BC Boards

Rookie Mistake

Debbie clued me in after a Pm message. I knew about grapes, raisins, chocolate but I didn't realize almonds were bad for dogs. I already talked to the vet, and she said that the main thing is if the log is throwing up, loose stools, lethargy, no apetite, etc, which neither of the dogs are, but I am still taking them in tomorrow and probably run blood work. How freaking stupid was I?! Now the one good thing is they never got more than 1 at a time, and definately not more than 3 in a day, and not more than 2 times a week. I don't eat nuts that often, I had been packing them in my lunch recently and they are a nice snack. Grr. Anyways, I'm feeling like a very irresponsible dog owner, I printed out the dangerous foods list from Debbie and I'm going to keep it in my kitchen lest I decide to give the dogs non dog food/treats again.

Has anyone else done this? I know Holly fed Rusty onions for years before she knew dogs shouldn't eat onions, but I am just sick worried, I love love love my dogs. My legs are tired from kicking myself :rolleyes:

Don't kick yourself any more!!!!! ISTM that a lot of the things on the lists are a) maybe a problem for some dogs but not for all - who doesn't know a dog that lived a long and happy life as a chocaholic

and :rolleyes: maybe a problem for any dog if consumed in large enough quantities.

I didn't even know about almonds as a problem, but my dogs do get a bit of avocado when I'm cutting some up, Fergus has eaten apricots complete with the stone, before he learnt to spit that out, he has eaten as many as 3 apples at a time - self-serve - complete with seeds etc.etc.

That said, I am fanatical about not giving them chocolate.

Hope everything is OK with the pupsters.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

I certainly wouldn't beat yourself up over this! And if your vet says they are fine, I don't know that I'd spend a lot of money on bloodwork. One or two almonds probably did no harm.

I have had no luck finding what exactly almonds do, but on every list of poisonous foods to dogs that I can find, Almonds are noted as one of the most poisonous foods, sometimes fatal. Yes, it probably does depend on the dog, like with every other poison. If you look up "almonds dogs" you'll find them on the poisons list. What you'll also find is some recipes using almonds...for dogs. Go figure.

I didn't know that either! Here's what the

ASPCA poison control page has to say:

The good news is that there is currently no data indicating that Brazil nuts (Bertholletia excelsa) or almonds (Prunus dulcis) are toxic to animals.

They can, however, cause stomach upset if eaten in large quantities. All nuts contain fats, which can lead to gastrointestinal upset, such as vomiting and diarrhea. Foods with high fat contents can also potentially produce an inflammatory condition of the pancreas known as pancreatitis. In addition, many commercially sold nuts are salted—and if a pet consumed a large volume of salt from the nuts, this could potentially pose a risk for the development of a sodium ion toxicosis.

For additional helpful information on pet poison prevention, please visit APCC online.

Thanks Ruffmuttgang, that's actually what I did, but for some reason when I search yahoo it just leads to a bunch of message board topics. Weird. Recipes using almonds- yikes. It's one thing to mistakenly feed something to a dog, but I don't know, maybe it's my aversion to cooking, going to the trouble of preparing them a meal without first checking if any ingredients are fatal seems a smidge silly.

Your talking a maximum of 6 little almonds a week?

Unless those almonds are the size of large watermelons I wouldn't give it a second thought unless your dogs are showing some type of uncharateristic behavior.

probably not good to give them salted almonds but as far as almonds go unless someone can show me some solid scientific research showing why a couple of almonds would be bad I would disregard them as being toxic to your dogs in such small quantities.

I believe this myth stems from the bitter almond (Bitter almonds contain a toxic amount of prussic acid, which can be further refined into a poison called cyanide.)

What your eating are sweet almonds.

Sweet almonds are the typical type that are comsumed as snacks and in baked goods.

Bitter almonds are used in extracts and certain flavorings additives.

Now if you happen to even be able to find a handful of raw bitter almonds that have not had the prussic acid leached out of them and you ate them,well yea you might poison yourself.

Consuming a handful of raw bitter almonds can lead to death from this poison

Hell if anything a few almonds might actually be healthy for them.

Almonds are proving to be very healthy for humans.

Almonds offer protein, unsaturated fat, dietary fiber, vitamin E, magnesium, and calcium. whats there that would be bad for a dog??

I've even heard that almonds are good for their coats which makes more sense to me then almonds are toxic to dogs.

So many of these so called dog poisonous food items are just internet myths IMO

some people get all freaked out if they see a dog munch one or two M&Ms saying "oh! chocolate is poisonous to dogs!"

well the research I have found indicates that yea if a 30 lb dog eats a 3 lb bag of chocolate,well the dog might get sick.

