BC Boards

Simply Chase

At the end of February, it will be 3 years since Chase came to me. The end of February also marks 3 years since I lost the 4th of my old timers in less than a year's time. The last 2, Dolly and Tattie, both died in February, 2 weeks apart from each other. After Dolly died, I sat at the computer, tears streaming down my face looking through Pet Finder. I needed another dog like I needed a hole in the head, but I felt the only thing that could help me with my grief was helping a dog in need. I not only looked at BC's but BC x's, since often PB BC's are listed as mixes. And so I came across a picture of Chase. Not a flashy dog. In fact, he was pretty non descript, but he looked about as broken as my heart was and so I contacted the shelter for his story. He was dumped at the shelter by his owners, and not a dog to catch someone's eye, he was constantly passed by potential adopters, to the point when he finally no longer came up the the bars to meet people. He just stayed toward the back, woebegone and resigned that it was not in the cards for him to go with with a family to call his own. And so Chase languished in the shelter for a few months. Some of the shelter workers saw in Chase what visitors to the shelter didn't -- or wouldn't -- that Chase was a really nice dog -- which is why when I called them about Chase, they were elated. I decided that I needed Chase as much as he needed me, and so I said I'd love to take him.

On top of everything else, my car was broken down, and I couldn't make the several hour drive. A transport was arranged and at the end of February, I met Chase. He came right to me, in spite of the fact there were other people around. He was quite the gentleman.

This is Chase when I first brought him home that day:

chasw4.jpg

chase2.jpg

DSCF0001.jpg

There were several times I started to put him up on my Petfinder site, but I didn't. There is something about Chase. Maybe because he came to me during a time in my life when things were really rough? I don't know, but I never could bring myself to put him up for adoption. Chase was the perfect dog, and only would go to the perfect person, and I'd know that perfect person when I'd meet them. There were a couple of possibilities. It wasn't meant to be. Chase became so much more than a dog in need. I watched as he worked his Charm on person after person. And I knew he'd never leave. He was with me to stay. A couple of years later, the dog that no one wanted now had people, friends of mine, arguing who Chase would stay with while I went on a trip. I took constant ribbing that they were going to steal Chase from me. And Chase ate every bit of it up.

And Chase adores children. Always the gentleman, he also plays nursemaid and playmate to my friends' kids and grandkids. He loves them. I honestly think that Chase is a reincarnated soul, something good in a crazy world.

One of my friends, whose house Chase considers his second home, has him now. I asked her to temporarily take him to make room for a rescue bc I was bringing in. Her reply was Chase can come anytime he wants.

Today I got these pictures. I don't think Chasey is coming home anytime soon. LOL He's found his calling:

thatchaseboy0013.jpg

thatchaseboy0033.jpg

thatchaseboy0023.jpg

thatchaseboy0042.jpg

chasewbankie.jpg

The first set of pictures shows how depressed he had become . The last picture with the pink baby blanket looks like he's thinking...........

WHAT have I gotten myself into???

:rolleyes:

At the end of February, it will be 3 years since Chase came to me. The end of February also marks 3 years since I lost the 4th of my old timers in less than a year's time. The last 2, Dolly and Tattie, both died in February, 2 weeks apart from each other. After Dolly died, I sat at the computer, tears streaming down my face looking through Pet Finder. I needed another dog like I needed a hole in the head, but I felt the only thing that could help me with my grief was helping a dog in need. I not only looked at BC's but BC x's, since often PB BC's are listed as mixes. And so I came across a picture of Chase. Not a flashy dog. In fact, he was pretty non descript, but he looked about as broken as my heart was and so I contacted the shelter for his story. He was dumped at the shelter by his owners, and not a dog to catch someone's eye, he was constantly passed by potential adopters, to the point when he finally no longer came up the the bars to meet people. He just stayed toward the back, woebegone and resigned that it was not in the cards for him to go with with a family to call his own. And so Chase languished in the shelter for a few months. Some of the shelter workers saw in Chase what visitors to the shelter didn't -- or wouldn't -- that Chase was a really nice dog -- which is why when I called them about Chase, they were elated. I decided that I needed Chase as much as he needed me, and so I said I'd love to take him.

On top of everything else, my car was broken down, and I couldn't make the several hour drive. A transport was arranged and at the end of February, I met Chase. He came right to me, in spite of the fact there were other people around. He was quite the gentleman.

This is Chase when I first brought him home that day:

chasw4.jpg

chase2.jpg

DSCF0001.jpg

There were several times I started to put him up on my Petfinder site, but I didn't. There is something about Chase. Maybe because he came to me during a time in my life when things were really rough? I don't know, but I never could bring myself to put him up for adoption. Chase was the perfect dog, and only would go to the perfect person, and I'd know that perfect person when I'd meet them. There were a couple of possibilities. It wasn't meant to be. Chase became so much more than a dog in need. I watched as he worked his Charm on person after person. And I knew he'd never leave. He was with me to stay. A couple of years later, the dog that no one wanted now had people, friends of mine, arguing who Chase would stay with while I went on a trip. I took constant ribbing that they were going to steal Chase from me. And Chase ate every bit of it up.

And Chase adores children. Always the gentleman, he also plays nursemaid and playmate to my friends' kids and grandkids. He loves them. I honestly think that Chase is a reincarnated soul, something good in a crazy world.

One of my friends, whose house Chase considers his second home, has him now. I asked her to temporarily take him to make room for a rescue bc I was bringing in. Her reply was Chase can come anytime he wants.

Today I got these pictures. I don't think Chasey is coming home anytime soon. LOL He's found his calling:

thatchaseboy0013.jpg

thatchaseboy0033.jpg

thatchaseboy0023.jpg

thatchaseboy0042.jpg

chasewbankie.jpg

Last winter my middle daughter and her one year old daughter, Kat, were staying with me. Vicki had me watch Chase while she was out of town.

One afternoon Kat was crawling across the living room floor and Chase walked up and sniffed at her. He looked up and made eye contact with me and looked terrified. He ran to the front door and huddled down as if he were expecting to be beat ! My immediate reaction was that his past family must have not allowed him near a youngster and maybe came down too hard on him for it. I made a big fuss over him and reassured him that kids were not off limits in my household. From that moment on..............he NEVER left her side until Vicki came back for him.

Currently............he has adopted Grace the child as his own.

We call the duo " Grace N Chase "

donna :rolleyes:

Where I'm moving is only a few minutes away from where Chase lives now. I'd love to take him back, but I think he's found his calling with children.

I love it when people see the beauty in "nondescript" dogs. They're like the rest of us: can't all be beauty queens, but all have something to offer. And BTW, I think he's lovely. His eyes tell the story. And to see him with that little girl just melts the heart. Thanks for not giving up on him!

They're like the rest of us: can't all be beauty queens...

I have never met the other posters on this board, so I must judge them based on what I see come through their thoughts and words. And if one uses this as a benchmark to judge beauty, then I must disagree with your statement; they are ALL beauty queens! With dogs, as with humans, beauty is not a function of the winning of an artificial pageant, but rather how one influences and contributes to the world around one; and immortality is a function of how one changes the world (or any small portion of it), and the legacy that one leaves for others.