BC Boards

Problems with food

Hi Everybody,

I'm having a problem getting Cadi on to the higher quality dog food. I had her on Purina One up until a few months ago when I found it it's not the healthiest. Since then we've tried, Canidae, and now California Natural. We've tried chicken and lamb. Her stools are just way too loose. They were fine with the "junk food". I don't know why that is. I'm not sure what to do and I don't want to go back to Purina if I don't have to. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for your input.

Georgia

ProPlan Selects Salmon might work since it's in the Purina family, but imo is a higher level food. Perhaps the jump is too big, in which case you might have luck going up to a mid level food like Nutro Natural Choice and then to the premium foods.

How long did you try each new food for? With my girls it can take up to 10 days for things to normalize, but I also switch cold turkey vs. a slow switch. The slow switch actually resulted in odd stools for much longer than the fast switch ever does.

I'm not sure how much help this is, but we had our dogs on several foods before finding one that worked the best. Certain dogs just don't do well on certain diets... You have to do what is best for your dog.

We had a lot of luck with our sensitive stomach/runny stool dog on California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato. He does so much better. Right now we have 3 dogs on that, one on Wellness and one on EVO red meat small bites or whatever it's called. Of course they won't be on the same food. :rolleyes: Our feed store gives out sample bags so you can try out foods and not spend an arm and a leg. I don't know if that's common, though.

Also remember it'll take time to adjust. How are you switching and how long has it been?

I switched Alex from Purina One to Nutro Ultra, which from my research is a good food. I add a teaspoon of Nutro Ultra can or Evo can. She's been fine with it. I have been looking at Taste of the Wild, but I'm not sure.

Some foods claim they have grains and veggies that your dog needs and others claim they have none and that's the best for your dog. I was going with the first approach because as far as I know the only true carnivore on this planet is the feline. Alex is healthy and happy on the Nutro and that's really all that matters.

I would give "Chicken Soup for the dog lovers soul" dog food a try. It has worked great for Black Jack. It even makes his poop just a tad hard, but not enough to make a difference. But it may be enough to help Cadi. It's worth a shot.

Both Annie and Missy are on a prescription dry food, so what I will offer is second-hand. For what it's worth, our vet specifically recommends Innova, Merrick, and Royal Canin where commercial foods are involved. The store at the school where Annie goes for agility training carries only Chicken Soup, Innova EVO, and Merrick. There are a number of other high-grade dog foods as well; you might want to check out the Merck ratings as one input.

Aftethought: Annie is on prescription Royal Canin Intestinal HE due to a sensitive stomach and loose bowels with commercial food. (Missy also eats it, but Missy can eat anything, and a common food for both is easier to manage.) Perhaps you might ask your vet about it.

I have had many problems with food myself. I had Blaze on 2 different kinds of Nutro, (they are not all created equal). I really like the vension and so did his stomach but they are being extra cautious since the food scares and had a supplier shortage problem for a few weeks and that is when I switched him to Canidae. We are on the chicken formula and although it was a rough first couple of weeks, things are fine now.

Just be sure that whatever you switch him to that you are looking for easy digestible or sensitive stomach, it sounds like that is what you guys need.

I agree that you need to keep trying until you find the food that is right for your dog. I used to feed Premium Edge and then I switched to Barking at the Moon. Although that is a good food, I was not really happy with the condition of my dogs on it. Their coats were dull and they were shedding a lot. I then try RAW for about a year and they had problems with that. I then switched to Canidae and I couldn't keep any weight on either one of them with that. They now are eating Taste of the Wild and I am very happy with it. My dogs do seem to do better on kibble with no grain.

My dogs do seem to do better on kibble with no grain.

Do you mind if I ask why you say this? The reason is that Blaze has developed an itching problem and I am not sure what it could be from, this was the first thing that I thought about when it started.

I think a lot of Border Collies hark back to the times when they got pretty much whatever to eat - boiled grains, bread scraps, leftover bones, fish scraps, and maybe a bite of the shepherd's bread and cheese lunch. I believe it's not really a sensitive stomach problem, but a need for more fiber. You can test this by keeping your dog on their current food, but adding in crumbled Metamucil crackers, or pureed veggies.

Although I think it's nice to try an ideal diet with my dogs, I don't really panic when they seem to need a little more "trashier" food. Cord has to have corn to do well, period. Ted needs a lot of grain though his system doesn't seem to care what kind. Ben, on the other hand, I'm feeding almost all meats. And Gus does just fine on a grain free kibble - Wellness Core Ocean.

I've noticed many seem to have good luck with the Diamond Naturals line of products, as well as Kirkland and Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, which are both also made by Diamond. Mine used to do great on the Solid Gold products as well, but they've changed their ingredient lineup and I'm leery of paying that kind of money for what looks like a somewhat lower quality product - when the Naturals line does very well for us. Just last night I also saw that Pro Pac has a new Holistic line that is similar to the Chicken Soup product.

Finally, if your dog doesn't need a lot of kcals, Canidae Platinum is a favorite of mine to sooth the gi and provide plenty of fiber. It's super easy to digest so unless your dog is intolerant of chicken or some other ingredient in it, it covers all the bases.

Good luck!

but they are being extra cautious since the food scares and had a supplier shortage problem for a few weeks

They are not having suupplier shortages, they are having bagger problems. The company that supplies their bags was having issues. It should be back to normal pretty quickly.

That being said, I use diamond naturals chicken and rice. No corn. I've tried other brands and flavors (lamb, beef, and even Canidae) but usually one has issues with something or another so I found chicken and rice does good for all of them. But I'm noticing annal gland issues lately. We've been feeding this food at least all winter with no problems till now. Mick always has butt issues, so I don't think twice about him but I had an older dog develop some issues. Now another older dog. So I'm thinking that they need more fiber, harder or bigger stools would help clean out the glands. I've talked with the vet and his thoughts are it's not food related but I'm thinking it is. So I was racking my brain on how to add more fiber...then I read Becca's post and BAM hit me like a 2x4...I'm going to add some fiber in the form of met. crackers or maybe some pumpkin? Either way, I'm gonig to try to stick with this food. They seem to be doing wonderful other than the anal gland issues. and maybe the vets right, it's not connected but can't hurt to try adding some fiber.

I was thinking about what Becca said about needing to add a trashier food. it's fiiller, makes bigger poo, would help explain my theory. So I'm going to try it.

Kristen

Duckx2.jpg

There are a lot of different variaties within this company (Eagle Pack) to meet your dogs needs. Top of the line foods for less than many in cost but equal or greater in quality.

I had Koda on the corn based food at first. He was having a lot of dandruff and my friend who is an expert on dog nutrition said to switch to a rice or oat based food. I switched within Eagle Packs lines and he was cured in under a week. Sometimes its all about the right ingredients. Looks like Koda is allergic to corn.

They are not having suupplier shortages, they are having bagger problems. The company that supplies their bags was having issues. It should be back to normal pretty quickly.

Well isn't that something. Oh well, they lost a customer over it.. but hopefully (for Blaze) for the better. :rolleyes:

I believe it's not really a sensitive stomach problem, but a need for more fiber. You can test this by keeping your dog on their current food, but adding in crumbled Metamucil crackers, or pureed veggies.

I agree, fiber can make a huge difference. We've discovered that Finn needs more fiber than EVO supplies, so I've started using fiber capsules (metamucil or other brand) and breaking one open over his morning meal. It's tasteless and odorless so he doesn't know it's there, especially since I put a bit of warm water on the kibble. Works like a charm and I think is a bit cheaper than the Metamucil crackers.

Pumpkin works great, too. As long as the dog likes it (Finn doesn't) and will eat it.

I've found my dogs all do really well on Nutro Natural Choice (large breed chicken rice formula) and I've been feeding it for years now. I know Nutro is not a food many people on here recommend but I can't imagine any other food doing more for them that what this is. They have the most gorgeous shiny coats, lots of energy and vitality, good firm stools...what more needs to be said? I'm not looking to fix what's not broke.

