BC Boards

Newbie & Have Questions

I have been here since I got my new BC puppy, "Lafitte" (name of a legendary pirate in New Orleans, nobody out of New Orleans gets it so I thought I'd explain). Lafitte is almost five months now and the best thing to come into my life in a while.

I didn't find out that the breeder I got him from was less than honorable until he arrived, skinny, dirty, full of worms, etc. I actually found out about him at this site and I feel so stupid for falling for what it seems only the most ignorant and naive people could fall for. I got my dog from Richard Sw*fford (gulp) and as a result don't know if my dog is of the lineage he is supposed to be from or anything about his background.

When he first arrived at 12 weeks, he seemed to be frightened of everything (noise, people, garbage bags, etc). Now, since I have socialized him as much as possible, he seems to just be cautious, with the exception of UPS trucks and kids on skates, but extremely well adjusted and happy. The biggest problem I am having now is that I cannot seem to brush him. He gets so frightened of the brush that he does everything he can to get away from me. I have tried to feed him treats but he would rather not have them. Food has never worked that well with him. I tried to show him that it would not hurt him by brushing my hair with it, but he ran towards it growling and lunged for it. I really need some help with this - I am at a real loss for solutions. Also, here is a picture of him.

I would appreciate all of the advice and encouragement I can get. I know that some of you get angry with people like me who don't seem to have done their research, and trust me, I thought I had done my research and am angry to find out I was wrong. I know I made a mistake but I am glad I have this puppy and need positive advice, please.

dscn2339ou2.jpg

Great name! I was in NO a few years back and got the tour of the infamous tavern that the pirate was supposed to have frequented.

A couple of things (from someone whose dog also hates the brush, but now tolerates it). Some dogs just don't like being brushed - but they do need to tolerate it from time to time to keep their coat healthy.

I wouldn't attempt to brush him for a while - a week or more - to get him to calm down a bit in regard to brushing. A pup that age doesn't really need a lot of brushing anyway. Finger comb out his coat to prevent mats (I'm assuming he is okay with that?)

Then, the first thing I would do is get a different brush. He has negative associations with that brush, so I would get one that looks very different. Dublin doesn't react at all to a "curry comb" so I used that at first. The point isn't to give him a thorough brushing now, just to have him tolerate the brush for a stroke or two. *Very* gradually increase it - only one or two brush strokes/day the first week, staying away from the hind quarters as that is a sensitive area for many dogs.

Pairing it with a treat is very helpful but may not work for you right now. Many young pups aren't highly food motivated. Dublin didn't care about food until he was 6 months or so.

Yes, he is totally OK with me brushing him. When we were still getting comfortable with one another he would get startled at the touch and try and nip at my hand, but now he knows to look and see if it is my hand or a brush first, and he is fine with my hand. Loves belly rubs, etc. Thanks you for the feedback!

What a cute pup! :rolleyes:

If he tolerates you petting him, you can introduce the brushing gradually as described above. When he is tired from playing or perhaps when he's busy eating a meal, brush him the one or two strokes ONLY and praise him, happy voice, etc.

Both of my dogs run when I get out the brush. :D I get less attitude about it if I use a brush or comb that is plastic (and thus a bit more flexible) than one with metal teeth.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

Welcome! I know who Laffite is! My dad is a history buff :rolleyes:

As for getting a Sw*fford dog, we've all made mistakes. It sounds like you've learned from yours and, I trust, won't repeat it.

What kind of a brush do you have? Have you tried more than one type with him? Maybe his skin is very sensitive and the brush hurts. Or maybe it did at one time so he now wants nothing to do with it. Along with what Kitch has said, I would just keep the brush nearby when you are interacting with him. As he gets used to the presence of the brush, it's not as likely to be something he's on the lookout for. Make it a part of life without using it.

Good luck!

This is the brush:

brushqf8.jpg

I'm a graphic designer... easier to take a picture than to explain. Guess it looks a little scary, now that I photographed it. I'm going to try and get something with gentler bristles. You guys think that is a good idea?

Thank you... He doesn't have any knots in his fur, just sheds his undercoat a lot (probably b/c of he excessive heat here). Wanted to get him used to it and my other dogs (English Springer Spaniels) love getting brushed. I'll get what you suggested.

By the way, now I'm not scared to post anything. I was afraid that people would not want to help me because of my mistake (I guess that is just how bad I felt about the whole thing - except I ADORE my dog!). You guys are awesome!

