BC Boards

BC-specific Puppy Prep

Hey folks!

The time has come. My puppy was born yesterday afternoon. :rolleyes: A male tri out of Open parents. I'm so unspeakably happy. And yes, pics as soon as she sends me some!

Needless to say, I've now started the eight-to-nine-week Countdown Until Puppy,, so I'm starting to make all those preperations that one must make. Generally, I know how to plan for puppy coming home, I've already done all of the dog proofing of the home and yard that I can think to do (I'm sure puppy will show me when, not if, I missed anything). At this point, I'm making plans and budgeting for vet costs, supplies, etc.

When I go pick up my puppy, it will be about a 6-hour drive back home.

Of course, any advice anyone can give for that trip and the subsequent making-puppy-comfortable are MORE than welcome, namely BC-specific tips. I will be stopping at least every hour to let puppy walk around, eliminate, eat/drink if it wishes, etc.

One question I have is about a collar. I have to provide my own, and I was wondering what size of collar generally fits an eight-week old BC puppy. Should I go for a small dog collar, or should a medium one adjust small enough?

Um... yeah! If you can think of any other specific advice, go for it! I'm getting really excited, and at the same time I'm focused on doing things as correctly as I can. :D

Thanks!

How exciting! A new puppy. We'll need lots and lots of pictures, obviously :rolleyes:

At that age, I'd get a puppy collar--small and lightweight--and just plan on getting a larger one when the pup grows up. I'd also get a small travel crate and have the pup stay there during the trip home. For pee breaks, because she won't have protection from parvo or any of the other nasty things so dangerous to puppies, I'd just line the crate with puppy pads and forgo walks on grass. I know it's not ideal to have her eliminate in her crate, but I think it's too dangerous to expose her to areas that unknown dogs have been on. Others may have better ideas...

I, too, would forego walks on grass or whatever. Just let her pee in her crate for the ride home. If you can play with her a bit (or a lot) just before putting her in the car, she'll sleep at least for the first bit (maybe). I like to have a stuffed toy available, too, although they often aren't interested. And I like the little adjustable puppy collars, as they can last for quite a while by adjusting as she gets bigger.

And forgive me for not remembering your situation or other dogs, etc., but since this one is from working parents, will you be working her? Do you have plans to sell your current home, move father out of town so you can have a handful of sheep, and plan all your weekends around training and then trialling the dog? :rolleyes:

A

I don't plan on working him daily, no, but will be running several dog sports and hopefully taking herding lessons for fun and education from Nathalie Labelle, a local instructor. This dog WILL be kept busy. :rolleyes:

My last dog was a BC mix, and I adored him to the ends of the earth. Wicked herding instinct for a mix, too.

And hey, who knows what the future may bring? I already spin and knit wool, so a sheep farm in the future would be a logical progression!

Guest maya's mom

I agree with the letting her go to the bathroom in her crate. I had a long drive home from picking my puppy up to, and though I did stop to let her out, she was so scared, etc.....that she wouldn't go anyway. Once we were safely home and in our yard, I spent a lot of time with her outside, until she felt comfortable and finally did eliminate. Congrats on your new puppy, and Goodluck! Maya will be 1 year old next month..........the time foes SO fast!!

I got Daisy from 5 hours away from where I lived. I did make 2 stops on the way home and she did not potty either time. She was nervous and I think that the breeder may have limited her food and water in the morning knowing that we had a long journey home. We did have both food and water in the car but Daisy didn't eat or drink at all. What she did do was sleep almost the entire ride! Bringing a crate with and some towels is a great idea. Will you be going alone to get the new pup? I was fortunate enough to have someone come with me which I think was a good idea in case the ride wouldn't have gone as smoothly as planned.

Good luck and share pics!

I bought my male pup (5-7lbs I think) a 12-14" collar. He wore that for a while, LOL! I think it was about a month or so.

We had a 10 hour drive back from the breeders. It was spilt into two parts as we stayed the night with my aunt about half way through. We stopped about every 3-4 hours. I didn't worry about not putting him on the ground. Of course, I didn't take him in trash-filled grassy places, but I think it's okay to let them walk on the ground.

Thanks for all the tips, everyone! I honestly had not thought of the threat of Parvo and other dangers if I let him out at busy rest stops (which, along the 401 in Southern Ontario, are one of my only options without taking a prolonged detour). I'm glad you guys brought that up! I'll definitely stock up some puppy pads and towels, and I'll be bringing lots of fresh water for the trip.

Daisy: I'll be going alone to meet the pup for the first time, but the boyfriend is keeping me company when I go to pick him up. :rolleyes:

RDM: Sorry! You have to come over and pry him from me. (Bring Woo.)

Usher was so little, I bought him a cat collar. He was 10 weeks old when I got him. The collars that just snap into the material are fine for a pup. Then you can move on to the real collars. LOL. Oh puppy breath, send me a sample.

How exciting--I can't wait to see the pictures. What fun you'll have.

We took 7 hour drives for two of our puppies--neither one peed on the way home. One of them, Pippin, howled the entire way home (I say that with no hyperbole--she was one unhappy puppy). The other one, Hamish, threw up repeatedly. We loved them anyway, though.....they were both fine at home--we set up an X-pen in the living room for the first few days and they slept crated in the bedroom at night. You might bring some bonine (non-drowsy Dramamine) with you just in case you've got a pup who gets car sick. we also used cat collars for them when they were little babies. And a couple puppy nylabones.

Also, I always forget how small puppy bladders are--when the book says get them out the minute they wake up from a nap, don't try and push it to 63 seconds.

How are you going to stand the next 8 weeks.....

How are you going to stand the next 8 weeks.....

Your guess is as good as mine. I'm so fidgety with excitement!

Thanks again for tips, everyone. Keep them coming. :rolleyes: It's always fun to hear about other people's experiences when puppies come home!

To make matters worse (or better, I guess dpeending on how you look at it), I stumbled upon a wonderful mom-and-pop pet shop that carries all top brand foods (EVO, Fromm, California Natural, to name a few... not a "popular" brand in sight), and one of the employees has a BC that he runs agility with! His eyes lit up when he found out I was soon getting my BC puppy - he said the puppy is more than welcome to visit the store with me. :D They also carry awesome toys, non-toxic cleaning products, Lupine collars... everything. <333

I also spoke with the vet that I take my ferrets to, regarding my incoming addition. I'll be calling them in the new year to get pup's first appointment. :D

As for names... I know for sure that I'm getting a boy, and I'm quite set on the name Finnegan.

Hello all. I got a new puppy last week. He was flown to me and I picked him up at the airport. I am writing a weekly digest about how I am raising him, what lessons he learns each week and how I teach them and I'm including pictures. I email it out every Sunday and will continue this through his training on sheep and trialing and then likely begin again with another puppy.

If you would like to subscribe you can do so here.

The first newsletter went out to subscribers last Sunday and was well received. You can read some of the comments on the website.

Regarding a collar, I have a small one for puppies that can be adjusted as they grow until they can wear a leather collar. The first thing I do when I receive a new puppy is feed it. In the same way that humans gather in the kitchen over food, puppies bond strongly over food, so I usually give them a snuggle and a chance to pee, then I feed them and offer them a drink, so that they realize that I'm now the one doing the nurturing. It's worked very well for me over the years.

I have a girlfriend who trains thoroughbred race horses and when she gets a new youngster in for training, the first thing she does is feed it by hand. She tells me that when she sees those horses after they've moved away from her, they remember her and she swears it's that first bit of hand fed food.

The other thing I would recommend is even though you're excited and nervous about your new puppy when you first get to it, try to be quiet and calm as your nervousness will transfer and it's got enough going on. To raise a calm, thoughtful dog, you have to be the example and I belive that there's much that begins from the first contact.

Cheers all,

A few baby gates are always helpful for those times that you don't want puppy having access to the entire house or to keep puppy in the same room that you are in. I didn't always crate my puppies when I was taking a shower or if I was only going to be gone for a few minutes, but I did gate them in the kitchen so they didn't potty on carpet, rip things apart, etc.

Lizmo - I had seen a ton of dog name sites, but not that one! I bookmarked it - awesome name reference, and GORGEOUS old paintings and illustrations. <3

Indydog - Yeah, I've had people recommend that to me, as well as that one with the heating pad inside for warmth. I may pick up one of each.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you mention somewhere already who the sire & dam are? The bitch looks very much like a "cousin" of my young dog.

ETA: On closer inspection, I don't think she's the cousin, but they do look a lot alike, IMO. But I am still curious as to how the bitch is bred. Maybe they share some relatives.

Hiya,

I know of Mary's dogs, but I am not familiar with Rio's breeding.

The dog I was thinking of is Norm Close's Tess, esp the bottom pics of her on the hay and in the grass. Guess I'm off the mark unless it turns out they are related.

Congrats on the pup! Like most of us seem to be, I am looking forward to your pics!