BC Boards

BOR-BEA

Found on Craigslist:

Bor-Bea PUPPIES - $100

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to: see below

Date: 2007-12-29, 10:28PM MST

5-week old Bor-Bea (Border Collie and Beagle) PUPPIES

Cute and Smart puppies for any country loving person. Just 5 black w/ white markings left. Mother is a pure bred Beagle and Father is a Border Collie, thus the name BOR-BEA

Call So-and-So @ (number deliberately omitted) if interested

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jodi

I need to stop looking at Craiglist.

Free puppies to good home

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to: see below

Date: 2007-12-29, 9:21PM MST

Our pure white great Pyrenees got her head stuck between the rails of the foot board of our bed while we were away for a couple of hours and when we found her she was exhausted. We believe our pure white pekingese mated with her and we will have "Pyreking" puppies available very soon.

Please call Dumb or Dumber Dog Owner at (number omitted)

Border-Beagles are popular here. And Border-Labs, and Border-doodles... and oh yeah.. anything they can cross a BC with. The ads are always full of BC crosses and people looking for BCs to cross their dogs with. Had a guy offer me $500 to breed Shadow with his rottie. *facepalm*

meh, the bc is a result of selective breeding, if people want to breed for some of those qualities why not... makes sense to me for things like flyball ect. I just don't know what they're trying to bring to the table with some other breeds. I mean a bc/begal? what is that going to be good at? nudging the ball at you and howling till you throw only to point at where it landed and howl till you go get it.

just don't see mixing a 10 with a 6.5

I'd mix a bc with an aussie shep though, but just cause I like both so much and can only really take care of one dog.

Sleeping, the problem with these deliberate mixed breeds is that only one pup from a litter is used for the intended purpose of say flyball. Then you have the remaining puppies of each and every litter going to clueless people thinking "gee I like both breeds, so I'll get me a bit of both!" Having owned and bred JRT's, I can tell you that they are a hell of a handfull (as much as a BC, only in a smaller package, and they never grow up) and staffy's are no walk in the park for the unsuspecting new dog owner either....I can just imagine how many of these stupid mixes end up in shelters, rescue or euthananaised because the dog is out of its mind due to such strong (and often opposing) instincts controlling it.

You don't achieve selective breeding for particular qualities from one or two litters....it takes generations and generations of selective breeding to put qualities into a breed - or take them out. People who deliberately breed these mixes are exploiting their pets for money (not to mention adding the genetic faults from two breeds into the offspring). If someone wants a flyball or other sports dog - go to a shelter and rescue an older puppy or young adult that clearly shows the indiciations that it will be suitable for your chosen sport.

Michelle

That is insane. Border Collie/Beagle. Good luck. I've seen BC/Black Lab crosses in action and let me tell you, NUTS'O!

I just don't get people.

I recently had a HUGE fight with my best friend about having her dog fixed. He is a "tea cup" chiauau (SP, i know) and she wanted to breed him. I stated the facts; tea cups are not actually a breed. tea cups are a result of poor breeding and bad genetics, so your cute little 3lb dog is no where close to the breed standard and is a result of people trying to make a buck, so you shouldn't do the same, it's not right and it's not ethical not to mention you could breed a whole litter of dogs with heart problems. it took her about 3 months to realize that I was right. THANK GOD!

I had a chihuahua with bad breeding =/ Her little skull was malformed, had to get teeth removed so they didn't grow up and impale the roof of her mouth. Luckily for me she's now with a man who LOVES chihuahuas and didn't care about the deformity (she was just too small for me, 5lbs of dog living with a family of klutz's... not a good idea) I do miss her a lot tho. I got her spayed before he could take her, I doubt he'd have bred her, but the thought of passing on those genetics scared me.

The border beagles I've seen are insane, they don't ever sit still and bark constantly. Last I checked there were 19 in foster homes that had been taken to the "pound" many still pups. People will keep breeding them tho, pups go for ~$1500 here for some stupid reason. Lot of us are trying to get mandatory spay / neuter laws for people with non-registered kennels, but that would require the province actually hiring some animal control staff who aren't terrified of animals. (The one we have now is terrified of ALL animals, and got the job because her brother is a politician) For now all I can do is talk everyone I know out of breeding their dogs.

Sleeping, the problem with these deliberate mixed breeds is that only one pup from a litter is used for the intended purpose of say flyball. Then you have the remaining puppies of each and every litter going to clueless people thinking "gee I like both breeds, so I'll get me a bit of both!" Having owned and bred JRT's, I can tell you that they are a hell of a handfull (as much as a BC, only in a smaller package, and they never grow up) and staffy's are no walk in the park for the unsuspecting new dog owner either....I can just imagine how many of these stupid mixes end up in shelters, rescue or euthananaised because the dog is out of its mind due to such strong (and often opposing) instincts controlling it.

You don't achieve selective breeding for particular qualities from one or two litters....it takes generations and generations of selective breeding to put qualities into a breed - or take them out. People who deliberately breed these mixes are exploiting their pets for money (not to mention adding the genetic faults from two breeds into the offspring). If someone wants a flyball or other sports dog - go to a shelter and rescue an older puppy or young adult that clearly shows the indiciations that it will be suitable for your chosen sport.

