BC Boards

lymphoma

kelpiegirl

Julie,

I have a friend whose dog is undergoing treatment for lymphoma right now at NC State. One of the things they told him was that they could send the meds to his regular vet to do the treatments, but that if the regular vet weren't well-versed in chemotherapy, complications are a possibility (they didn't say it quite like that, but the gist was that they were willing to have him take the dog elsewhere as long as the local vet was comfortable doing the treatments). I don't remember the exact figures he gave me, but I believe the treatment is costing him thousands, not to mention the time off work and travel to get his dog to the vet school once a week for 11 weeks. Before they even started treatment, they had to do additional testing, including taking a sample of the bone marrow.

The up side is that apparently the cancer is pretty treatable, so if you are spending tons of money, at least that money is buying you more than just a couple of months. But if you haven't had that discussion with your vet, you should (i.e., once you have definitive biopsy results, a discussion on what your dog will gain by treatment in terms of lifespan and quality of life during that time is in order). I personally wouldn't bankrupt myself if my dog was going to gain just a very short time (and of course quality of life issues would be in play too).

J.