BC Boards

BC or Aussie?

I adopted Bu this week from the local shelter. He's already been to the vet to start his shots/get micro chipped and have a general checkup. Other than needing to gain some weight he's in good health. There is some confusion as to weather he is a BC or an Aussie (not that it matters he stole our hearts).

004-1.jpg

005.jpg

So far he's very loving and friendly. Although very timid. Any time he sees more than 1 person approaching he hides behind my legs. He spends most of the time hiding under my desk at my feet. We have gotten him to play a little but then he stops looks at me as if to say is this ok and then go back under the desk.

Advise on how to help him come out of his shell? And what do you think bc or aussie or little of both?

Sockpuppet

Does he have a tail, or is it hiding funny in the pictures? How is his bone structure, thick or light? I guess the Aussies I've known have tended to be thicker boned than most BCs I've known... his nose (from the first picture) sure looks Border Collie to me...

Ive had a PB collie with no tail. (Breeder had a problem with any animal on his farm having tails) But I would surmise that whoever did crop that pups tail did it because they thought he is either an Aussie, or Aussie cross. The heavier bone and broader top skull says that much to me, but then Barbie collies are pretty heavy boned as well, so hard to say which side of the tracks he came from, but he sure is a handsome fella. Id say give him some time, and see what traits you can discern as BC or Aussie. Either way, he looks to be a sweet heart, and Im sure he'll be a lot of fun.

I agree with Laura--my first thought was aussie. I'd also buy the aussie x border collie. Heck, he could even be all border collie (since conformation-bred border collies look a lot like aussies to a lot of folks, including me) and just have had his tail docked for some reason (it's more prevalent in some parts of the country). He's cute, whatever he really is!

J.

He's beautiful-whatever he is. My gal I adopted, I always have thought she had some Aussie in her. She's a little thicker in build.

11108006.jpg

and she's not as quirky as my other BC's. Yet, my old male was papered and had quite a thick build so who knows? Plus, he still has "puppy feet" that he will grow into. It's difficult to say with all the "barbie's" out there. The breed used to be so easy to determine. Either way, you have yourself one good looking dog and also Welcome to the boards!!!!

Dianne

Welcome! Kudos to you for adopting a shelter pup who just needed a good home and someone to love him and help him grow to be a good dog.

That face says "Aussie" to me but, as pointed out by Julie and others, it can be impossible to tell with some dogs. The way they work or move may be a clearer indication.

Whatever, what a cute little pup! I love that happy face in the second photo. He's realizing that he's gone from a sad place in the shelter (and who knows where before that) to a glad place with you.

He sounds a bit shy and worried about doing wrong so take it easy, let him set his own pace, encourage but don't push, and I'll bet you see him come out of his shell sometime soon. It is great that he is seeing you as a safe haven already.

Be his advocate (don't let folks come up on him in a hurry, bending over and trying to touch him, and making all sorts of scary, enthusiastic sounds) but let him make the moves to befriend someone who is non-threatening by having them ignore him until he's comfy with their presence.

Best wishes!

What a darling young dog! Good for you for giving him a good home and a chance to have a good life. Whether he's all BC, all Aussie, or something in between or sideways, he's very handsome. And this is still a great place to get good, solid advice. For example...

Be his advocate (don't let folks come up on him in a hurry, bending over and trying to touch him, and making all sorts of scary, enthusiastic sounds) but let him make the moves to befriend someone who is non-threatening by having them ignore him until he's comfy with their presence.

Very, very good advice from Sue R, as usual. We have a cautious dog, and it works so much better to have her follow behind us when we are nearing new people, and to let her lie down behind us, be ignored, and just chill while the people are chatting. At her own pace, she will warm up. And that's good enough! It isn't constructive to expect every dog to be Mr. Friendly with every strange person. Expecting quiet, polite behavior is sufficient and allows the dog to feel comfortable rather than threatened.

I have a large BC. He has a wide head and nose and very heavy bone build. He is also bearded with a very heavy and long main. He is also very mild mannered but obviously works like a BC. Many people tell me that he does not look like a border collie. He is however a purebred BC. I know the breeder, I know his parents and most of his family. It is common to see his body type on ranches in southern Alberta. He goes back many generations and I am told that he is something of a throw-back to old Scottish working stock. I have made a real effort to find out what that means but have not been very successful. I am told that many of the old Scottish breeders preferred heavy dogs, I am not sure that is true. If I had to guess your dog is more BC to me than Aussie, Dianne, I would say the same of your dog. It is odd but your dog has similar markings to mine. Can you trace him back. Anyway, I would take him along slowly and let him get his new world figured out. Thanks for the rescue, you have a beautiful dog.

Looks like maybe some conformation bred BC in there to me. Hard to say--if we saw this dog move, that would be a big clue,

A