BC Boards

Question about coats

At what age can you tell what type of coat a puppy is going to have as an adult?

My little sweet now 13 week old puppy girl has a very smooth coat like my BC mix Buster...but her fur is a little bit longer. She's not very fluffy at all...lol. Is that going to pretty much be how her coat will be as an adult? I was hoping she would have that silky and long BC coat. Doesn't seem to be looking that way. I want fluff! lol...But at least she doesn't shed much at all.

Janet

I'm not sure at what age they get their adult coat. To me it sounds like she'll have a pretty smooth coat though. I'm just guessing.

Taz at 13 weeks (looking maybe a little like he might be a smooth coat):

stand.jpg

Please forgive the expression on his face--he was just entering his "the camera steals my soul" phase.

Taz as an adult (I love his coat--it's rough but not super thick, so he doesn't overheat very easily despite being mainly black):

HandsomeTaz.jpg

june05-5.jpg

Taz is so cute!

Thanks for the pics.... my pup's coat looks alot different from Taz's.

Thanks. Maybe if you posted pics of Callie, it would be easier to guess...

Do you know what her parents looked like? Her aunts and uncles?

The overwhelming majority of smooth coated dogs have prick ears. Although you can't often tell what the ears will eventually be like when the pup is only 13 weeks, I think by then they're usually starting to want to stand a little. Does Callie's ears stand or half-stand at all, ever?

Hmm, that's interesting about short coats/pricked ears.

I was digging around, so here's Alex at about 16 weeks. Smooth coat and his ears still flopping a bit.

6f9rzh0.jpg

And from a week or two ago. His coat is still smooth, but you can see more of his tan undercoat peaking through. I keep hoping he'll grow out of the moth-eaten appearance. Oh, and he has big ol' pricked ears, which you can't see very well in this one, but you can in my avatar.

67yw0ao.jpg

Thank, Laura. :rolleyes: He just turned a year old. Or somewhere around there, he's a rescue so there's no way to know exactly.

He and your adorable Taz had a similar coat when they were younger, but I don't think Alex's is going to get any longer. At what age would you say Taz had his full adult coat? It is beautiful!

He and your adorable Taz had a similar coat when they were younger, but I don't think Alex's is going to get any longer. At what age would you say Taz had his full adult coat? It is beautiful!

Oh, thanks Paula! I had to look up more of his puppy pictures to find this out. At 19 weeks, it's just starting to grow around his head (which is definitely the fluffiest part of him today):

taz2-2.jpg

By 6 months, the difference is much more pronounced (note feathering on his legs, fluffiness at end of tail, and longer hair in general, as he beats up his littermate sister):

IMG_0290.jpg

So I'd say about 5-6 months was when I knew for sure he was going to be a rough coat. I had the advantage of knowing many of his relatives, so I kind of knew he wasn't likely to be a smoothie (though of course, there can be rough coats and smooth coats in the same litter--just almost all of his relatives have rough coats). The next picture I seem to have of him is the lying down one from above "as an adult," though he's actually exactly a year old there. His coat hasn't changed too much since then, though the rough on his neck and chest continued to fill in for another year or so.

bc4pack, I'd love to see pictures of your floppy smooth crew!

Hmmmm, I've got 3 smooth coats with flop ears. Go figure.

My Callie's ears mostly flop or half stand..or are turned inside out against her head. lol

Today I was at Petco and I saw a dog that made me do a double take. She looked almost identical to my pup! This dog was about a year old..so she was much bigger, but her markings and her coat were so identical to Callie's I had to ask the owners what breed their dog is and they said she was a Australian Cattle Dog. This dog looked like she could have been from the same litter as mine..that's how identical her markings were. In another forum I had asked for opinions on my pup's breed because at the shelter where we adopted her, we were told she was a BC, but I didn't think she really looked like one. In that group alot of members thought she might be ACD. So after seeing that dog today, I am wondering if Callie is actually ACD mix, even though her ears aren't up. Maybe she is a mix of both breeds. Her coat feels a little coarser on her back and softer underneath.

She is 13 weeks old now and weighs 14 1/2 lbs.. She's still so little.

Thanks for posting pics of your adorable babies! I love seeing how they looked as tiny puppies and then how they have grown. Below are pics I just took of her 5 minutes ago.

Janet

CalliePup_13weeks_sm.jpg

CalliePup_13weeks_sm3.jpg

CalliePup_13weeks_sm2.jpg

I think someone on here said on another thread that the adult coat grows in spine first so you will be able to see soon

ben not finnished growing yet but it looks like I am going to get an interesting coat

Ben at 8 weeks - kinda fuzzy

P1000538.jpg

around 4 months

RSCN0582.jpg

and now at 5 months

DSCN0613.jpg

DSCN0610.jpg

DSCN0602.jpg

DSCN0627.jpg

and a close up of the wavy coat

DSCN0629.jpg

He is getting some feathering on his legs and his tail is getting long. He wasnt a super fluffy puppy - but I would say more than yourse (who is v cute btw)

but over the last month or so he has been changing to this wavy coat spine first (looked like he had a mohawk first)

Uh oh.. if a fluffy puppy = a fluffy adult.. I'm in trouble! :rolleyes: Shadow is a puffball. Her parents are both "medium coat" so hopefully I won't end up with a Woo toosh (sorry Woo, I love the toosh, I just wouldn't want to have to brush it.. you understand!)

I dunno, Janet, I still think Callie looks BCish. She does look a little stocky, like an ACD, so who knows? It could be partly because she's a bit of a roly-poly puppy. :rolleyes: I'd say she's definitely going to be smooth, either way. It will be fun to watch her grow up and see how she changes, so keep the pics coming! She's adorable.

I dunno, Janet, I still think Callie looks BCish. She does look a little stocky, like an ACD, so who knows? It could be partly because she's a bit of a roly-poly puppy. :D I'd say she's definitely going to be smooth, either way. It will be fun to watch her grow up and see how she changes, so keep the pics coming! She's adorable.

LOL Thanks!

I dont know why she is so roly-poly! It's weird because she does not get overfed..she gets 2 meals per day and when training she gets a little kibble.. but that amount gets deducted from her dinner..and she gets alot of excercise. And I can feel her ribs very easily. I think she is kinda growing into it though. She seems to be growing longer rather than taller. If she would just get taller her belly wouldn't look as big..she seems out of proportion. The vet told me not to feed her less than she is getting and that her weight is perfect...but I was concerned that she was getting fat. :rolleyes:

I am monitoring her closely anyway.

Janet

I dont know why she is so roly-poly! It's weird because she does not get overfed..she gets 2 meals per day and when training she gets a little kibble.. but that amount gets deducted from her dinner..and she gets alot of excercise.

I'm not saying Callie needs to lose weight, but I had two puppies who definitely needed to be on diets by 7 months. But she's so young that she could easily grow into her weight.

Well, THAT was easy...and brilliant!

Look at the length of the hair where the top of the ears meet the head. Rough-coated pups often have tufts of longer hair here while smooth-coated pups do not. These photos are of pups no older than 8-10 weeks.

Mark

Mark, which puppy is that second one? :rolleyes: Have we seen that one grown up recently?

And the other Laura just told me this morning to look at the ears, it makes perfect sense!

How long does it usually take the adult coat to grow in? Anybody? As someone else mentioned, I guess it starts at the spine, and I can see the difference between Alex's coat there (thick and shiney) and his sides (moth eaten). I hope it all ends up looking like his back!