Originally posted by arod:

This is the brush:

brushqf8.jpg

I'm a graphic designer... easier to take a picture than to explain. Guess it looks a little scary, now that I photographed it. I'm going to try and get something with gentler bristles. You guys think that is a good idea?

I had one of those brushes, too, and my dogs HATE it.

I've gotten to where I just give them baths and cut the "dreds" as someone else mentioned, out.

Really, they don't seem to need much brushing; their coats are beautiful and silky as is (although the shedding is pretty rough...).

Arod-

I too made the same mistake you did when I got my pup from him. My pup was near death at arrival and was in the worst condition imaginable and I was devastated. What had I done...... Although we still have some issue we are working through, it gets better with time, patience, training, and management.

The feeling like an idiot part lessens with time as well. I never felt more stupid in my life, after I found out what this place/person is. I just want to prevent as many people as possible from feeling this heartache and stupidity. Unfortunately, stopping his practices entirely proves will likely be a long uphill battle.

Hang in there. Zoey was afraid of EVERYTHING and sometimes I still describe her as afraid of life.

With something she was afraid of I would leave it on the floor for days at a time, ignore it, ignore her reactions to it. Then with the clicker and our check it out command I would have her inspect it. Then once she was comfortable I would move to holding the object (we did this with keys, cameras, brushes, etc) and asking her to approach. With the clicker and some VERY HIGH VALUE treats we worked to taking a picture, brushing, etc. Clicking all the time for the proper response. Clicker training can be a powerful and positive way to help a fearful dog through things.

A good guide is the book Click to Calm by Emma Parsons. It helped me a great deal.

Lauren

I used to use one of those scary metal ones and my cats and dogs hate it. Now I use something simillar to this - with a little handle thing.

cptcr40.GIF

with a handle

Both of my dogs are smooth/short hair so this does the job. When my BC was a puppy, I never brushed, just used my hands and hosed her if she gets dirty.

Yes, I have used a hose, and that was a rough one. Lafitte cried when it got close to him. Of course, I put it away and a week later used my two other dogs, Duke and Sheba (Springer Spaniels), examples.

We were all in the backyard and Duke and Sheba had gone swimming. Lafitte got in the pool and fetched once with some assistance from me(I was SO proud :rolleyes: ), but mainly ran around barking and getting excited about the other two swimming. He was just as filthy as the other two, but I hosed them off first, in front of him. He watched and then allowed me to hose him off without a problem. Luckily, with exceptions like the brush, he learns by watching them. He has come such a long way, it is amazing.

I bring him to work with me every day and on five to six walks a day, and an afternoon trip to the dog park every day. He has his ups and downs, that is for sure, but I am confident that we will get through this just fine.

I appreciate the advice on the clicker training - I am going to look into that. I have a trainer here in New Orleans that is doing private lessons with us and it has brought a great deal of confidence to me concerning him. He can heel perfectly and when he gets frightened we stop and he leans against my leg - I'll usually just pet him or touch him to reassure him that I am there and he is safe with me, but don't make a big deal out of it.

Lauren, thank you so much for sharing your experience with me about Zoey, it helps to hear what it was like for you and your success with her. I am SO grateful for this board and for everyone who participates in it.

Alison

Cricket HATES being brushed. However, the one place I can brush her with no problems at all, is outside. She will focus on a ball, and I can actually use scissors to cut out burrs :mad: (I HATE BURRS!!). So, I will toss the ball a couple of times, use the brush, then toss the ball. I know it seems ridiculous...but for me it works.

I'll chime in here too. Sienna HATED being brushed as well. I too started off with the same brush you posted and since have moved on to a rubber Kong brush. It works great and easy to clean. I haven't tried out the comb, but her breeder used one and she seemed to like it ok, she was just a pup though. One thing that made brush time more palatable: peanut butter! I used a clicker and worked in very small steps. Anytime she would go any length without protesting, I'd click-treat. If she ever turned back to nip, I'd give her a good "unh uh!" and make her keep her head straight. Also, starting with your hand/fingernails and then slipping in the brush worked too. Now, brush time is a non-issue.

I was afraid that people would not want to help me because of my mistake
Alison - If everyone who ever made a mistake was "banished" from the boards, there would be no forum here.

