BC Boards

Looking For Insight

Hi!

So glad I found this site. I am the new owner of a "rescue" Border Collie - although I am an experienced trainer/instructor of other breeds and this "rescue" dog never was in a shelter; was a courtesy listing and I secured her from her home.

I am thoroughly enjoying the learning process about this breed and this dog. The little challenges I am encountering do not surprise me...however, I find I am in need of more breed insight (i.e. living with a border collie - and I'm sure I'll need more insight in the future).

She's 1 1/2 yrs., spayed, and seems to have a nice, even temperament (although I know that I will not be seeing the true dog for at least a month; she is only here 2 1/2 weeks and is still in a major adjustment phase). I think she's doing very well for a dog that was plucked out of a home and thrust into another home.

"Play growling" She does a lot of it. I bred, owned and trained an aggressive breed before, and with them, this was never allowed. I'm thinking the former owners did a lot of wrestling, tugging, and roughhousing as she was growing up. Have decided that for now, we don't want to encourage that, however, is play growling ok in the border collie world (that is, play growling between handler and dog)?

Also, a new glitch we just discovered. She was acting weird when I was brushing my other dog, and freaks if I try to put the brush near her. So yesterday, I decided to start exploring by just taking my fingers and raking them through her hair down her back (simulating a brush) and she turned to snap at me. Just a snap; not a bite (although I have quick reflexes) and so I corrected her (she responds very well to just voice correction) and then she came over all submissive and wanted to be loved. Hmmm. Any thought on this (other than I would imagine she either didn't get groomed till late in life...or she had a bad experience with it.) I know this will be a slow process and I know how to work through it, but just wanted to get a border collie perspective on it.

My first thought would be to call the former owners...however, they were moving (that's why they decided to give her up) and I've called them once (just about general food questions) and they just don't seem as helpful or as concerned as I would think they would be. They have never contacted me to see how she adjusted or how she was doing, and I find that to be a little strange (making me wonder if there were some incidents that they were leaving out.)

Well, I'll take any thoughts, help, ideas, or just general knowledge....I appreciate any comments I may get.

thanks!

"Play growling" She does a lot of it. I bred, owned and trained an aggressive breed before, and with them, this was never allowed. I'm thinking the former owners did a lot of wrestling, tugging, and roughhousing as she was growing up. Have decided that for now, we don't want to encourage that, however, is play growling ok in the border collie world (that is, play growling between handler and dog)?
Howdy!

I can't call myself a real trainer, but I've some experience with dogs. Having never owned an "aggressive" breed (not sure that I know any truly aggressive breeds - just breeds that are more assertive than others), I've never worried about play growling. Pretty much every dog I've ever owned has 'play growled' when engaged in a tug-o-war with me. Heck, I growl right back! This has never resulted in any discipline problems for me, not with GSDs, nor Cockers, nor GSPs, nor general mutts, nor with BCs either. I do make a point of ending the game on a control note - I end the game, the dog doesn't. Also, outside the game context, growling isn't permitted at all.

Now, I'm a big dominant guy, and what works for me might not work for anyone else; Nor, as I said, am I a trainer - I've just owned a dog or five, and worked with quite a few more.

First, welcome to the Boards! :D There are a lot of very s.m.a.r.t people, never mind bc people, here. You'll get some good insight into how the border collie behaves and what they expect of a good owner (what the dog expects, that is)...

And second, thank you from all of us for adopting a border collie in need. You won't ever regret it.

Sounds to me like your new girl (what's her name, BTW?) didn't have much in the way of attention in her old home. At 1 1/2 yrs. she should be familiar with grooming, even if she isn't all that fond of it. So perhaps she was never groomed with a brush, perhaps with a painful one, or too hard, or threatened with one :rolleyes: . My girl Skye doesn't like being brushed (she starts walking away slowly so I end up grooming her tail) but she does tolerate it. When she was a puppy, the trainer suggested smearing some peanut butter on the fridge door and letting her lick it while I did some gentle brushing, just to get her accustomed to the sensation. How is your girl with other kinds of touching or is it just the brush? Perhaps you can try first with one with very soft bristles so it is a more pleasant experience for her to start with and then, over time, move on to one with a bit harder bristles.