Hmmm lets see if I were to eat 10% of my body weight in chocolate my guess is I would puke.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

I guess I'd just rather be safe than sorry when it comes to something that's not an important part of my dogs' diet. You're right that a few almonds probably won't hurt most dogs. I just don't think I'm willing to discover what each of my dogs' tolerance level is for foods that have been deemed poisonous. If it's an internet myth, well, okay, my dogs will just lead totally deprived lives because they'll never have an almond, I guess.

I like to live on the safe side too. But also, if they aren't showing ill effects don't stress to much. That small amount (unless the dog is the size of a chimpmunk) has very little chance of doing any harm. And in terms of "mistakes" - don't worry too much, what is done is done and a lesson learned. :D

Not long ago, my Popcorn (9 pound dog) got into 3 large chocolate bars (I mean the king size kind). Crazy dog. :rolleyes:

Well I don't intentionally go to the trouble of adding almonds to my dogs diets, but if I happen to be munching on some unsalted almonds and the dogs give me their best pitiful me look I'll let them crunch one or two.:rolleyes:

Imitation vanilla extract contains bitter almond oils,,,,but even so the prussic acid has been leached out before they are processed.

Who would use imitation vanilla extract anyway? the real stuff is soooo much better and worth the cost.

OT; but well worth making if you use vanilla extract for cooking/baking.

Ingredients;

2 Cups (16 oz.) vodka

You may also use Brandy or Rum.

(I sometimes add a small amount of dark rum to give a nice aftertaste to my homemade vanilla extract)

6 vanilla beans

You can easily cut this recipe in half and use 3 vanilla beans and 1 cup of vodka, brandy or rum.

You can use any kind of bottle you want, but I do recommend glass.

Let sit in dark cool place for at least 8 weeks and presto,best vanilla extract you can get.

Longer it sits the better it gets too.

eta;slice the beans in half lenthwise,,,place in glass jar,add vodka,brandy,rum or combo of then put away for a couple months.

Well, that's good that it's a myth then- HHorn can stop kicking herself and avoid expensive bloodwork. It's kind of like the pointsetta myth then? Although, I don't do much in the way of healthy foods like almonds, so mine would have been safe in either case. :rolleyes: And pitiful looks from dogs or husbands will never change the fact that I don't share chocolate.

Thanks everyone, since I am on a wellness plan (free visits) I think we will see the vet, but I will skip the bloodwork. I'd rather spend some of that saved $ on a tasty treat at the butcher. I had seen the dog recipes with almonds, but some of the sites made it sound like I fed them thalium or something. They are totally acting their normal doggie selves.

I am still going to be a bit more cautious about people food though, I remember a little puppy of my neighbor's dying because he ate a marshmellow when I was growing up, so I had my 'inner 6 year old' freak out a bit.

Thanks again~ Hayley

(and Gus and Sally)

eta-the puppy with the marshmellow thing was when I was really young, so he could have eaten a whole bag or something, that is just what I remember. Heck, it could have been hit by a car and that is the story my parents told me. It is hust one of those things that stuck in my head. Just wanted to clarify.

I remember a little puppy of my neighbor's dying because he ate a marshmellow when I was growing up...

???

My dogs have eaten marshmallows and experienced no problems. This is the first I've heard of any trouble from marshmallows.

Don't worry- I have about eight "six- year- old freakouts" per day if it makes you feel any better. I've never heard of marshmallows being trouble either- could it have something to do with blockage maybe? That's probably dumb. It's weird how things like that can just stick with you forever.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

Someone suggested that it may be a myth. I have not found any information stating it's either true or untrue but from the sounds of it, HHorn's vet is at least aware of the possible toxicity of almonds.

I'm glad that this topic came up (Not to say, HHorn that I'm glad you are worried about your dogs) because I have been looking for lists since it has and there are a few things on them that I had never realized were dangerous- like onion powder and garlic. I knew raw onions were a danger, but not all onions. I've still only seen almonds on one list though- not saying I think it definitely is or isn't a myth but hopefully that's a good sign for the OP's dogs.

Hmm...

I doubt marshmallows are poisonous unless the puppy ate enough to swell up in his intestines somehow and cause a blockage. Marshmallows are basically just sugar, corn syrup, egg whites, and gelatin.

Internet myths really bug me. One of my students swears that every chocolate bar contains eight cricket legs. He read it on the Internet. There's nothing I, as his science teacher, can do to persuade him that just because he's heard something doesn't mean that it's based on fact.

I can't find anything that says normal (not-bitter) almonds are poisonous to dogs.

Mary

Brandy (RIP) was 16 1/2 when she died. For years....she ate grapes and raisins....both deemed toxic. She also ate cooked onions, garlic, etc. ISTM, that not all dogs have the same toxic allergies to foods as others. Just like humans. JMO for what it's worth :rolleyes: