BC Boards

A great new "dog toy"

Our trainer suggested this and it works wonders. If only I could keep up so he doesn't catch it!

You get a Longe horse whip (like this one from Petsmart) and tie a brightly colored something to the end of it - chew toy, rag, whatever. Then you use it as bait and let the dog chase it.

Jacko chased this thing for about 20 minutes. The only bad part is that sometimes he catches it and then I have to trick him with a treat to get him to drop it (we still haven't mastered drop it, as you can tell!). Also, if your dog is a chewer he may chew on the nylon whip part - Jacko does. I think I'll reinforce it with some electrical tape or something.

Anyway, it's an awesome way to get him worn out without wearing me out too!

Yup Maggie loves her fishing rod toy lol. I tied some real rabbit fur to the end and she'll chase it for a while; great exercise for a rainy day if you use a dowel rod instead of a lunge whip so it's smaller.

Dixie, we do it with the hose too when it's hot, but our dog would rather jump in and out of the spray than chase it, so he doesn't get as much exercise. Not to mention that our water bill is sky rocketing - the flirt pole (thanks BWD) is a lot easier on the pocketbook!

Thanks to BWD for the tip on making it, too. When this one bites the dust we're going to make our own.

Dixie Girl wrote:

Hey Luisa, who's the little ankle nipper at the end of the rope?
tula_web.jpg

They don't get much cuter than this.

Her name is Tula, and she's awaiting adoption at Pit Bull Hall thanks to the wonderful folks at BAD RAP (scroll down to see more about Pit Bull Hall and cutie-pie Tula).

What a terrific bunch of dogs! If I could, I'd take 'em all. BAD RAP rocks thumbsup.gif

Luisa, Tula is a doll! She looks,,,,,,HAPPY! It makes you wanna know what she finds so amusing!

However,,,,,,,I was refering to that fuzzy thing tied on the rope! LOL looks like a pom or something. :rolleyes:

Disclaimer: I KNOW it is not a live/real animal. It was just a little kidding around.

Luisa, what a complete doll little Tula is! I LOVE her smile! (Note to self: STOP! You have too many animals as it is!)

I actually used the longe whip with Finn when we started on sheep. He had a good Go By, but his Away was not as natural (evidently Finn is right-handed.) So I went and bought a longe whip (having lost my old one in a move somewhere along the way) and used that to encourage the opposite circle. I'm not sure if it helped for that or not, but he totally loved it as a toy. Hmmm, I should try it on Ali, as a sort of mini-lure-coursing game...

Oh My Gosh, I went to our local farm center and got a 6 ft whip for $5.00 tied an old stuffed animal to it and my girls are having a blast with this new toy.

I can drag it fast on the ground or bounce it in the air. I'm sure they are thinking this is the next best thing to dog treats.

Thanks to Jackodog for the tip.