BC Boards

May's first trial (17 months old)

I was very proud of her. She ended up tied for second out of 21 dogs. Moss did great too. Thanks to Robin for getting this nice quality video in really windy conditions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_k42Iqo_n4

Be sure to select the new high quality option below the video if it's offered.

I'll do a May training update later in the month.

Wow. That was SOME drive. HOW old is she? Looks like she through you for a loop when it came time for the pen (as in it was so easy- the course, for her, it happened fast!!) It looked all very easy for her.

I was very proud of her. She ended up tied for second out of 21 dogs. Moss did great too. Thanks to Robin for getting this nice quality video in really windy conditions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_k42Iqo_n4

Be sure to select the new high quality option below the video if it's offered.

I'll do a May training update later in the month.

May was so awesome, and had one VERY HAPPY handler on friday. :rolleyes:

Here's the video of Moss' trial debut too --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPod3j9WZqI

It was actually his worst run of the weekend, as he got tons better each time he ran - 2 PN and 2 Nursery runs. I wish we had video of the Nursery runs - full Open course minus the shed. He was really good and handled the course really well. There's a trial writeup and description of the runs in my blog.

Thanks to all. Mossy was really such a very good boy. He did well in the Nursery too, which was much harder than the PN course in the video. I was proud of them both.

KP Julie, I didn't feel thrown for a loop at the pen. There wasn't much of a better option to do it right. We had to bring the sheep counterclockwise around the post at the end of the drive before starting to the pen. Most (all?) opted to stay at the post to help control this. These were big running Suffolks that could be difficult to pen. They didn't just stand around and wait for you to open the gate. There just wasn't room or time to mess around.

There were actually two PN classes that day but we only videoed the first one because of the bad weather. On her second run, May ran nearly exactly the same except the sheep went on the wrong side of the post at the end of the drive. She still had a decent score but was just out of the placings. Moss had a much better second go, making all of the obstacles and placed 6th.

Your dog handled your commands wonderfully- I only have one question- I don't want to sound snippy or anything, but from the video, were you required a cross-drive? Oh, BTW- you voice!!! I love the calmness in your voice, which probably contributes to the success of your dogs. I've been trying to master that for 20 years. From squeaky to growler I think I have almost got it. I know people I have worked with differed in approach. I'm trying to get a firm but non harsh lie down- maybe you could record your voice. It really is great!!!

Dianne

In the eastern US, Pro-Novice is usually a single drive leg -- no cross-drive. Between Pro-Novice and Open we have a class called Open Ranch (or Ranch, for short), which is usually the Open course without a shed -- much like USBCHA Nursery, and like Pro-Novice is in some regions. I'm sure the gates you see to the right in the video that were not used were just sitting there waiting for a later class.

Eileen - those gates were the fetch gates for Ranch, Nursery and Open. The drive gates were way the heck off to the right - it was a huge drive. Someone told me it was a 250 yard crossdrive.

Whoa -- 250 yards! And Moss got around in Nursery?! Pretty darn good for 17 months!!

Wow, sign me up for the "impressed" club as well. Of course, Moss has such a nice level head on him. Both these young dogs are just coming along so well - it's fun to have the records of their progress for those of us who *sniff* are rather homebound lately.

I used the HQ option by the way - it worked fine and let me watch it fullscreen in much better quality than normal youtube fullscreen (usually a waste of bandwidth). How do you offer that option?

Youtube just started offering it. I got a new camera that's HD and just upload videos like usual (I use the multifile uploader and let youtube do the compression rather than trying to stay under 100mb myself. What's impressed me is that they apparently stored older videos in the original formats because the HQ option is available on some of them too, even though they're just digital and not from the new HD camera.

Thanks on Moss - i'm having a lot of fun with him. He was a good boy at the Bluegrass too - came in 6th in PN out of nearly 50 dogs the first day. Not bad for his second trial. :rolleyes:

I'll have to fiddle with that some and see what I can get.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone week after next! I'm coming Sunday and staying over Monday.