BC Boards

Lance turned 1yr today

I dont have any recent pictures but my pup has changed so much in the last few months. He doesn't look so much like a puppy anymore. His hair has thinned and is shiny and he has put on some muscle. Also his ears prick up more, but still are mostly flopped. Lately he has been doing the stalking crouch with his head and shoulders low and focused on either a cat or the water hose when Im watering the plants out front. He started doing that a lot about a month ago.

He seems to be testing what is ok for him to do now. A while ago I got home from the store and headed in the house and from behind me I hear a splash. I look to find Lance sopping wet trying to catch gold fish in the small fish pond out front. He knocked a bunch of slate rocks into the water in the process. He gave me a look that suggested he knew it wasn't ok but couldn't resist. He also pesters the cat more now. And he leaves him and comes when called but the second I'm not paying attention again he's off to find the cat.

It's been a great 10 months since I got him, and a real learning experience. I'f I didn't have these boards for advice I think I'd have a really crazy animal on my hands, so thanks!

I got Lance a big cow bone for his birthday. I would have gotten him a stuffed toy, which he loves, but they only last about 2 minutes. We'll go downtown this evening for dinner and bring him along. He always gets treated well downtown at the restaurants and bars. Maybe I'll buy him a steak or something to bring home.

Wow, time does fly. Happy Bday Lance!! Have fun downtown.

Happy Birthday Lance, Usher is right behind you. How tall is Lance and how much does he weigh? Usher is 20 inches and weighs 40 pounds, but looks a little skinny in his teenage years. I've noticed his mussel is getting wider in the last couple weeks. Is Lance's?

I know what you mean by the boards being helpful. Although I've had 6 other BC's. It's been a long time since I've dealt with a puppy and I wish these boards were around or at least I knew how to work a computer in 1987,

Hope Lance enjoyed his steak!!!

Happy Birthday Lance, Usher is right behind you. How tall is Lance and how much does he weigh? Usher is 20 inches and weighs 40 pounds, but looks a little skinny in his teenage years. I've noticed his mussel is getting wider in the last couple weeks. Is Lance's?

I know what you mean by the boards being helpful. Although I've had 6 other BC's. It's been a long time since I've dealt with a puppy and I wish these boards were around or at least I knew how to work a computer in 1987,

Hope Lance enjoyed his steak!!!

I just weighed and measured him, so his unofficial weight is 35lbs (using a human scale that he doesnt fit on very well :rolleyes: ) and he is 22 inches tall at the shoulder. His muscles do seem to be getting wider and thicker. I've been giving him more excersize lately. He is really thin still though, and has very little to no fat on him. But his ribs aren't prominent so im not thinking he's under weight. the 22inches isn't too accurate either. Someone, not me, misplaced my measuring tapes. I'll verify that later tonight lol. He eats Canidae all life stages supplemented with occational raw meats and veggies.

ETA: he also eats quite a bit of turkey franks in training.

Happy 1st birthday, Lance! And many, many more.

He looks very dignified in the signature photo already :rolleyes: .

Guest LJS1993
I just weighed and measured him, so his unofficial weight is 35lbs (using a human scale that he doesnt fit on very well :rolleyes: ) and he is 22 inches tall at the shoulder. His muscles do seem to be getting wider and thicker. I've been giving him more excersize lately. He is really thin still though, and has very little to no fat on him. But his ribs aren't prominent so im not thinking he's under weight. the 22inches isn't too accurate either. Someone, not me, misplaced my measuring tapes. I'll verify that later tonight lol. He eats Canidae all life stages supplemented with occational raw meats and veggies.

ETA: he also eats quite a bit of turkey franks in training.

Damn man, Lance is skinny. Frek is ten months old and was weighed in at 35lbs and is by no means overweight. As you can tell in my siggy of her she is all muscle. Do I have a bigger female BC?

Happy Birthday, Lance! He's such a beautiful boy, I've always loved him and seeing how he matures. How was the steak, big birthday boy, jucy? :rolleyes: I'm sure you enjoyed it!

Probably the human scale is not the best one to weight him - stop by a Petsmart and get him to hop on the scale they have in front of their vet offices.

And btw, Brandon, you owe us a bunch of pictures of Lance, you've been slacking on that department :D

Happy Birthday, Lance! He's such a beautiful boy, I've always loved him and seeing how he matures. How was the steak, big birthday boy, jucy? :rolleyes: I'm sure you enjoyed it!

Probably the human scale is not the best one to weight him - stop by a Petsmart and get him to hop on the scale they have in front of their vet offices.

And btw, Brandon, you owe us a bunch of pictures of Lance, you've been slacking on that department :D

Yes he did love his steak :D Thats a good idea, to get him weighed at a petsmart. Im sure the human scale reads less than he actually weighs. I mean his tail lays on the floor when he sits on it :D I'll get some pics when I get a new camera. My cheapo pawn shop digital finally kicked the bucket.

Damn man, Lance is skinny. Frek is ten months old and was weighed in at 35lbs and is by no means overweight. As you can tell in my siggy of her she is all muscle. Do I have a bigger female BC?

Lance is probably on the small side of average for a BC. They vary so much ya know. So how much do you think Frek will be when she's done growing? 40lbs or so? I've read that from 12 months on they tend to put on a bit more muscle.

pssst if you use a human scale, pick him up, and weigh yourself with him, take note of that weight, get off the scale, set him down, then get back on, and subtract your weight while holding him, by your own weight, and that will give you Lances weight.

by the way, Happy Birthday Lance!

Heh, I hadn't thought of that lol. Thanks!

Guest LJS1993
Yes he did love his steak :D Thats a good idea, to get him weighed at a petsmart. Im sure the human scale reads less than he actually weighs. I mean his tail lays on the floor when he sits on it :rolleyes: I'll get some pics when I get a new camera. My cheapo pawn shop digital finally kicked the bucket.

Lance is probably on the small side of average for a BC. They vary so much ya know. So how much do you think Frek will be when she's done growing? 40lbs or so? I've read that from 12 months on they tend to put on a bit more muscle.

Nah man, I think she is done growing. She has kind of stalled lately so I think 35-38lbs is about as far as she will go.

Meg reached her "petite flower" weight of 33-35 lbs at about 14 months and I think she is too thin, but vet, BC owners I know and dog trainers I've worked with all say...thats Meg-she's fine. I think short and medium haired BC's evoke more worry when they are light, because we can see and feel the bone so easily.

I do remember someone mentionning that its good to have a few extra pounds in case of illness That's what worries me, the lack of reserve.

HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY Birthday Lance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and many, many more.

Guest LJS1993

I'm starting to think Freckles is big for a female BC. I checked her today and I could easily feel her ribs. She is very deep chested and muscular for a female. That would be weird if Freckles ends up bigger than Tucker. :rolleyes:

I'm starting to think Freckles is big for a female BC. I checked her today and I could easily feel her ribs. She is very deep chested and muscular for a female. That would be weird if Freckles ends up bigger than Tucker. :rolleyes:

Well after husband calling Bo a runt, I guess at 22 inches and 45 lbs I can safely say he is NOT. He's is all muscle though.

Millie is 33 pounds. I think she could go the teensiest bit slimmer, though. Maybe only by a pound. I keep them on the slim side and watch their fitness pretty closely. She is pretty good, though, so I think she's fine. I can feel her ribs without pressure but can't see them. Her stomach has a nice tuck up and is firm.