BC Boards

Could use some suggestions

Hi Everyone!

I really could use some suggestions. My 19 year old son decided to buy a 7 week old pit bull puppy last night and promptly brought her home thinking we would just melt at the sight of a puppy.....well it was more like a melt down (especially for DH). Anyway, she really is adorable, and I would love to keep her, if only to prove that a pit bull can be brought up to be a nice dog in a loving home....but it is impossible right now.

Everyone is working or in school, and he is never home to take care of her, so it would be just like when my daughter brought Bo home....she would become my dog....and I just don't have the time to train another dog right now...

I have never given a dog away before....my son would like to recoup his $100 that her spent on her that he couldn't really afford (although he would REALLY just like to keep her). I was going to adverstise on Craigslist, but I'm afraid of her ending up in the wrong hands, of course that could still happen if I adverstise her in the local rural paper too....

What do you think I should do? Are there any Pit Bull Rescues in Maryland that anyone knows about? I am really beside myself about this...the longer she stays the harder it's going to be...My husband and I agreed that we would foster her until she found a home, but even he is already getting attached!!!

Anyway, sorry for rambling, but I figured if anyone had suggestions or could help it would be you all!!!

Thanks,

Lisa

Here are 3 rescues in MD. but has your son talked to the person he bought the pup from? Also a pup shouldn't be away from momma until he/she is about 10 weeks old in my opinion too many manners to learn from her and siblings yet

Ethical Bull Breed Rescue And Referral Inc MD http://www.centralridge.com/ebbrr/index.htm

ASTAO MD Baltimore http://www.astao.org/rescue.htm

American Pit Bull Terrier Rescue Network MD GreenBelt http://www.nyx.net/~mbur/apbtfaqrescue.html

Mid America Pit bull rescue

http://www.mabbr.org/legislation2.html

Here are 3 rescues in MD. but has your son talked to the person he bought the pup from? Also a pup shouldn't be away from momma until he/she is about 10 weeks old in my opinion too many manners to learn from her and siblings yet

Ethical Bull Breed Rescue And Referral Inc MD http://www.centralridge.com/ebbrr/index.htm

ASTAO MD Baltimore http://www.astao.org/rescue.htm

American Pit Bull Terrier Rescue Network MD GreenBelt http://www.nyx.net/~mbur/apbtfaqrescue.html

Mid America Pit bull rescue

http://www.mabbr.org/legislation2.html

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that part.....I told him the pup was too young to be away from her momma, I don't think that he realized that, but he called the guy back and he said sorry no refunds....then my son asked if he would just take him back and he said "no". That's why we are stuck. Fortunately, Bo is handling it well, as is my older dog Lucy (for right now...) but we just can't keep her.

Thanks for the info!!! So do you think that I should just hand her over to a rescue first or try to place her myself...(with my son's help...of course!)

I would advocate for the rescue--I am no fan of Pit Bulls, but they really can be sweet dogs if raised properly. Rescue will make sure the pup gets into a good home--something that you may not be able to do as efficiently as they can. Good luck!

I think pit bull rescue is the way to go. If you don't have time to raise the pup properly--and it sounds like this is the real issue--then the best chance you can give the pup to have a good home and prove that pit bulls can be nice dogs is to get it into rescue.

As for your son wanting back the $100 he could hardly afford, I'm sorry, but he should have thought about that *before* handing the money over. He can consider it a relatively inexpensive lesson learned, and maybe he'll think twice the next time he decides on an impulse purchase of a living creature. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but ISTM his thoughtlessness has left both your family and this pup in a lurch.

That said, it's pretty commonplace in the working border collie world to let new pups go home at 7 weeks.

J.

I'm kinda with Julie on letting your son take the financial hit. He made a decision with consequences, and these are the consequences. That's how we learn not to do impulsive things that have an impact on other people (and innocent helpless animals.) He's not twelve any more. Eventually we all have to learn these things. Better now than when he's 40 and thinking about impulse-buying a Ferarri with his kids' college fund.

I'm sorry you can't keep the puppy, for her sake. The breeder sounds like a piece of work and she's better off away from there.

Good luck.

I'm with the previous two posters, and If he were mine, I'd make him donate another $100 to what ever rescue rehomes the pup for putting the dog through the trauma and for punting her off to someone else. It's not like Pit Bulls are easy to rehome these days.

Pearse

I'm with the previous two posters, and If he were mine, I'd make him donate another $100 to what ever rescue rehomes the pup for putting the dog through the trauma and for punting her off to someone else. It's not like Pit Bulls are easy to rehome these days.

Pearse

Ditto. Besides, if he kept the pup he would also have to pay hundreds for vaccines, spaying her, supplies, food, etc.

I'm in agreement with the others. Please find a rescue service for him. If your son spent $100 he really couldn't afford, how is he going to afford the rest of the upkeep? Even though we're all guilty of in at one point or another in our lives impulse buying is not a good habit to get into.

Oh! Bad situation!

