk her at least four times a day.

That trick is not going to work for us. Not only do I not have the time to walk my dogs 4 times a day on pavement, but I just don't think the floor is going to be able fight the nail contact. Scratching the floors has not been an issue in my last two places, but this hardwood is like butter.

You are all very mean. Poor Wootie, what did he ever do to any of you??

RDM

In my experience, the soft paws I've seen on dogs do NOT hold up to intense play. A few clients tried it on their dogs for their hardwood floors and were displeased with how quickly they came off with normal play.

Dremeling might actually help, if not with shortening, then at least with softening the rough edges. It makes the nail more "rounded" rather than harsh.

Does that Pedi-Paws contraption actually work?

It's the same principle as a dremel but only costs about $25.00 US. I've been thinking about it for my crew - I have the laminate veneer faux wood stuff, which doesn't get scratched, but I'd love something to round off those nail edges (seeing as how I still haven't taught my big galoot not to fling his 65 lbs at me, paws outstretched).

Anyway, the great thing about a dremel is you can actually make the quick shorter. If you bump back the nails very frequently with the dremel, the quick will shrink until the nails are just little stubby things that you probably wouldn't even be able to see for the foot fur.

Just don't get foot fur hung up in the rotating part! Never mind how I know to avoid this. However, if you too find out firsthand how to use a dremel as a doggie depilatory, I predict a thermonuclear Pipersplosion. :rolleyes:

Dremeling might actually help, if not with shortening, then at least with softening the rough edges. It makes the nail more "rounded" rather than harsh.

I would agree it's not the length of the nails, but the roundness (or lack of) on the edges. My dogs walk 5-6 miles a day on concrete and their nails can't be shorter (not including the dew claw) as they are very close to the quick. Even with that, they can scratch our stone floor. A quick hand file every week is really all that's needed to round off everything, it doesn't take long at all. Keeping the nails blunt seems to make a big difference, maybe that would help on the wood too?

For the record, cherry is very beautiful, but is one of the softest woods used in flooring (not dog friendly at all) while Brazilian Walnut is one of the hardest, but I have no first hand experience in what dogs would do to it.