BC Boards

Most aggressive dog breed....

I'd believe it...

Here is Jade defending herself against the evil sausage:

post-8519-1217253774_thumb.jpg

and the face of evil itself:

post-8519-1217253780_thumb.jpg

This is my brother's girlfriend's dog. I've never had any experience with a doxie before this dog. She doesn't seem to be aggressive in any sort of way (yet, that I know of), but she makes me almost hate the breed because she's so dumb (maybe I'm just used to the canine einstein!). It also doesn't help that her owners haven't got a clue what they're doing. We ended up getting our dogs about the same time, only difference was I spent a year planning Jade, whereas they spent about a month deciding that they wanted one. Not much preparation (that's one of my biggest pet peeves, not preparing for a dog). I can't help but think that a doxie (or any sort of hound?) would be a bad idea for a first dog. Originally, they were trying to decide between a doxie and a Corgi... good lord I wish they would have gotten a corgi. At least it'd be trainable, or I could have hi-jacked it's training. Things that took me 15 minutes to teach Jade took days to teach the doxie.

IMO, I can't stand labs. I have yet to meet one that had more than two brain cells, manners, or sensibility- they're just too dumb for me to handle.

IMO, I can't stand labs. I have yet to meet one that had more than two brain cells, manners, or sensibility- they're just too dumb for me to handle.

That doxie is incredibly cute!

As for labs, it isn't that they're dumb - Most are actually pretty bright, if you can get their attention. It's just that they're so full of muscular enthusiasm, that they never stop to think! I consider Labs to be the Frat Boys of the dog world, and they're eternally on spring break! Most dogs have a life; Labs have a party.

Guest SweetJordan

Labs are not dumb. As the owner of a smart well behaved lab I'll pretend you didn't say that. :rolleyes: If they didn't have manners or brains they wouldn't be used as leader dogs. For one thing many labs are underexercised, people who get them don't realize that they can't just go for a short walk and sit around for the rest of the day. Granted they aren't nearly the same as having a BC, but I actually find that Riley is easier to exercise. Throwing a frisbee isn't much work and when we go biking Riley takes me, I never have to peddle. Whereas Boomer gets me walking for at least 90 minutes a day. He's a simple problem solver, but isn't a complex problem solver like Riley is. He was extremely easy to train and his vocabulary is very high, but that's mainly due to me talking to him all the time. I often think of it like this Boomer would be on the honor roll whereas your typically BC would be skipping grades. I can tell you though that Boomer is smarter than the average lab, and although athletic he doesn't hold a torch to Riley. She can run circles around him all day, and wearing out her her mind takes much more work of course.

But regarding a truly dumb dog that's not a bad thing for most people. Your typically dog owner is actually better off with a dumb dog, because they simply can't handle a smart dog. Look at how many people get a BC because they heard "that they're smart." And that's their reasoning, then they find themselves in over their heads and the dog looking for a new home.

Guest SweetJordan
That doxie is incredibly cute!

As for labs, it isn't that they're dumb - Most are actually pretty bright, if you can get their attention. It's just that they're so full of muscular enthusiasm, that they never stop to think! I consider Labs to be the Frat Boys of the dog world, and they're eternally on spring break! Most dogs have a life; Labs have a party.

Haha you pretty much nailed it. Except fortunatly for me Boomer thinks everything I do is fancinating so it's usually not too hard to get his attention.

Labs are not dumb. As the owner of a smart well behaved lab I'll pretend you didn't say that. :rolleyes: If they didn't have manners or brains they wouldn't be used as leader dogs.

Personally, I've never met a smart lab. I'd love to though!! I would LOVE to be proven wrong!! :D I know they exist somewhere in the world, I could never figure out how labs could be used as seeing-eye/leader dogs, figured there must be some smart ones somewhere, I just personally haven't met any. I know they're certainly about the most happy-go-lucky breed out there though!!

A couple of years ago at my high school, they had a bunch of drug-sniffing dogs come in to search the school. All of a sudden, our sweet little old lady English teacher got called to the office and was asked to open her trunk, that the dog had alerted her car. Out of all the GSDs that were there, the one lab decided to alert everyone that the teacher had two 50-lb bags of kibble in her trunk!!!

We never have figured out how none of the dogs found any drugs, everyone knows there were always some in the lockers/cars/pockets of students there... we're guessing the cops were dirty and alerted the druggy kids.

Labs are not dumb. As the owner of a smart well behaved lab I'll pretend you didn't say that. :rolleyes: Look at how many people get a BC because they heard "that they're smart." And that's their reasoning, then they find themselves in over their heads and the dog looking for a new home.