In regards to play growling, we have some of that here when it comes to playing with soft squishy toys, interspersed with sharp barks and the zoomies. I think its all in good fun if you can read the other body language going on. Of course, if there is lip curling or snapping, that's a different matter all together. But soft, playful growling in my books is acceptable if everybody knows the rules. We don't so much rough-house here as run around and play you can't catch me or I've got your toy, try and get it :D .

It appears your dog is quite soft and easily corrected (which is true for many bcs I think - mine as well) all you need to provide is consistency, lots of interaction (with you, other dogs, all types of people and social scenarios), basic manners and fun! And I'm sure any opportunity for real excitement like an introduction to sheep or agility would let your new dog really shine.

Best of luck,

Ailsa

Howdy!

I can't call myself a real trainer, but I've some experience with dogs. Having never owned an "aggressive" breed (not sure that I know any truly aggressive breeds - just breeds that are more assertive than others), I've never worried about play growling. Pretty much every dog I've ever owned has 'play growled' when engaged in a tug-o-war with me. Heck, I growl right back! This has never resulted in any discipline problems for me, not with GSDs, nor Cockers, nor GSPs, nor general mutts, nor with BCs either. I do make a point of ending the game on a control note - I end the game, the dog doesn't. Also, outside the game context, growling isn't permitted at all.

Now, I'm a big dominant guy, and what works for me might not work for anyone else; Nor, as I said, am I a trainer - I've just owned a dog or five, and worked with quite a few more.

oops. I forgot that "aggressive" is not a politically correct term anymore. Well 25+ years w/GSDs and I never encouraged any kind of growling in a puppy/young dog with that breed. But I know other breeds have it and people and their dogs live well with it.

I guess my biggest concern right now if not knowing the dog and not being able to "read" play growling vs regular growling. We are all still adjusting and it will be a long process. But I am really enjoying it and I thank you for your very prompt response!!

First, welcome to the Boards! :D There are a lot of very s.m.a.r.t people, never mind bc people, here. You'll get some good insight into how the border collie behaves and what they expect of a good owner (what the dog expects, that is)...

And second, thank you from all of us for adopting a border collie in need. You won't ever regret it.

Sounds to me like your new girl (what's her name, BTW?) didn't have much in the way of attention in her old home. At 1 1/2 yrs. she should be familiar with grooming, even if she isn't all that fond of it. So perhaps she was never groomed with a brush, perhaps with a painful one, or too hard, or threatened with one :rolleyes: . My girl Skye doesn't like being brushed (she starts walking away slowly so I end up grooming her tail) but she does tolerate it. When she was a puppy, the trainer suggested smearing some peanut butter on the fridge door and letting her lick it while I did some gentle brushing, just to get her accustomed to the sensation. How is your girl with other kinds of touching or is it just the brush? Perhaps you can try first with one with very soft bristles so it is a more pleasant experience for her to start with and then, over time, move on to one with a bit harder bristles.

In regards to play growling, we have some of that here when it comes to playing with soft squishy toys, interspersed with sharp barks and the zoomies. I think its all in good fun if you can read the other body language going on. Of course, if there is lip curling or snapping, that's a different matter all together. But soft, playful growling in my books is acceptable if everybody knows the rules. We don't so much rough-house here as run around and play you can't catch me or I've got your toy, try and get it :D .

It appears your dog is quite soft and easily corrected (which is true for many bcs I think - mine as well) all you need to provide is consistency, lots of interaction (with you, other dogs, all types of people and social scenarios), basic manners and fun! And I'm sure any opportunity for real excitement like an introduction to sheep or agility would let your new dog really shine.

Best of luck,

Ailsa

Hi Alisa!

Wow! two responses almost immediately. I've always said that dog people (not matter what the breed) are the BEST!

I just have to keep remembering that the key word here is SLOW. This is a slow process. I really like the soft bristle brush -- wow -- you'd think I'd have thought of that! I always use a wire brush and that's what I was using at first. Come the time we get to brush work, I will remember to start out maybe even with the smooth side (back) of the brush and work over to the soft bristle.

Over two weeks now, and she's been able to be in the yard (fenced) off leash. But today she has regressed. Goes out and goes into a panic mode. Can see her just saying "Wait! Where am I? Who are these people." Then we pick up the ball and she's over it. Sometimes just breaks my heart how these dogs are so up-ended. But I know how adaptable dogs are and they do adapt.

Thanks for your response. And her name is Kylie! I'll try to post a photo soon.

Welcome aboard! You've come to the right place for everything border collie, for sure. There are some amazing members posting on the boards, as Ailsa said, smart, and willing to help out with all kinds of different questions, willing to debate training styles civilly, posting wonderful bc pictures, you just can't beat it.

(I actually brush my rough coated bc with one of my own hand-me-down hairbrushes, and I don't brush the smooth-coated one at all!)

Congratulations and thank you for taking in this girl. Hope the two of you enjoy each other for many years.

Brushing - my Buzz boy never liked being brushed, much as I tried to de-sensitize him to it. When we got him x rayed a couple months ago, much to our surprise, the orthopedist said he's got hip dysplasia, and even DH and I could see it. He's almost 10, has never shown any signs of HD, is lean, fit and active. I think possibly that any sort of touch on his hip bones, which are not padded at all as he's so lean, is uncomfortable for him. Just an idea.

The growling . . . I miss it. Sami is 13, Shoshone maybe 12, maybe older, and Buzz is 10. When they were younger, there were a lot of Extreme Shark Attacks in the living room of an evening. I do still play tug, especially w/B, and growling is just part of the game. I taught drop it early on to each dog, especially in the context of a toy, and most drop it/gimme cues are followed by a toss to go fetch or more tug.

There's a distinct difference between - I'm eating you for lunch and Bet you can't catch me/Wheeeee! The warning growl is more focused and intense, the play growl is just a lot of noise.

Have a good time!

Ruth n the BC3

Welcome!

I think, if you were just running your hand down her back and she got agitated by that, maybe you should get her checked out by a vet, or was this an isolated incident and she loves you touching any other time? I used to use a wire brush, but Daisy HATED it. So I switched to a soft one and she is much much better with it now! She also growls a lot when we are playing, and it's no problem. I always end the game!

Anyway, good luck!

First, big thank you for taking in a rescue girl. And second -welcome to the boards! As Ailsa said, you'll find a lot of experience and wisdom here...

My male BC just hated to be brushed. I've tried various grooming implements, and basically started with the softest I could find, and brushed every day for a very short time just to get him used to the sensation. Treats after and quiet praise when doing it, but not too much. With mine I can overdo this bit and he's like - ' what? what Whaaat? Ohmigod I see what you mean and now I'm VERY scared.' :rolleyes:

I also have him put his front paws on the garden seat so I can stand astride him while I brush. I now use a furminator ( very carefully - I know some professional groomers don't like them) and he's fine with that.

Welcome!

I think, if you were just running your hand down her back and she got agitated by that, maybe you should get her checked out by a vet, or was this an isolated incident and she loves you touching any other time? I used to use a wire brush, but Daisy HATED it. So I switched to a soft one and she is much much better with it now! She also growls a lot when we are playing, and it's no problem. I always end the game!

Anyway, good luck!

Hi! thanks for your response.

Actually she LOVES to be petted/stroked down the back.

When she snapped, it was because I (deliberately) raked my fingers down her back like a brush would. I wanted to see her response without the brush (i.e. was she hit with a brush? or does she not like the feel of the brush?) I think it is the latter one. We will work on that once she is comfortable here and she is truly ours (in her mind.) The former owner did tell me she absolutely HATED having her feet touched/toenails. So when she gets in my lap, I have been gently touching the feet and nails. That has been going much better than the brush thing.

thanks again

Some dogs simply do not like being brushed and learned they could stop the activity by growling, snapping, grabbing, or even biting. She may just need to learn that she will be brushed and it won't be painful. She may even grow to like it. But as you and others have pointed out, these are early days and she is still in the process of settling in and becoming your dog.

I've had a couple of puppies who tantrummed fiercely when first brushed. I can see how that could have developed into a dog who is allowed to refuse being groomed. This often happens with nail trimming, though there it is often a combination of the owner being nerve wracked by cutting the quick and the dog shrieking, struggling and/or fighting. I can't tell you how many people I know whose dogs only get their nails trimmed at the vet or groomer.

