BC Boards

Ben looked awful again this morning so we found a vet that was open and took him there. Yet another nice, knowlegable vet (awfully young though - I must be geting old since my vets are getting younger).

His platelets had crashed and he still had a fever so we started him on prednisone. Unlike the other tick diseases, it's ok to give pred for RMSF. He also got a conservative amount of subQ fluids as he was rather dehydrated. Finally, we maxed out his doxy dose.

Blood panels look good still - I was worried about kidneys when he looked so crappy this morning. She said he's "allowed" to stay like this until Monday, but expects the pred to make a big difference.

Guest WoobiesMom

Aww poor guy! Sending get well quick vibes your way. It's so stressful when our "kids" (human, canine, feline) are ill.

:rolleyes:

Becca, thanks for the update. I was thinking about Ben earlier today and was wondering how he was doing. The prednisone will increase his appetite. Will continue keeping our fingers crossed and pray he can keep the food down.

Poor Ben. I hope he gets better soon. How's he doing today?

I got away to the trial at Dr. Ben's for the day. Ben got up all by himself this morning, ate a little green tripe, and had several small meals all day! Then tonight he ate a whole can of his favorite commercial food - Merrick's Working Dog Stew (isn't that perfect? but it really is). *Doing the Dance of Joy*

He's alert, responsive, resting comfortably instead of weird and hunched, and he actually ran a few steps during our post-doxycycline walk tonight. That was kind of startling - I had almost gotten used to the pathetic wobbly hobbling of the past week.

I am exhausted, even after my break today (courtesy of the loving hubby and Laura, who drove me down there). Ben just got his last med for the night so nighty-night all!

Glad to hear he is doing better! Hope he continues to get better and stronger every day!

Anna