I totally agree. I've owned owned, trained, and loved (never bred) two bc's and one field trial lab. Our well bred field trial lab was extremely intelligent- the work field trial labs do is incredible. Ever been to a retriever field trial? It's pretty amazing work. Our lab was every bit as intelligent as our bc's were. However, labs are very physical and very tough and generally less sensitive to humans than bc's- at least that is my observation.

No kidding--I guess they don't call them ankle biters for nothin' :rolleyes:

JRTs, not surprisingly, ranked low on the fear scale.

Our neighbor has two JRTs that are outdoors a lot. They have an electric fence around the front of their property. The dogs bark like crazy at everyone, everything, every car, every dog. When we walk by, I walk Cody in the middle of the street away from the sidewalk, and the two dogs still go nuts. Cody for the most part walks by and ignores them (he does that well, with smaller dogs though) but today he couldn't stand their ferocious and annoying demeanors and lunged out toward them. Those two dogs are SO annoying! I would HATE to be their next door neighbor with all that nonstop barking.

But another neighbor and friend has a wonderful JRT that is absolutely a delight. Tucker is loving and affectionate with people, and loves all dogs too. He and Cody are great friends. When we walk by his house, Cody is always looking to see if Tucker is outside.

I do have to say that labs are one breed that you couldn't pay me enough to own. They are 70-80 lbs of enthuasiam that can care less what their owner or me have to say. I like my dogs to notice me and want to please me. The vast majority (notice that I didn't say 'all') of labs that I know think life is a contact sport, no matter who or what is in the way and live to jump on everyone, human and canine alike. My dogs hate labs because they don't give a hoot for other dog's personal space, just rush in and start jumping on my dogs' heads.

I've know several field trial dogs and they might be a smidge better but still energy out the wazoo and no body sense. My knee caps cringe when they see a lab coming.

As far as aggresssion...I haven't met many aggressive labs but the worst dog that we had at the vet's office I worked at was a lab. He was the scariest dog I've seen, but we were pretty sure that he had something wired wrong in his head. Most seem sweet enough, just dim and crazy.

I can't imagine using a lab as a guide dog having known so many, too nutty.

Olivia

I can't imagine using a lab as a guide dog having known so many, too nutty.
I actually see quite a few around here. I'd have to say that they're the single most common guide dogs I've seen, though GSDs are nearly as common around here, and I've even seen a standard poodle and a great dane (who was doubling as a stability dog, too).

Dogs are not the ones to worry about. Puppies are!

(Or stupid parents ... depending on your view.)

:rolleyes: What a tragedy... just goes to show you what can happen in a matter of seconds. The whole famly appears to be a little less than responsible anyway (17-year old mother??).

As far as aggresssion...I haven't met many aggressive labs but the worst dog that we had at the vet's office I worked at was a lab. He was the scariest dog I've seen, but we were pretty sure that he had something wired wrong in his head. Most seem sweet enough, just dim and crazy.

My newest lab aquaintance (about 10 months old or so) recently showed a SERIOUS bout of aggression... my friend was subleasing her home to another friend over the summer, and when Jen entered her house one weekend and no one was there, she was dang lucky that Kobi was caged up... she said his hackles were clear up, lips curled up as high as possible, barking, growling, snarling, put on quite a display, even hit the front of his crate 3 times in about 10 minutes showing a horrendous display of aggression. She was pretty positive that if he weren't in a crate, he would have attacked her. We don't know what on earth happened to this dog... he's normally very quiet, very docile, and very friendly. She's entered the house in this same manner before and he's been just fine... possibility of abuse maybe????

Top 3: Dachshund, Chihuahua, JRT.

Just met up with a Dachshund this afternoon. Jumped into my lap and started kissing my face! The owner said he's usually very wary of strangers. Maybe he was just setting me up for the kill! LOL! I'm not a lover of the little ankle biter dogs either. My brother rescued a mix of a lot of little dogs and she is an absolute terror! Can't get near her without her curling her lip and trying to bite. Did bite their Aussie in the neck, resulting in a very bad infection. I chastised my brother, who's always had large breed dogs, and very well behaved. Told him he'd never put up with that behavior from one of his German Shepherds. A dog bite is a dog bite. Some day she's going to bite the wrong person. If it had been me, I'd have taken her back to the shelter when she bit the Aussie. Two weeks before she bit the Aussie, they had been here with her. Lets just say it wouldn't have been pretty if she'd bitten Scooter on the neck! And I love my brother dearly! :rolleyes:

Many whippet and greyhound owners would laugh at this study. Both breeds are well-known as fighters within their own pack structures. Maybe that doesn't count as dog-aggressive? It sure is scary to have two bitches trying to kill each other day after day. I had the problem with several sets of whippets over 25 years. These were well-trained housedogs, with obedience titles, and very competitive racers and lure-coursers. I was the alpha of the pack. Made no difference. They are usually good with dogs outside their own family units. Greyhounds are the same. Very terrier-like in fact.

Something is suspicious about this study. Maybe they just talked to pet people who don't have a clue. I always trust chows and mutts the least myself.

Now we have ABC-registered, working Border collies and things are calmer. Two litter brothers (one intact, one neutered) do a lot of posturing but little actual fighting. Their mother is the queen. The spayed LGDs co-exist but no fighting with them - yet. That's just a matter of time from what I hear.

Guest SweetJordan

Well I have my favorites of course, but really I love all dogs. Though not saying that I want to take them all home with me. What it really comes down to is there are no bad dogs, just bad owners. I do feel that gentics play a role though. And in the case of my mom's rescue doxie she had to go through quite a bit of rehab. She was stuck in a shelter for a long time as the shelter spent a lot of time trying to find her owner as she was found w/ a current license. The story is longer and a bit odd, but that's the short version.

I know someone w/ a JRT. I think they watched too much Frazer. They got the dog as a puppy from a BYB. Didn't bother to train or socialize the dog, he's not fixed(at least the last I knew) and he gets a maxium of 5 min. of exercise a day. So of course he is completely crazy. And it's owner is a doctor. So you would think an intelligent person would know better.

I guess I'll have to bring Boomer over to met all of you. No, he doesn't greet people by jumping on them. And he's had friends of all different breeds, as he knows how to play very nice. And in fact he stands back a few feet to see if the other dog wants to play first, and to see if it's okay to approach. With his tail wagging as fast as can be. Though I did spend a lot of time socializing him and he's been to all kinds of classes and places with me. And he's not a moster lab. He's 61 pounds of muscle. And if labs are provided enough exercise they should aim to please. Except for that one lab that came after mine I've never met an aggressive one. With that being said I know that they are out there, they don't have the lab temperment. But again over breeding and popularity aren't good for a breed when they become a dime a dozen. He's also the most loyal thing I've ever known. When I was sick last summer he layed on my bed with me for days(though I did have someone exercise him he wasn't too happy that I couldn't join in). He follows me everywhere including the bathroom. When I leave him he's not real happy about it, but he behaves doesn't act crazy and waits for me to return. When we have a party he's very cordial and greets everyone at the door, but then returns to my side. I get enough compliments about him that I started putting reward on the new id tags so he wouldn't be stolen, of course that will also be placed on Rye's new tags.

I've heard that BCs are very loyal. Though I don't know too much about that because Riley took to my mom and her dog even though tech. I adopted her. So go figure. For some reason all the female dogs flock to my mom. But we still have a lot of fun together.

Temperment based on genetics is important but I think environment (training) may be more important in the majority of cases involving otherwise "normal" dogs.

Too many people get the wrong breed or type of dog just because that's what they want and not a situation that's best for them or the dog. And that's where a lot of the problems originate.

Guest SweetJordan
Temperment based on genetics is important but I think environment (training) may be more important in the majority of cases involving otherwise "normal" dogs.

Too many people get the wrong breed or type of dog just because that's what they want and not a situation that's best for them or the dog. And that's where a lot of the problems originate.

Yeah I agree that's where bad people/owners come in. And in my opinion a lot of people have no business having a puppy. Esp. if they aren't going to take the time to socialize, socialize, socialize and train their puppy properly, and if they don't really have the time for a puppy.

And getting the wrong breed/type of dog well some people you can't tell anything to.

Doesnt matter what breed it is, how it was raised, bred, if its got teeth, it can bite. For whatever reasons. Standing in front of a grooming table for 25 yrs has given me great insight into this for "all breeds".

• 2 weeks later...
I'm surprised Labs are rated so low. I can't tell you how many I've seen that are very nasty towards other dogs. Not all of them of course, but enough that they're a breed I avoid out in public (though in fairness, I try to keep interactions with all strange dogs to a miniumum). I figured the aggressive labs around me were fall-out from being the most popular breed.

Most of the labs (northern NJ) around here are very dog aggressive. I don't know if it's a certain local line or what, but they're the only breed I'm wary of at the dog park. Meanwhile, all the pits at the park are perfectly well-behaved.

• 3 months later...

One thing to bear in mind about Dachshunds. They're not technically terriers but their purpose is essentially the same, go after citters in the ground where you've got to be fearless and make your own decisions. The Master can't bail out you on this one. So I'm not at all surprised that Dachs have terrier temperaments. I've known some very lovely Dachs but they all have attitude.

Ankle biters? As someone once pointed out, "People laugh at the idea that a little dog can be frighteningly aggressive. But they'd be screaming their heads off if a similar sized rat were running around the living room snapping at their ankles." I think a lot of little dogs get away with bloody murder because their owners don't take them as seriously as they would a big dog exhibiting the same behavior.

Labs? I always tell people I've never met a Lab I couldn't learn to hate. Which surprises people because "Labs are so friendly." Yes, they are. They are also large, muscular, and very physical. It is not necessary for a dog to express his love for me by launching himself at my person like a rocket propelled cannonball. If I wasn't black and blue when I entered the owner's house, I don't wish to be black and blue when I leave. Nor do I wish to end up in the hospital with a concussion from being knocked clear into next Tuesday. Now I'm sure that somewhere out there, there are Lab owners who have actually taught their dogs to exhibit some degree of polite behavior. I have just never met these owners and their dogs.

Now I'm sure that somewhere out there, there are Lab owners who have actually taught their dogs to exhibit some degree of polite behavior. I have just never met these owners and their dogs.

Hi,

I know there is at least one out there....My daughter has a lovely yellow lab that she was raising for Guide Dogs. They dropped the dog from the program and my daughter kept her. She is calm and polite and just wonderful with my daughters very small children. She's the stereotypical nice calm lab. A real pleasure to have around=)

Janet

I think "aggressive" is a far too often misused term. What constitutes aggression? Doxies are "badger dogs". I'd say to hunt badgers you'd need a lot of attitude, toughness, moxie, whatever, but aggressive? I don't think so, or at least they shouldn't be toward anything but their prey. Bad breeding?

Fila's I believe have the phrase "loathing of strangers" written into their standard. Perhaps they'd be a stranger's worst nightmare, but with family they are fine. How do we apply the term "aggression" here.

I have a caucasian mt. dog. This breed is known to be dog aggressive and wary and not trusting of strangers. With family, they are fine. I'm sure if I let Juta, my CO loose and a loose dog came on the property, she'd dispatch it --- quickly. And unless she knows you, you don't want her around. A person she didn't like, I'm sure would call her aggressive, but the 5 people or so she likes, she is loving and loyal. And she's had a lifetime of rescues coming through our house, so she's used to strange dogs, but only if I bring them in.

I had a lovely GSD a few years ago. He'd had a lousy start in life, but a lot of his issues, we'd worked through. I enrolled with him in an obedience class. When the instructer tried to put a Halti on him, he stood on his back legs to try to paw it off. The webbing on his front paw got caught in the clip on the lead and he freaked and in his frantic efforts of get rid of the Halti and pain in his paw, he was growling at the instructor. She labeled him aggressive.

Since then, I've taken the word "aggression" with a grain of salt. Since that incident with Maj, my GSD, I need to know more behind that word. For that one incident, Maj was labeled an aggressive dog.

And that word is bantied about a lot in BSL -- too often by people who don't know their butt from a hole in the ground.

BTW, I haven't read the study that started that discussion. Gonna do that now.

• 2 weeks later...

My folks have the Bionic dachsie (has had pretty well all his back fused in three separate spine surgeries). He regularly threatens to kick the a-- of anyone he does not take a shine to. Faces off whatever wildlife can be found---even at almost 12 yrs old and orthopedically impaired. He is gated off whenever we visit with the kids at this point. I would chalk it up to age, pain and infirmity, but he has always been a little snot. :rolleyes:

Watched a scene at the park back in Sept/Oct, in which a JRT (on leash, thank goodness), tried his darndest to challenge, then reach, and rip apart an enormous Rottie. If it had not been so sad (all the humans involved with both dogs were clueless, and seemed to be saying---not speaking English, so I am not sure, but by gesture, facial expression, etc.) something to the tune of "Oh, look at the little guy, trying to scare the big one...isn't that cute!", it would have been funny because of the obvious size difference. The exchange was let to continue as the two parties stood in the parking lot for on the order of 10 mins, until the Rottie finally had enough and let out some big snaps. The Rottie was a big, heavy, thick-necked one---looked like "Good Dog Carl" from the children's books, and was as patient.