Some dogs simply do not like being brushed and learned they could stop the activity by growling, snapping, grabbing, or even biting. She may just need to learn that she will be brushed and it won't be painful. She may even grow to like it. But as you and others have pointed out, these are early days and she is still in the process of settling in and becoming your dog.

I've had a couple of puppies who tantrummed fiercely when first brushed. I can see how that could have developed into a dog who is allowed to refuse being groomed. This often happens with nail trimming, though there it is often a combination of the owner being nerve wracked by cutting the quick and the dog shrieking, struggling and/or fighting. I can't tell you how many people I know whose dogs only get their nails trimmed at the vet or groomer.

ahhh...you make a VERY good point. You are right...many puppies learn to avoid grooming my pitching a temper tantrum and the owner just gives up. And this could also be the case...not necessarily a traumatic experience with the groomer. Thanks for your insight.

Welcome! :rolleyes: You'll find this board to be invaluable!! :D

Scooter isn't thrilled about being groomed either, but he tolerates it. We raised him from a pup, so he's used to being touched--ears, paws, etc. This may sound too simple, and it may not work for you, but I always start slow and let Scooter touch and explore the brush with his nose. That seems to keep him from getting too stressed out. I also use a brush, stroke with the hand, brush, motion so it feels more like a massage or being petted. :D I don't know too many dogs who actually enjoy being groomed. :D

Welcome! :rolleyes: You'll find this board to be invaluable!! :D

Scooter isn't thrilled about being groomed either, but he tolerates it. We raised him from a pup, so he's used to being touched--ears, paws, etc. This may sound too simple, and it may not work for you, but I always start slow and let Scooter touch and explore the brush with his nose. That seems to keep him from getting too stressed out. I also use a brush, stroke with the hand, brush, motion so it feels more like a massage or being petted. :D I don't know too many dogs who actually enjoy being groomed. :D

thanks so much. I'll keep all that in mind in the future. And...I have already found the board to be invaluable!! My thanks so much to everyone!

Back to the growling - a dog that isn't allowed to show its displeasure by growling is a lot more dangerous than one that is allowed to warn you.

A reactive breed like a BC can be in like lightning with its teeth if growling is suppressed.

If she does give you a warning growl rather than a play growl. be thankful. You may have quick reflexes but trust me - your dog's are many times quicker and if she wanted to bite, she would. Don't push your luck though.

(Seems like you are doing the right thing with the grooming.)

If your dog feels the need to growl at you (as opposed to play growling) it's just communication. Think what you are doing to worry her and change tack. With ours who came to us like yours, he would growl and bite if approached head on but was a pussycat if steered from behind. Take away the need for her to growl rather than "not allow it".

Play growling is certainly no big deal.

Pam

oops. I forgot that "aggressive" is not a politically correct term anymore.

Well, not trying to bust your chops, really. I just try to be precise, where I can - I frankly haven't found any breed that's inherently ill-mannered. I have, though, found a number of breeds that are stubborn, assertive, and hard-headed. People might label that "aggressive," but I find that thinking of them as assertive, stubborn, and heard-headed breeds is more useful to my outlook when dealing with them.

Well 25+ years w/GSDs and I never encouraged any kind of growling in a puppy/young dog with that breed. But I know other breeds have it and people and their dogs live well with it.

Sure, and that makes a lot of sense to me, if you're going to be playing around people who don't know dogs; Reputation- and perception-management is increasingly important in an era of an increasingly dog-ignorant population. I personally have no problems with GSDs and play growling, but that's because every one of then, I only tollerated it in the context of play - never anywhere else. That hardly makes me an expert, though.

I guess my biggest concern right now if not knowing the dog and not being able to "read" play growling vs regular growling. We are all still adjusting and it will be a long process. But I am really enjoying it and I thank you for your very prompt response!!
You're welcome, and my pleasure!

BCs, in my experience, give pretty obvious body-language cues as to their intent or feelings at the moment - I've been hit a couple times by dogs that I mis-read, but in hindsight, I should've seen them coming - the cues were all there, I just failed to read them. If you've got some skill at reading canine body language, you shouldn't have any trouble determining the difference in play and serious intent.

BTW: The dogs that hit me didn't growl at all first - Their warning was in their posture and body language, and I simply didn't see it.

Anyway, I'm hardly an expert - We've got other people in here who've forgotten more than I ever knew about BCs, and dog-handling in general.

Well, not trying to bust your chops, really. I just try to be precise, where I can - I frankly haven't found any breed that's inherently ill-mannered. I have, though, found a number of breeds that are stubborn, assertive, and hard-headed. People might label that "aggressive," but I find that thinking of them as assertive, stubborn, and heard-headed breeds is more useful to my outlook when dealing with them.

Sure, and that makes a lot of sense to me, if you're going to be playing around people who don't know dogs; Reputation- and perception-management is increasingly important in an era of an increasingly dog-ignorant population. I personally have no problems with GSDs and play growling, but that's because every one of then, I only tollerated it in the context of play - never anywhere else. That hardly makes me an expert, though.

You're welcome, and my pleasure!

BCs, in my experience, give pretty obvious body-language cues as to their intent or feelings at the moment - I've been hit a couple times by dogs that I mis-read, but in hindsight, I should've seen them coming - the cues were all there, I just failed to read them. If you've got some skill at reading canine body language, you shouldn't have any trouble determining the difference in play and serious intent.

BTW: The dogs that hit me didn't growl at all first - Their warning was in their posture and body language, and I simply didn't see it.

Anyway, I'm hardly an expert - We've got other people in here who've forgotten more than I ever knew about BCs, and dog-handling in general.

some very good points. thanks so much.

Back to the growling - a dog that isn't allowed to show its displeasure by growling is a lot more dangerous than one that is allowed to warn you.

A reactive breed like a BC can be in like lightning with its teeth if growling is suppressed.

If she does give you a warning growl rather than a play growl. be thankful. You may have quick reflexes but trust me - your dog's are many times quicker and if she wanted to bite, she would. Don't push your luck though.

(Seems like you are doing the right thing with the grooming.)

If your dog feels the need to growl at you (as opposed to play growling) it's just communication. Think what you are doing to worry her and change tack. With ours who came to us like yours, he would growl and bite if approached head on but was a pussycat if steered from behind. Take away the need for her to growl rather than "not allow it".

Play growling is certainly no big deal.

Pam

hmmm...you are correct. When she snapped at me, there was no growl. It was reactive. And though her mouth did touch me, she probably easily could have bitten me but didn't. It's always hard when you don't know the history of the animal, so we're all just testing the waters right now.

None of my GSDs (even the ones I got as young adults) did not play growl...so this is quite new to me.

thanks for your ideas; I appreciate them.

My Aussie girl hates being brushed too. I try to do it a little at a time and then play ball in between. She has never growled at me in play or otherwise. We got her as a pup so maybe that is why. You will love this forum; the people are truly amazing. We are into herding and the dogs absolutely love it. It is a great activity to do with your dog so you might have her tested and see if she takes to it. Welcome. Narita

Well, thinking of the subject, and realizing that Suka is going to blow coat like a furry blizzard - real soon now - I went and got a rubber groomer's mit with the nifty little teeth all over it. Let me tell ya - She was in heaven when I tried it on her coat. I may never get a brush.

All my dogs have been fine with brushing until I got Zeb. He hated brushing, so I tried different brushes. I finally settled on a pin brush and started with gentle brushing and watched him for a reaction to the different areas I brushed. Like most dogs I've met, he liked being scratched under his collar. If I had to wear a collar regularly, I think I would enjoy a good scratch where it normally rested too. I shifted his collar up a bit or removed it and just brushed there (back of the neck, where the collar would rest), then worked outward a bit. If he started to get distressed, I moved back to the area he was most comfortable with for a bit. It took time, but now he loves brushing. He still has his favorite spots to be brushed but he now associates the brush with feeling good.

Well, thinking of the subject, and realizing that Suka is going to blow coat like a furry blizzard - real soon now - I went and got a rubber groomer's mit with the nifty little teeth all over it. Let me tell ya - She was in heaven when I tried it on her coat. I may never get a brush.

THAT might be worth a shot. Does it do as well as a brush?

THAT might be worth a shot. Does it do as well as a brush?

Well, I don't think it'll work on matting at all. But Suka's coat looks really good right now, and she's got no matting, nor am I going to let it get to that point. The mitt's been pulling loose hair out of her in small hands-full. She hasn't started blowing coat yet, so we've yet to see how it deals with that - I suspect it'll do well, though.

One point - Suka's coat is semi-rough; the mitt might not work as well on a real rough coat.

Hi and welcome - and thank you on your new dog's behalf.

On the play growling thing - my girl in particular does that when we're playing tuggy (and like someone else said, I growl right back at her and that increases the fun of the game. (BTW, she knows to give up the tuggy when I ask.) She also does growly stuff when we're doing agility - if she's made a mistake, say in the weavers, and has to do it over, she will growl to herself as much as to say "I'll show you - I'm going to be brilliant".

My boy, now 6, is quite body touch, and quite inclined to do that reactive snap thing. (He was being seen for a sore foot - strained ligament - one time, and the vet was putting his face right down near Fergus - with both of us holding the dog. I warned the vet about his tendency to react with a "snap first, ask questions afterwards" - and the very nice vet said - "Not a problem - he's a Border Collie" - in other words, he'd encountered that sort of thing before and didn't see it as a major problem, since he was ready for it. Nice vet. :rolleyes:

Grooming is Fergus's least favorite activity, but he's learnt to tolerate it, although I make sure I'm steadying him as much as possible.

Soft brush is good for starters, but won't get undercoat out. I do use the furminator sometimes (although, as said, professional groomers don't like it as it tends to break the coat.) I think some use a Coat King successfully. My favorite for effectiveness and gentleness is a rotating tooth comb - it can get through any knots without pulling the coat too much.

Hi and welcome - and thank you on your new dog's behalf.

On the play growling thing - my girl in particular does that when we're playing tuggy (and like someone else said, I growl right back at her and that increases the fun of the game. (BTW, she knows to give up the tuggy when I ask.) She also does growly stuff when we're doing agility - if she's made a mistake, say in the weavers, and has to do it over, she will growl to herself as much as to say "I'll show you - I'm going to be brilliant".

My boy, now 6, is quite body touch, and quite inclined to do that reactive snap thing. (He was being seen for a sore foot - strained ligament - one time, and the vet was putting his face right down near Fergus - with both of us holding the dog. I warned the vet about his tendency to react with a "snap first, ask questions afterwards" - and the very nice vet said - "Not a problem - he's a Border Collie" - in other words, he'd encountered that sort of thing before and didn't see it as a major problem, since he was ready for it. Nice vet. :rolleyes:

Grooming is Fergus's least favorite activity, but he's learnt to tolerate it, although I make sure I'm steadying him as much as possible.

Soft brush is good for starters, but won't get undercoat out. I do use the furminator sometimes (although, as said, professional groomers don't like it as it tends to break the coat.) I think some use a Coat King successfully. My favorite for effectiveness and gentleness is a rotating tooth comb - it can get through any knots without pulling the coat too much.

Hi

Thanks so much for the reply. It's all very helpful.

The growly thing is something that I'm gonna have to work through. She's been with us only 3 weeks on Tuesday and has made really great strides. But I noticed that if I stamp my feet (as if challenging while playing), she runs over and growls. Today I was testing a part of my ceramic tile floor to see if it was moving, and as I pushed with one foot, she ran over and growled. My first instinct is to say that this was probably part of a playing ritual with her former owners (they had two teenage boys), however, we are all still getting to know one another and trying to read these things will take time. What if they did a lot of this rough growly play, and she got so excited one time and bit someone. I'll never know. So I'm still trying to feel my way through this. So everyone's comments on the play growling have been VERY VERY helpful.

I do know one thing: I am just fascinated by this breed and this dog. She is so much fun and is really a great girl. We've moved past the "not getting along" stage with my other dog and have worked through some other small challenges. I am itching to get the old agility equipment out, but my trainer's brain tells me to wait a few more weeks and start with obedience work first (she was ob. trained by her former owners). She still gets that "panic" look in her eye every so often, telling me she is still confused at times as to why she is here and who we are. The other night I was trying to see if they taught her any tricks (sit up, shake hands, etc.) and so using food, I put my hand out and said "Shake?".... she growled and ran away! LOL Who knows what that is about!!! Was it a play growl? I don't think so, but who knows. I don't know her well enough yet. So like I said, we take it all very slowly.

I am very grateful to everyone for their comments and help. And...I am enjoying reading the other posts that also give me insight into Border Collie character.

Thanks again to everyone