The reason people like Swa**ord are successful is that they can fool people. I've met others who were suckered by Swa**ord and his like - some have been unfortunate enough to lose their little pups or have run up big vet bills working to save them. At this point, you've learned your lesson and you are providing a good, loving, forever home for your dog and that's what counts.

Yes, I have used a hose, and that was a rough one. Lafitte cried when it got close to him
Many puppymills and BYBs keep dogs in filthy conditions. To clean things up a bit, they turn on the hose and hose kennels and cages down, dogs and all. No wonder he was scared of a hose if that ever happened to him.

Don't worry about "his lineage" - he is what he is no matter what it says on his papers (which are probably not worth the paper they are printed on). He will be the dog he is capable of being anyway, and I'm sure he'll be a happy dog under your care.

Be kind and gentle, don't magnify his fears (the "oh, you poor baby" reaction), and find ways to gently and gradually desensitize him to those things that frighten him. Your other dogs' confidence around things and situations will be a great help to relieving some of his anxieties and fears, as you have already noticed.

Best wishes to you all!

Lauren - Good to hear from you. I hope Zoey's doing well.

Someone once (recently?) made a comment about a poor-quality breeder and how the dogs always looked "wet" in the pictures. Some less-responsible folks may well just take them out and hose them down so they look clean for the "photo op".

Some dogs will never be comfy around a hose, even without an obvious reason. I have found with mine that being kind and matter-of-fact about using the hose (starting with feet and making progress as they become more accustomed) results in a dog that tolerates the hose even if it doesn't like the hose. Watching the other dogs put up with it makes it easier, I am sure.

Celt was accustomed to the house as a pup. He will let me do anything around him with a hose - he's even waiting for me at the hydrant when it's time to rinse off the mud and manure, no matter how cold or miserable the weather. I can do any part of him, including his face (careful with the ears and eyes).

Megan will never be as accepting but she manages to put up with it obviously reluctantly. I guess the "princess" is afraid she'll dissolve. She will gladly play with the stream of water however, but not with Celt's bounding enthusiasm.

Bute doesn't like it at all yet but finds a foot wash to not be as bad as he anticipated when it finally happens. I think he'll be fine about it when he manages to get dirty enough to need a real hosing-down.

I wonder just how much mental and physical baggage these puppy mill babies may carry for the rest of their lives because someone was greedy to make a buck...

The lucky ones are the ones like Zoey and Lafitte, who are blessed with loving homes.

Sue-

Zoey is doing great, thank you for asking. Well, other than probably needing three root canals (again crappy start in life = crappy teeth) on her canines. We have been trying to prevent any more wear, but I think the time has come.

I am going to start Rally-O with her soon. She is gaining more confidence and although I doubt she will ever be normal, she puts on a good act most of the time. In other words, we are trying. Mostly I am trying to recognize her limitations and work within her comfort zone.

We are looking to adopt a male and if things go well we will find a match soon. I think that this will help her too and help round out our family.

I truly wish puppy mills could be stopped. It sickens and saddens me what they go through and that for the most part it seems not much can be done. I am sure I don't know the half of it. But when I look down at my feet and see that black and white ball of fur all curled up or watch her play in the ocean, I cannot help but smile. I know she feels safe with us and that is something she has forever.

Lauren

My favorite grooming thing (I have rough coats) is a rotating teeth comb, like this one

A natural bristle brush is good too - or a pin brush with softer, thicker pins - something like this

Sounds like you're doing all the right things by your pup. Lucky pup to have landed in a loving, caring home, and to have the chance to use his brain.

You know, Lafitte and I had our third training session today. The trainer, who is excellent and has a great deal of experience training dogs / people told me today that he was very pleased with what he was seeing and that he has high hopes for Lafitte.

This guy is an ex-marine and is a real no-nonsense sort of guy - really made me feel good. Keep in mind, he is looking at Lafitte like a NORMAL dog because he is acting like a NORMAL dog, in fact, he is pretty exceptional, at that. We heeled perfectly - slowly, jogging, and stoping and starting repeatedly. We did this in a parking lot with cars pulling in and out and people walking around, but Lafitte did not let it bother him. It was AMAZING! :cool:

I am just so proud of him and am so excited that he is becoming more and more comfortable with his new life. I am sure that we will always have our battles but I really don't think Swa*ford got the best of him and that makes me really happy. Thank you all, again, for all of your advice. I will keep you posted on Lafitte's accomplishments. :rolleyes: