BC Boards

"The paw"

kerie

Ever since I taught Eko to shake he's been throwing his mitts around like mad. It's his answer to everything. He's always been handsy and when he plays with other dogs hes like a boxer throwing punches lol.

Guest WoobiesMom

Woobie will very politely place a paw on top of your foot and stare intently into your eyes when he wants you to do something with him. If you ignore him long enough he'll lick your toes then lay he head down on top and sigh heavily.

Paw is usually the first behavior he'll offer when he sees a treat too!

I've just started clicker training my Shar-Pei (in preparation for our BC pup) and offering her paw is the first thing she does as well (no matter what it is she wants). We played 101 things to do with a box yesterday and giving it the paw was her most frequent behaviour.

Michelle

Yeah, I get the paw too. When I have a treat he'll do his happy dance (were he dances from one paw to the other) He also gets really wild with his paws ever since I taught him to "shake". I have been smacked in the face with his paw before though :D:rolleyes:

Bear offers his paw, too (usually with the big, brown, don't-you-think-I'm-too-cute-for-words, eyes). It's sporadic, but it seems like he does it when there are other things going on and the attention has shifted from him to something else. Because it's so hot here in Arizona I'm usually in shorts and that's when he decides to, not only offer his paw, but offer with enthusiasm. :rolleyes:

I tell him "off" and make him stop. I wait a few seconds, tell him sit, then shower him with attention. Pawing at me, just like jumping on me and mouthing me, is not ok.

I must admit, I do play a game of "nice to meet you Mr. Bear" and shake paws with him and then after a while I tell him "that'll do" and walk away.

Kimberley

I get more of "the head".

Ever since I taught her the "put your head down" command she will always come up to you and just lay her head in your lap or the closest flat surface when she wants something. It is super cute. :rolleyes:

Ever since I taught her the "put your head down" command she will always come up to you and just lay her head in your lap or the closest flat surface when she wants something. It is super cute. :D

OMG, Mojo does this, as well!!! :rolleyes: I thought I was a genius for teaching him to put his head down on command, but I had no idea that I would create a head-laying monster--whenever he wants to eat what I am eating, he'll put his big fat mug in a very conspicuous spot, and if I "pretend" not to notice, he will slyly change locations to make it even more obvious--i.e., from on top of my foot, to up my shin (and since I am seated, his head will nearly be at a vertical angle, so it is particularly hilarious), and sometimes squishing his face onto what space is available on the edge of my chair when he is feeling particularly desperate. He will then hold that position and keep his body completely still, but furiously wag just his tail, and if I haven't already spit out my mouthful of food because I am laughing so hard, I usually give him a bite. :D

What about the "cover your eyes" trick? You put a paste-up (or sticky-note) what ever you call them on their nose and when they paw at it you give them a click, treat, good dog, whatever and give command. Soon they put it all together with cover your eyes. Pretty tricky, huh? LOL.

What about the "cover your eyes" trick? You put a paste-up (or sticky-note) what ever you call them on their nose and when they paw at it you give them a click, treat, good dog, whatever and give command. Soon they put it all together with cover your eyes. Pretty tricky, huh? LOL.

WOW!! What a great idea. I have been trying to blow air in his face, but he would just look at me per the quote Kat's Dogs has in her signature. :rolleyes: Off to try this *right now.* Thanks for the tip!!!! :D

WOW!! What a great idea. I have been trying to blow air in his face, but he would just look at me per the quote Kat's Dogs has in her signature. :D Off to try this *right now.* Thanks for the tip!!!! :D

Bet it takes more than 10 tries, but let me know how it works :rolleyes:

P.S. Didn't mean to hijack this thread, sorry. I have issues.

Now Ben has kinda got the hang of giving a paw (took a long time and lots of creative thinking from me) now when someone has treats he will run up to them, sit right in front of them staring intently at them and then if there is no response then slloooowleeey the paw starts to lift - all the way up untill he is waving at then - it usually gets him what he wants from people cos it is soo cute

Also he has the other paw thing

Best example was the other day we were siting together on the sofa watching telly, there was a loud noise outside that made him jump and straight away his wee paw shot out and landed ontop of my hand - Like he was holding my hand - and he left it there for a wee while

does that lots it makes me chuckle

I had heard of the post it note thing - its v cool

Also - Ben hasnt got the hang of catching things yet but I thought I would try sticking a treat on his nose

When I let him get it he wiped it off with his paw - thinking of trying a "whats that smell" trick

Yep, my Lindee is just not content unless she has her paw on your arm...or shoulder, or leg, or hand. She'll come up next to me and sit down. I'll start to scratch her head and neck and she'll just plop one of her paws onto my other hand and just let it rest there. That and sometimes she'll sit in my lap and start to lick my face...and when she does that she MUST have a paw on each of my shoulders so her tongue has my faces undivided attention. It's almost as if she's holding me still so she can groom me, it's very cute. :rolleyes: