BC Boards

Found out what was wrong with Usher

This all happened overnight. I thought he was licking at where his dewclaw's used to be, but it was his upper pads. As soon as I found out what it was, I cleaned it and wrapped it and called the vet. They can't get me in until Monday, and told me to (duh) clean it and wrap it. This was during our bandage change this morning. This one is the worst. He has now started licking on the other. He was with me all day and no injury occurred. Could this be a nervous habit he started? Guess we will find out Monday. Poor guy.

7-27-07011.jpg

Does he run and slide? Shonie had a sore just like that on one of her front paws, from chasing the ball and sliding in the grass/dirt/bark. I cleaned it well, put on some Wonder Dust, (the stuff they sell in the equine aisle) and bandaged before exercise for a couple weeks. It healed nicely, and now I check her paws several times a week.

Hers looked really awful the first time I got a look at it, and I was ready to go to the vet, but after the 1st application of Wonder Dust, it looked about half as large and a lot pinker, instead of red and oozy.

Poor guy, I hope he heals up quickly.

Ruth n the BC3

Actually, he has been going to the new dog park that has bark dust down instead of grass- something to think about. My obedience trainer thought it may be some OCD type of thing, which of course all border collies are OCD about something. My ex husband had a lab/golden mix that used to chew his.....um......penis. The vet was baffled. Benedrayl cleared that up. I'll look for the wonder dust at the local feed store-right next to the vet. Keeping the bandages on is difficult at night. I might need to rent an e-collar, but how will he get in & out of the doggy door. LOL.

Wow, that looks painful. What an unusal injury...I may be way off track, but the first thing I thought of when you said he'd started licking the other paw upon discovering he couldn't lick the first was obsessive compulsive disorder - could it be related in any way? It's often stress-related. I've seen dogs with this problem do anything and everything to continue repeating whatever behavior it is they've adopted.

Poor boy - we're hoping he heals quickly.

First of all- Thank you for your concerns and answers-

He just started it after going to the dog park where he fetches the tennis ball 100 MPH and I'm wondering if the bark dust is irritating him. The dust does fly when he skids on the brakes!!! BUT.... it MAY be something that he has developed lately due to an OCD thing. He IS an odd ball. But then I'm not as active as I was with my other dogs. No land and my health going down hill, so maybe this IS something related to that. Also, he is an only dog. I am Leary of getting another because I feel I haven't done quite right by Usher. Oh he has had all the love he can take and goes everywhere with me, has walks and parks and is in obedience and we play ball all day in the house. I have backed off sheep due to his behaviour, that is coming along with the lessons and such. I try so hard to keep him busy and he is mentally busy. Exorcized pretty good and VERY well loved. The question is : Am I ready for another border collie- Nope, not yet. I have my elderly mother coming to stay with me until we get her settled and then ME settled, then maybe another dog. I just can't handle another breed. I have had border collies since 1987. I wouldn't know what to do with another breed.

Looks like a slide to catch a ball owie. Pepper has had a few of those. I'd get some antibiotic on it, as it looks a bit red, and infected.

Poor Usher. It does look like a sliding for the ball cut. Black Jack had that happen to him a while back, it looked just like Usher's does. I cleaned it and wrapped it. Now he's all better and hasn't cut it since.

I hope it starts to feel better soon.

That's probably what happened. Too much tennis ball in the bark dust since it's on both his paws. But.......better safe than sorry. I know the redness is from licking it. I'm glad I got to it in time before he got it any worse. We just got home from our date of dinner and a movie. Boy, is this dog spoiled or what? He actually goes on dates with me. LOL.

What ever girl I go out with has to like Black Jack, and go with him and me. LOL

Love me, Love my dog- In fact, I think this guy is dating me for my dog.... I really taped it up good tonight, hope he doesn't take it off as I sleep. I feel like he should be in ICU. Last night he took the bandage off. He's getting more comfortable with them now. He's being such a good boy as I pick up his paw and look and apply some neuosporin (sp) and bandage it. Then he rests his head on my shoulder kind of like "Thanks, mom- it hurts, but I know you're helping me". He does flinch when I apply the medication and the bandage but doesn't pull his paw back.

Signed-

Just a worried mom

What ever girl I go out with has to like Black Jack, and go with him and me. LOL

If I went out with a girl and she didn't like my dog, then I wouldn't go out with her again. My dog is my best friend lol, and also if he doesn't like her I might not see her again either. But he likes all girls so far. :rolleyes:

If you checked the other pad and there isn't an injury I would suggest OCD.

Guest amylobdell24

Kenna has this same injury really frequently - there is normally a pad there - it's called the carpal pad. They use if for braking - it does come in contact with the ground while running, and they tear it on those fast stops & quick turns. My dog licks it after injuring it - I'm guessing the injury happened first, and Usher's licking it becuase he knows it's injured. If it's minor, I usually let it heal up on it's own - covering it can actually make it heal more slowly - and can increase the chances of it getting infected. If it's as deep as the injury shown in your pic, I'd get him on a round of antibiotics till it's closed, and keep him quiet for a few days - no traipsing around in dirty water, or in areas where it will come in contact with yuckiness till it's sealed up. I've thought about wrapping Kenna's carpal pads before exercise or agility to protect them - my vet said she will learn to be careful to avoid injury, and that I shouldn't worry about it - but I know she doesn't think about anything but the game when she's in the moment! I do wrap them at agility meets, and it seems to help.

He's staying pretty quiet this week-end. No doggie park :rolleyes: He's not fond of that !!! If I take the bandages off, he licks at it more. I would really hate to cut out the doggie park as it is one of his favorite places to go, but we might have to. I hope he doesn't do it again.

Guest WoobiesMom

Aw Mom! Don't cut out the dog park!!! :D Maybe you could wrap them when he goes there, since the surface is kinda rough. Where do you live that you can take him to the movies??? I want to live there!!! There's a cutie at my dog park that brings his GF. She's sullen and cranky, never looks thrilled to be there, doesn't want the dogs to come near her and when the cutie tries to get her to go walking with his dog, she stands in the parking lot with her arms crossed, then they leave. They last all of 5 minutes most days. Poor Mishka never gets to play anymore. :D I'm hoping it doesn't work out. :rolleyes::D :D

The Vet visit went as expected. It was a typical injury from Tennis ball. He could even tell it wasn't on pavement because it wasn't on his bottom pads. I guess I took care of it well enough, he said go ahead and leave the bandages off now. He's healing great. Thank you for worrying about Usher and for all your tips. Yep, he'll be going back to the doggy park, probably padded before he goes again.

Dianne

P.S. I got a big discount for being a worry wart.

The funny thing was, I usually see the wife- its' a hubby/wife team. And the hubby asked me. HEY!! Didn't you work at the humane society and get bit in the face by a rottweiler? I said yea, I think I saw you there, but I only got bit twice by cats coming out of anesthesia then, later........ I wondered........Does my face actually look like it's been bit? LOL!!!