BC Boards

lymphoma

kelpiegirl

Today, while checking my Boxer's right ear, my hand was on his neck (rt side) and I felt a large (bigger than tennis ball) swollen gland, that was not there a few days ago. Well, I broke down. He is 11 years old, a Boxer, and this came up very fast. Usually when my dogs get even a hang nail I zip off to the vet, but I can't. I just can't hear that word, nope. Anyway, I need words of wisdom now, because I am utterly stuck.

It could just be some infection but as you said it could be lymphoma.

If it is lymphoma and if caught early enough depending on the kind of lymphoma chemo is a good treatment and many dogs don't have major side effects. Chemo is not cheap though. I know of a couple dogs that are in remission and it has been 2 years or so

Sorry to say, a trip to the vet is needed asap.

I do hope it is just an infection though.

Oh Julie, that is scary. But, you know what, even if it is lymphoma, some cases are treatable. A friend got a year or more of good quality life with a BC girl with lymphoma - the dog had chemo which she tolerated extremely well. From what I know of you from the Boards, you'll find the courage and strength to take that boy to the vet, and find out what is wrong, and what can be done. I'm just thinking about a friend's lab, who had a swelling in his neck which was caused by some sort of problem with a salivary gland - fixed by a surgery.

If only we didn't love our dogs so much ...... Wishing you and the Boxer boy all the best.

All I can say is: I know you're afraid for your poor guy, and of course you don't want any bad news....but by delaying taking him to the vet, you may be decreasing his chances for the best possible outcome. Most importantly, by taking him, you may find out GOOD news that you weren't expecting (i.e., that it's nothing), and then you'll have saved yourself all that worry, and you won't have to spend any more time agonizing over the unknown. It's hard to deal with watching our beloved pets fall ill, but we're all they've got, so it's up to you to try and be as strong as possible for your boy!! I'm sure your worry is worrying him, too. Whatever it turns out to be, it looks to be a very good thing that you have caught it so quickly (if the lump wasn't there a few days ago). I really hope that it works out well for you!!

Hopefully it is not lymphoma, but some types are highly treatable if caught early. I know of a BC that is a top agility dog and she is in remission now. She competed all the way through her treatment and did well.

Good luck for your Boxer and hoping it is an infection

I got my stuff together and brought him in. They did a fna (fine needle aspirate) and have sent it off to pathology. There were no other enlarged glands, so that is good. Boxers are cancer factories, and he is 11 years old. It's just hard, because he is a great dog. I delivered his litter. He's been with me since he was 7 weeks.

I hope it's nothing!

Just as an aside... my sister's Eskie developed a big lump on her neck suddenly a couple years ago. My BIL palpated it, and it popped and drained. (Bleah.) They put in a drainage tube and it healed fine after a few days in a lampshade. (Some kind of infection from a piece of a stick stuck in the dog's throat, we think!)

Good luck and good vibes!

Mary

Update:

Didn't hear back from the vet, so I called. Results came back as atypical lymphoid hyperplasia, which, is basically EQ, or equivocal, meaning it doesn't tell us of this is either a lymph gland malfunction, or lymphoma. So, vet told me he sent the sample/first results on to another pathologist. So, still waiting....

Interesting. I am dealing with a similar issue with one of my old Siamese. The node is so swollen it's interfering with his ability to eat. The needle aspiration showed only lymph tissue and saliva cells. We sedated him and got a punch biopsy and the path results came back "idiopathic hyperplasia," which I was told still meant not cancer, but lymph swelling of unknown origin. Furthermore the path report went on to state that this is sometimes seen in cats of his age (14) and that it should resolve on its own (it hasn't, not even after two rounds of antibiotics). We go back to the vet tomorrow, and I think it's coming to a time when I will have to make that decision we all dread making. I'm not getting any good answers and he's pretty much starving to death before my eyes. :rolleyes: I hope you get a better/more definitive answer than I did.

J.

Can they remove the node? I know this is done even in some lymphoma cases. Depending on how she is doing otherwise, this may be an option. Thankfully Tucker's node while still enlarged seems to have gone down a bit. I am cautiously optimistic. I feel for you for your kitty- I have an old girl, and I would move heaven and earth to keep her happy and healthy.

Julie,

The node did seem to reduce in size while Si was on antibiotics, but sometimes I thought that perhaps my perception was based more on what I wished than on reality--hard to tell. A lymph node could be removed, but according to two different vets I consulted, it's tricky surgery (given the major blood vessels right there) and he's not necessarily a good candidate for surgery, given his age and the fact that he as a pretty severe heart murmur (not to mention his being quite underweight). I plan to ask tomorrow if we should try one more round of antibiotics (the strongest we can use) or what other alternatives we might have. It's heartbreaking to have him begging for food but pretty much unable to eat anything that's not been made into a very watery gruel (and then it takes him forever to eat even a small amount) because the node is impinging on his ability to swallow (as well as a nerve that controls his eye on that side).

J.

Maybe a light at the end of the tunnel??? Well, I left a message for the owner of the practice to call me- I trust him implicitly- he is a VERY good vet; knowledgeable, and doesn't speak to me like I know nothing. I appreciate that. Anyway, he called me last night, and we talked a long time. He said that it is not definite that Tucker has Lymphoma- that the pathology said to do a biopsy to rule out lymphoma. That it may be, but a biopsy would tell us where we stand, for sure. He laughed when I asked if he had done these before (biopsies), then I did. :rolleyes:

I was also given the skinny on what it would cost for chemotherapy. There is a new group called onco-care. This group will take all the slides, and samples and decide the best plan of attack, and send just what the dog should get for that particular treatment, to your own vet, so instead of the vet having to buy a 300 cc bottle, he can get just the 1 cc or so that your dog may need. It saves money all around. But, it is still very pricey at about $5000.00 for this group. Even worse though, are the places that specialize in oncology, just south of me- they will be about $12000. These numbers just are, well, so extremely high. I always knew it would be expensive but never along these lines.