BC Boards

Question about coats

Look at the length of the hair where the top of the ears meet the head. Rough-coated pups often have tufts of longer hair here while smooth-coated pups do not.

Mark

My puppy doesn't have any long tufts on top.

Thanks for explaining that!

All of the puppy/adult pics are so adorable. It's funny how so many of your dogs as pups look so different as adults. They just keep getting cuter!

My BC/Pit mix Buster looks exactly the same as an adult as he did as a pup, but Callie seems to change weekly, especially her face.

Her fur on her back seems to be getting courser.

Thanks for all the replies!

Janet

So what is Holly?

Is she classed as a rough coat then? please. :D100_1596.jpg

ETA - She has a lot of fur but i thought she was kind of smooth coat as it isn't bushy and curly although it is thick. She does look quite broad but has got the tummy tuck and you can feel her ribs easily. Just she is boyish sized!. :rolleyes:

I would say med rought coat. It looks about like Black Jakc's coat. I for one like the rough coat BC's better. If you go by looks that is. But I love everyone one of them, and would take every one if I could :rolleyes:

I say Holly is rough coated. As AJ, said, then it can be broken down into "medium-rough" or something like that, but if it's not smooth, I call it rough, regardless of how rough it is. :D Did that make sense?

Oh, and Janet...about Callie being roly poly. When you look at her, she looks pudgy, but the weight you listed doesn't sound at all overweight. So, maybe once she grows some more, she won't look so, ummm, round. :rolleyes:

What i have noticed is how you can see the body shape so much better on the short coated/smooth coats.

It is very hard to tell with ones like Holly unless you feel them or they are very wet what thier structure is like.

Much easier to assess body condition on the smooth ones too i would think.