BC Boards

BC-specific Puppy Prep

My pup and I (and two older dogs) had an eight hour drive home. No worries! I stopped several times to let him out to pee - just didn't stop at "normal" places (rest stops, convenience stores) - I just found a dirt road or an office that was closed with some grass around. At some point, letting the dog pee (if he will) seems better than even that first "pee in the crate is OK" message. This will likely depend a lot on your neighborhoods!

A vet recommended to me to get a puppy dog appeasing pheromone (DAP) collar. They're specifically designed for pups, and once the package is opened they last about four weeks. Vet said it might help calm him down for the ride and the new home - but since he's never really had "issues" about anything new, I don't know if it worked or not! You can google them - it certainly can't hurt. BTW, this isn't a "hold onto a leash" type collar - looks more like a (shudder) flea collar.

Yes, yes, more photos!!

diane

Mary's Rio comes from Ivan Wier. not related to Norm's dogs at all. Both Coal and Rio are nice dogs. Coal made top 40 in Sturgis this past fall as a young open dog.

In December I don't think you need to worry about outside potty breaks on your drive in Ontario.... you will be able to tell in the snow if another dog has been there if you have to get him out. I took a litter of 4 down to Kentucky in a large vari kennel last February, and never had to stop for them. No pee in the crate either. They just slept. Did not give them water or food before the drive. That just complicates things.

Let Mary know how long your drive is, and she will probably not give them breakfast that day. Last I knew she fed pro-plan, so make sure that is what you have for the transition to your new food. Congrats... you will have fun.

(edited for spelling)

It's getting closer! You must be excited to go see them!

They are very cute!

Oh my gosh I am SO EXCITED. I'm just praying that weather holds out. IF the weather is really bad, we've agreed that I'll choose a pup based on photos and Mary's personality descriptions, but I would -really- like to pick out my own pup. Here's hoping for clear skies!