This might be off topic, but we walk in the morning with a nice guy who got a youngish (1 year?) pit bull girl a few months ago. She is the sweetest dog - she would just about pull out of her skin to go say "hi" to the other dogs, and she is incredibly loving to all the humans at the park.

I found out this morning that she bit the mother of the guy's fiance - "for no reason at all, completely out of the blue," so they took her back to the shelter. I'm pretty sure she'll be put down now - given that she's a pit bull and a known biter.

It's very sad. I don't think I actually believe it when they say that dogs bite for no reason at all... I wonder if the woman was doing long, direct eye contact, taking a toy away... who knows?

Poor Logan!

So - better to get the pup in a very good home where it will be desensitized to EVERYTHING! Pit bulls can't catch a break.

Mary

I also agree with the posters who recommend using a good rescue service so that the pup will have every chance for a good life.

Although it sounds like your son did something irresponsible without thinking things through, you are to be commended for realizing the puppy doesn't fit into your household and wanting to do the right thing by the dog. I hope you are able to find the pup a good rescue.

Thank you for the imput....as I said I was asking for some imput on the puppy and appreciate everyone's response...as for the irresponsibilty of my son, yeah, well thanks for that too...already knew that...and didn't ask for opinions on that...sorry if that sounds harsh...this is a bc forum, not a parenting one...and sorry if I'm sounding a little snippy, but, oh well....lucky for you all that commented on that, you must have perfect children....

That said, we are a dog loving family and when he purchased the puppy, he wasn't thinking (obviously), all he was thinking about was giving a puppy a loving home, which he, my daughter, and all of our pets have always been raised in. I asked for advice not judgements, which is what seems to happen alot on this forum...

So thanks again, and I will probably go back to being a "lurker".....

I'm sorry- but people are just trying to help. You asked for input on a public dog forum populated by people who care deeply about the well being of not only their dogs but about every other dog on the planet from what I've seen. What on earth did you expect? You got links to several rescues, sound advice, and even a bit of sympathy. I thought everyone went pretty easy on him, frankly. You should be earnestly thanking the people who answered you.

You're right, bettilu. I apologize.

Thank you, and your comments weren't even that harsh...your right, we all are guilty of impulse buying and for that matter probably impulse "rescuing".....like I told my husband, he wasn't thinking about the "big picture" only about the sweet little pup..... been there done that myself. By the way, your saying is my favorite, and I am a BIG believer in that! Thanks again!

Pearse

By the way, she really isn't going through any "trauma" right now....

Thank you, and your comments weren't even that harsh...your right, we all are guilty of impulse buying and for that matter probably impulse "rescuing".....like I told my husband, he wasn't thinking about the "big picture" only about the sweet little pup..... been there done that myself. By the way, your saying is my favorite, and I am a BIG believer in that! Thanks again!

You're welcome! When I first read your post(s) in regards to your son, I felt he was a caring person with a big heart and I'm sure a lot, if not all, the people who replied to your post(s) felt the same way. With all due respect, AKB was right. It could have been a lot worse. We meant no disrespect to your parenting skills. It's great to see a caring and compassionate teenager!

I hope you change your mind about just being a "lurker". In fact, as much as your son loves dogs, do you think he might be interested in joining?

Oh sheesh! If you don't want people's opinions then don't ask. *You* brought your son up in the discussion and *you* commented on how he wanted his money, which he could ill afford, back. If *you* didn't want follow-on comments about your son, perhaps *you* should have left him out of your original post. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but frankly I get a bit tired of people asking for advice and then complaining about the advice they receive. In this case, no one was actually commenting on your parenting skills; they were comenting on the fact that your son made a decision and now he has to live with the consequences (a rationale that applies to all people, not just parents or their children). The comments would have been no different if you stated you were the person who had bought the pup and then wanted your money back. And folks wonder why the old timers here stop bothering with the folks in the general sections.... <end of rant>

J.

By the way, she really isn't going through any "trauma" right now....

Obviously your feelings are just a bit hurt over what you're seeing as criticism of your son. But, what Pearse meant was the trauma of a 7 week old puppy leaving it's mother and the only home it's known, to your house, and then on to a rescue or new home. However you chop it up, that's still *a lot* of stress on a dog. Any dog, particularly a young pup. It was not a "knock" to you or your home, just an observation of what the dog has been through. I wouldn't take that personally.

ETA: Did you have any luck finding a rescue to take her? I'd hate to see a pittie end up in the wrong hands, and that could easily happen on Craigslist...

Oh sheesh! If you don't want people's opinions then don't ask. *You* brought your son up in the discussion and *you* commented on how he wanted his money, which he could ill afford, back. If *you* didn't want follow-on comments about your son, perhaps *you* should have left him out of your original post. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but frankly I get a bit tired of people asking for advice and then complaining about the advice they receive. In this case, no one was actually commenting on your parenting skills; they were comenting on the fact that your son made a decision and now he has to live with the consequences (a rationale that applies to all people, not just parents or their children). The comments would have been no different if you stated you were the person who had bought the pup and then wanted your money back. And folks wonder why the old timers here stop bothering with the folks in the general sections.... <end of rant>

J.

And"you" are one of the rudest people on this board, and not just to me.....I appreciated all of the positive advice and said so. btw Couldn't really have told the story w/out including my son now could I? Maybe some of the "oldtimers" should "retire" it they can't keep it civil to people who are simply asking a question or aren't "official sheep herders". As far as myself, I will find somewhere else to get my info.....

Just to let you know, because I feel that it is the right thing to do, (and since you responded to me)....you are the one who originally offended me anyway.....again I was just wondering about pit bull rescues in maryland and got you instead.

Obviously your feelings are just a bit hurt over what you're seeing as criticism of your son. But, what Pearse meant was the trauma of a 7 week old puppy leaving it's mother and the only home it's known, to your house, and then on to a rescue or new home. However you chop it up, that's still *a lot* of stress on a dog. Any dog, particularly a young pup. It was not a "knock" to you or your home, just an observation of what the dog has been through. I wouldn't take that personally.

ETA: Did you have any luck finding a rescue to take her? I'd hate to see a pittie end up in the wrong hands, and that could easily happen on Craigslist...

She is doing fine, and haven't really found a rescue yet....I'm not going to put her on craigslist...and I too will not let her end up in the wrong home if I can help it.l

And"you" are one of the rudest people on this board, and not just to me.....

Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion. I guess I'lljust go join the club of all the other folks here who have been labeled the "rudest people on this board" simply for being blunt and responding to somethng written by the "accuser."

t really have told the story w/out including my son now could I?

Well, you could have simply said, "My son brought home a pup that we can't keep due to family circumstances." Instead you included all the extra information about the money he spent, how he couldn't afford it, how he wanted it back, etc. Did you honestly think someone wasn't going to pick up on that and comment on it? I wasn't the only one to comment, but I'm apparently the rude and offensive one. My point was (and is) that if you don't want people commenting on specifics, then leave those specifics out so that you get only the advice you want to hear while avoiding any extraneous advice that you might find personally insulting.

... "oldtimers" should "retire" it they can't keep it civil to people who are simply asking a question or aren't "official sheep herders".

Hmmm... where does being an "official sheepherder" come into this? And my first response to you was quite civil actually. You may not have liked the response to your original comments, but it was a civil response. It became less civil only after you came back and complained about people picking on your parenting skills (how you made that leap of logic based on comments stating that your son should chalk his lost money up to a learning experience is beyond me, but there it is).

Just to let you know, because I feel that it is the right thing to do, (and since you responded to me)....you are the one who originally offended me anyway.....

Well, I'd say I'm sorry I offended you, but I personally think you were looking for an excuse to be offended, and I can't help that.

J.

You can wail that your son's heart eclipsed his brain all you want, but he clearly had enough forethought to find a crappy breeder, scrounge $100 he supposedly does not have, and go retreive this puppy. You can't fault people for pointing out that this is a bad idea. That's not rude, it' obvious. And for the record, I only have a half border collie and am not engaged in any organized activities with any of my dogs, and I have never felt that I was treated without civility.

Hi Everyone!

I really could use some suggestions. My 19 year old son decided to buy a 7 week old pit bull puppy last night and promptly brought her home thinking we would just melt at the sight of a puppy.....well it was more like a melt down (especially for DH). Anyway, she really is adorable, and I would love to keep her, if only to prove that a pit bull can be brought up to be a nice dog in a loving home....but it is impossible right now.

Everyone is working or in school, and he is never home to take care of her, so it would be just like when my daughter brought Bo home....she would become my dog....and I just don't have the time to train another dog right now...

I have never given a dog away before....my son would like to recoup his $100 that her spent on her that he couldn't really afford (although he would REALLY just like to keep her). I was going to adverstise on Craigslist, but I'm afraid of her ending up in the wrong hands, of course that could still happen if I adverstise her in the local rural paper too....

What do you think I should do? Are there any Pit Bull Rescues in Maryland that anyone knows about? I am really beside myself about this...the longer she stays the harder it's going to be...My husband and I agreed that we would foster her until she found a home, but even he is already getting attached!!!

Anyway, sorry for rambling, but I figured if anyone had suggestions or could help it would be you all!!!

Thanks,

Lisa

(When one comes to a lodge of counsel asking for its wisdom in order to gain perspective to assist them in reaching an answer to their inquiry one comes with humility and respect towards that council, listens to that circle of council and takes into oneself those wisdoms that give aid to one's inquiry and when finished thanks that counsel for its assistance.

To do less is only placing oneself in a position that lessens the likelihood of recieving the full measure of potential wisdom the next time one wishes to seek that council.)

The people who respected your post and gave thier time to listen to it and then to respond gave you good council, it does not mean you have to agree with each response, nor do they expect you to take from their response that which does not aid you.

None who sit in counsel are perfect,,but ALL who sit in counsel stand to gain in wisdom on their path to becoming better human beings.