Michelle

your of course right. I, as probably to many others do, seem to forget that you don't end up with one pup. that complication alone throws a wrench in my earlier thought and then there's still the rest of your points. thanks for reminding me of the rest of the facts.

Umm, sleeping, I have a rescue right now that is either an aussie or an aussie/bc mix.... ya want her?

I just talked a woman into neutering her cocker the other day. She was wanting to breed him to have one of his puppies. I asked her about the rest of the puppies and pointed out to her that someone that could be counted on to be responsible with the puppies would not be someone that would be likely to breed their dog to an unregistered one (and one that has the piddling issue- she thought ALL cockers piddled- GEESH)

Lori

I had a chihuahua with bad breeding =/ Her little skull was malformed, had to get teeth removed so they didn't grow up and impale the roof of her mouth. Luckily for me she's now with a man who LOVES chihuahuas and didn't care about the deformity (she was just too small for me, 5lbs of dog living with a family of klutz's... not a good idea) I do miss her a lot tho. I got her spayed before he could take her, I doubt he'd have bred her, but the thought of passing on those genetics scared me.

The border beagles I've seen are insane, they don't ever sit still and bark constantly. Last I checked there were 19 in foster homes that had been taken to the "pound" many still pups. People will keep breeding them tho, pups go for ~$1500 here for some stupid reason. Lot of us are trying to get mandatory spay / neuter laws for people with non-registered kennels, but that would require the province actually hiring some animal control staff who aren't terrified of animals. (The one we have now is terrified of ALL animals, and got the job because her brother is a politician) For now all I can do is talk everyone I know out of breeding their dogs.

I am super glad you got her spayed and she has a wonderful home!!

I could only imagine what those dogs are like....! The whole "Designer Dog" phase has got to go! I don't think that your province is the only one...I think all the animal laws in Canada need to change! And people need to become responsible for their own actions! My dog is a handful, but you know what, she's my dog, I made that commitment to her, I will not fail her or give her up. I know a girl who got a beagle because, well who can resist those eyes! She complained how much he bayed(what did you expect)when they left him outside at night and that he was a bad dog. I told her to spend more time with him, take him to obedience classes and not lock him outside at night. They decided to have a baby and give the dog away instead.

I personally feel that people should take classes and become liscenced before they can own a dog and there should be mandatory spay/neuter laws for sure!!

I was at the grocery store the other evening and when I got back to my car, there was an absolutely beautiful BC in the driver's seat of the SUV parked next to mine.

Really pretty dog....black face with a ticked stripe running up his/her nose....the chest was ticked, and what I could see of the legs, too. Big fluffy tail.

While I was standing there, the dog jumped into the passenger's seat.

That's when I saw the teensy, tiny little legs. Probably no more than 6 or 8 inches long. Oddest thing I've ever seen. Perfectly PB looking BC with short stubby little legs.

So I waited on the owner because I was really curious about the mix. I was thinking Welsh Corgie but the owner said her vet thinks it's Bassett Hound because of the bark/bay.

She got the dog as a pound puppy and was expecting a PB BC.... and kept waiting and waiting for the dog to get taller! Said he's a great dog, but oddly stubborn. :rolleyes:

I've seen BC/Black Lab crosses in action and let me tell you, NUTS'O!

I've seen a ton of BC/Lab mixes it seems to happen a lot. They all seem like very nice dogs. They have BC intelligence and then they calm down after a couple of years. At least that's how it's worked so far for a friend of ours BC/Lab mix.

I don't mind crossing breeds but when they cost an arm and a leg I think that's hilarious. I had a friend who had a collie/akita mix. They were supper proud of their "rare" dog that cost them nearly 1k! I just couldn't get over how they paid that much for a mutt (excuse my terminology).

I've seen a ton of BC/Lab mixes it seems to happen a lot. They all seem like very nice dogs. They have BC intelligence and then they calm down after a couple of years. At least that's how it's worked so far for a friend of ours BC/Lab mix.

It does indeed happen a lot! Don't get me wrong the ones I have known were all great dogs as well, but I did meet one that had little to no training and it was a nightmare....wouldn't come when called, urinated on owners bed frequently...virtually a tornado every where it went. But I guess that could go for any un-trained dog. I should start calling my bc/malamute mix a "rare" dog! Only she didn't cost me anything! Mutts happen, I just wish people would go to the shelters to find their new designer doggie!

Guest SweetJordan
It does indeed happen a lot! Don't get me wrong the ones I have known were all great dogs as well, but I did meet one that had little to no training and it was a nightmare....wouldn't come when called, urinated on owners bed frequently...virtually a tornado every where it went. But I guess that could go for any un-trained dog. I should start calling my bc/malamute mix a "rare" dog! Only she didn't cost me anything! Mutts happen, I just wish people would go to the shelters to find their new designer doggie!

"Designer doggie," that's what kills me. Apparently I had one and didn't even know it. She came from a vet program and to think they never told me(on a side note she probably had lab/beagle/BC in her).

With that being said I have lived w/ many mutts and grew up around many others and they were all (accidents somewhere), but they were all wonderful dogs w/ wonderful temperments. But all this putting this dog w/ this and that needs to stop. There is too much breeding going on and it's the dogs who are paying the price.