A couple of times I've mixed other types of food with it when we've received bags of donated food at the races and I've found that anything with lamb seems to give them gas.

Within the first 2.5 years of Daisy's life, we switched food 6 times. Always with a slow switch over and she only needed a day or two to adjust, which is strange since if i give her too much people food, she chucks it the next day. Some dogs take longer to adjust to different things, so a couple of weeks may not be long enough to try it. Try asking the people at the food store what better quality food is good for dogs with tummy troubles. They should have a couple of good suggestions that you would have never thought of. Usually the small mom and pop type pet stores know their product inside and out, and what has more or less of an ingredient that may cause upsets. Also, they usually have sample packs comming out the you know what! The rescue I volunteer for gets tons and tons of sample packs once they've expired, so by the looks of things, not too many people ask for them!!

I notice that the main difference between purina one (besides the by-product) and the premium foods is the addition of corn. I wonder if Cadi (like Cord) needs the corn.

In humans, you add more fiber to a diet when you're constipated. Is that how you knew your dogs needed more fiber?

The folks at the pet store had recommended the California Natural because of it's simplicity, that it might be easier on the stomach. Haven't seen that yet.

I probably should get my vet's input.

Thanks guys!

The folks at the pet store had recommended the California Natural because of it's simplicity, that it might be easier on the stomach. Haven't seen that yet.

Normally anywhere that sells Canidae will have it. Most stores (from what I have seen) will carry all the top premiums together and nothing else.

My dogs do great on Purina One. Is it the most expensive dog food out there? No. Did my dogs do any better on higher cost dog foods? No. My guys do fine on it and I don't worry about it. They've also been on Eagle Pack and Nutro and several other things. I also tried to feed raw and that didn't work so well for us. If your dog does well on it, I would stick with the Purina One. If she doesn't, you might try the Purina Pro Plan which is supposed to be a higher quality (I think) and is available at pet stores but not in the grocery.

Lisa

Royal Canin also makes a non prescription food for sensitive stomachs. It is called royal canin special medium dog. They have a website. I am actually switching my dog with his sensitive stomach and tendency for loose stools over to canidae from royal canin special. He did really well with royal canin special. However, I feel the canidae is a little higher grade. He has done well with royal canin special mixed with half canidae platinum(canidae senior/diet food). So I am about to mix in the lamb and rice version. My other dog is on the canidae platinum and doing well. But she does not have stomach issues. I also give them two tablespoons of Dannon all natural nonfat yogurt each day to ensure good probiotics and stomach health.

Mel, Bonnie, and the Baxter

Okay - after reading through the post again I may need to continue the canidae platinum and give away the canidae lamb/rice that I bought today. Just to keep the right amount of fiber in Baxter's diet. I will just have to make sure he doesn't loose weight on it. He would rather play than eat and can be a bit picky at times. Feeding should not be this difficult. I hope you find something that works soon. I know it can be frustrating searching and trying new foods. I had some loose stool disasters when Baxter was a pup and I was trying to find something he would tolerate. Not only did we go through several different foods, but multiple vet visits because he had to go on antibiotics the day after I brought him home for kennel cough or some other respiratory infection. Hence the beginning of the diarrhea, multiple meds, stool tests, and food sampling. Baxter still sniffs his food to make sure I haven't hidden any of that nasty tasting flagyl in there.

Mel, Bonnie, and the Baxter.

No I do not personally believe that Sentinal would have any cause in this. Blaze is on it as well and I have never placed that as a reason for when he has tummy issues. But the Rawhides, that is a different story. I would really try to find something better for him to chew on.

Just an update for anyone else out there struggling with this.

Well I just found something out. I was trying to switch Cadi to the California Natural just as a stomach virus was hitting her. I only know this because Jedi came down with it. She is now clear of the virus and the California Natural Lamb and Rice is working for her! :D I am going to try their chicken product next just to see if she has any problems with chicken.

I never thought I'd ever get so excited about dog food...really... :rolleyes: