BC Boards

New Owner and New Member!!

Finally got a border collie, the only type of dogs ive ever had are hearding type first an australian shepherd who lived 16 years then a Catahoula/Queensland mix and now a Royal Basque shepherd and a BC, im still new to BCs but boy is he calm, hes very nice but still a little scard(just got him today, hes a 6 month old Smooth Coat BC purebreed i got him from a rescue. he and his sister were sent there for reasons unknown (was told they were an oops little) i would however like to find out who breed him and see if he has AKC regs or NSDR regs, here are a few pics, also any one know if its normal for BCs to not play with toys (sorry for the long statment), also how big should i expect him to get, i hope he stays around 35 pounds

Jon

100_1540.jpg

100_1541.jpg

100_1542.jpg

100_1543.jpg

100_1544.jpg

100_1545.jpg

Welcome. You'll learn a lot from everyone on here. He's probably still really laid back because he's not really sure were he is yet. Give him a few days and he'll be running around doing puppy zoomies. He's a beautiful dog. I like the spot on his head.

He's really camera shy isn't he? :rolleyes:

He is a cutie welcome! I love the little "Go" spot on the top of his head! Also bless you for going rescue. The odds of finding out who breed him could be slim alot of rescues dont release information about previous owners or breeders. You could see if he is micro chipped or tattooed and track previous owners that way

Welcome aboard Jon

Give him a few day to adjust, I'm sure he has been through quite an ordeal and just needs to settle in to his new home.

Kudos to you for going the rescue route.

Hes a good looking pup.

thanks i always love getting dogs from rescues, thats all ive ever done (except for the little one in pics hes been bought from a breeder) and as for a name i he hasnt really told me his name yet, his personality is still emerging. also a little news i just got him leash trained in 15 min and he has yet to have a potty accident, and ive been praising him when he goes potty outside, he trully is a fun dog, the little one wont sleep with me and he wants to but im crate training him so he cant right now, more pics to come soon

Even if you could find out who the owner is, they probably don't have papers on him anyway since it was an un planned breeding. Most times unless they see the dogs breed they can't paper them. That's probably why they ended up at the rescue.

Even if you could find out who the owner is, they probably don't have papers on him anyway since it was an un planned breeding. Most times unless they see the dogs breed they can't paper them. That's probably why they ended up at the rescue.

if nothing elese i would like to at least know how old he is and i think they can tell me

if nothing elese i would like to at least know how old he is and i think they can tell me

If you adopted from a rescue, they would have known that information if the person who surrendered them had provided it. I have had two litters surrendered where only an approximate date was offered and I either had no way of contacting the original 'breeder' or they didn't bother to return my calls. So chances are if the rescue could not tell you that, you'll never find out. I can't speak for all other rescues, but I absolutely do not give adopters the name or contact info of 'breeders' who surrender litters to me!

Your dog is very cute. A rough estimate of his age is all you really need. I have birthdates on only 2 of my 4 dogs. Mr. Woo and Piper were both born somewhere around November, so I just gave them my birthday :rolleyes:

RDM

He is a sweet looking dog, and I bet you'll have a lot of fun with him. Hang out on this board and you'll enjoy lots of border collie knowledge and folklore. I agree with RDM, just give him a good remember-able birthday. My spring cats have all had Memorial Day, my summer cats July 4th, and my fall cats my own October birthday as their official birthdays. Daisy, whose age I only know + or - 6 months, has a "Gotcha Day" instead.

Welcome aboard, and congrats on being able to provide a good home to a rescue. We adopted an owner-surrendered adult BC almost two years ago, and he is a joy. The previous owner provided his approximate age, and we assigned him the same birthday as a family member so it would be easy to remember. He was also slow to play with toys, and we assumed that he had never had any to play with. He learned quickly, and taught us that if we gave him his own collection of chew toys, he would leave our shoes alone. Fair deal. Good luck.

He's cute. Oh, give him time! :rolleyes: Nykie was bought from a breeder by a girl that had no idea what she was getting into. Luckily, she realized that within a few weeks, and we got her at 9.5wks old. It took her a while to come around and play with toys. She's 8 months old now and our wild child! :D She loves to play with toys, but she has a habit of destroying any fabric ones.

thanks, the rescue said hes about 5 1/2 months old when i got him so i made is B day 3-10-07 wich makes him about 6 months since ive had him for over 2 weeks, also hes finaly got a name, after alot of thought and 2 weeks with no name i decided to call him Diesel

Diesel looks like a very sweet pup! Has he settled in well?

Michelle