BC Boards

BC? Mix?

Rye

Hey,

Just hoping I could get some opinons on this dogs breed. He was said to be part Border collie with maybe some Bernese Mountain and/or Aussie Shepherd.

Just wanting to know what some BC folks think!

Harley.jpg

Harley2.jpg

Harley3.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Well, his owners are trying to find him a home. Apparently he's aggressive with 'some' people. However, from what it sounds like to me (I emailed and asked lots of Q's) he's undersocialized, under excercised, and doesn't have clear boundaries. Very sad.

His agressive tendancies include barking at strangers and nipping people :rolleyes: , which to me sounds like an undersocilaized, untrained BC...

I want to help but am being VERY cautious.

It's all very confusing right now. They tried to hand him off to the shelter but they wouldn't take him because of his 'aggression' (the owners told them upfront and were told to leave, so no evaluation has been done, just the owners take on it). As much as I would normally not get caught up in these things, his pictures have been tugging on my heart strings.

Then again, we'll have to see what my parents think of all this :D. ROFL

About how old is he? Where did his owners get him from? I doubt that it's the dog I'm thinking of, but how strange would it be if.......

He's 1. The people who have him now haven't had him since he was a puppy, though I *think* he came from some sort of 'breeder' ( :rolleyes: )

Fill me in! Now I am curious! :D

The dog I'm thinking of would have been several years older, but still the spitting image of this one. He was also extremely sweet. He was out of working dogs. No one knew what happened to him. It's as though he had disappeared from the face of the earth -- this was a few years ago.

It's a shame that this little guy has a tendency to be flako. You're wise in making a careful decision.

The dog I'm thinking of would have been several years older, but still the spitting image of this one. He was also extremely sweet. He was out of working dogs. No one knew what happened to him. It's as though he had disappeared from the face of the earth -- this was a few years ago.

It's a shame that this little guy has a tendency to be flako. You're wise in making a careful decision.

Yes, it is too bad. I don't think I can help him but I atleast want to try. Chance sare, it will be a no from the get go though.

:rolleyes:

Are you trying to adopt him or what is it, exactly, you are trying to do when you talk about "helping" him? Because if you're going to take him, I'll stop running around trying to find foster space for him. If you just want to wistfully dream about helping him, I'll keep looking.

Vicki, he was a pass around. Some people bought him and then moved into an apartment when he was four months old, and as we all know, border collies wither up, die and then turn into a thousand angry ghosts in an apartment, so they gave them to these folks.

He jumps at and barks at people; he bit their son in the face when their kid stuck his face in the dog's face.

RDM

Are you trying to adopt him or what is it, exactly, you are trying to do when you talk about "helping" him? Because if you're going to take him, I'll stop running around trying to find foster space for him. If you just want to wistfully dream about helping him, I'll keep looking.

Vicki, he was a pass around. Some people bought him and then moved into an apartment when he was four months old, and as we all know, border collies wither up, die and then turn into a thousand angry ghosts in an apartment, so they gave them to these folks.

He jumps at and barks at people; he bit their son in the face when their kid stuck his face in the dog's face.

RDM

I was going to see if anyone I knew wanted another dog, but I'm sure you'll have much more potential owners then I will, LOL.

Interesting. She told me a different story. LOL :rolleyes:

I'm glad to hear that he'll have a chance with people who actually know what they are doing, considering his history. I'mm glad you posted his photo here and I'm glad that you're in on it, RDM. Damn, tho. he looks like that dog who disappeared some years ago.

Oh well. Good luck with the boy.

Harley arrives tomorrow, because my foster homes are damn generous people. Demi Gods, they are. These border collies are blessed, I tell you.

Rye, here is some constructive advice, do with it what you like - but please do not pass on a dog that has an aggression history as a kind gesture. That's how people get bitten and dogs get euthanized. If you are ever of a mind to assist an aggressive or reputedly aggressive dog, be prepared to take him in and work with him yourself. I know you are well meaning, but passing on aggressive dogs does no one any favours. Does anyone have a link to that thread about that biting dog in Ontario that the rescue wouldn't take? That's a good example of why not to do that.

How is Spy doing with his issues, btw? I'm sure you've got enough on your plate with him.

Well, last week I had 3 dogs in rescue, now I have 14. Just when I thought we were getting a break.

RDM

Harley arrives tomorrow, because my foster homes are damn generous people. Demi Gods, they are. These border collies are blessed, I tell you.

Rye, here is some constructive advice, do with it what you like - but please do not pass on a dog that has an aggression history as a kind gesture. That's how people get bitten and dogs get euthanized. If you are ever of a mind to assist an aggressive or reputedly aggressive dog, be prepared to take him in and work with him yourself. I know you are well meaning, but passing on aggressive dogs does no one any favours. Does anyone have a link to that thread about that biting dog in Ontario that the rescue wouldn't take? That's a good example of why not to do that.

Glad to hear this! I hope they can help him. Poor boy!

That's excellent advice. We used to take in the "problem" dogs regularly, and we never placed a dog that had been known for biting without working through the issues, and, even then, we were very careful where they went to. The dogs with those issues, even if they seemed to be cured as such, only went to people that knew how to handle the situations, if the problem ever arose again. These were people that we knew personally or had been referred by people that we knew. Also, we never placed them without a contract, that they signed, explaining the history of the dog, so everything was out in the open. It's just too risky and it holds the person placing the dog liable, so we made sure that we were extremely clear on everything. This was even for dogs that were sweet as they could be, but had a rough start in life and had bitten in defense before. I do miss the rehabilitation part of rescue, but with a small child, it's not a good idea for me to do it at this time. I do wish the best of luck for this boy. RDM, you and your group are wonderful! Good job! :rolleyes:

How is Spy doing with his issues, btw? I'm sure you've got enough on your plate with him.

Well, last week I had 3 dogs in rescue, now I have 14. Just when I thought we were getting a break.

RDM

I totally understand where you are coming from with liabilty and whatnot. She told me his "aggression" was nipping people and barking. She never mentioned biting her kid in the face :rolleyes::D .

Thanks so much for finding him a place to go. Makes me feel a lot better!

Spy is doing much better, thanks. He barely barks anymore (thank god, LOL) and is getting more comfortable with unfamiliar people.

:D

Ears are set a bit high and he's somewhat lightly built for an ES - and they are pretty uncommon in Canada, aren't they? Plus, the prick ear is a Big No for them, even though they don't specifically breed for looks.

I'd love to see a picture that wasn't foreshortened but if you imagine his nose not squunched up into the camera I don't see any "Not BC" red flags. It's a little eerie actually because I had a saddleback sable many years ago that did some serious fear biting. No relation I'm sure - I hope this dog recovers well from his experience.