BC Boards

Lepto

sea4th

Is there any reason in particular the "all in one" shot no longer includes lepto? Is there any reason why a vet clinic would not provide lepto vaccs.

There is an animal clinic closer to me that I had started taking my rescues to. Stella was one of the dogs that I paid to have everything done on her. Stella's new owner, my daughter, took her to the vet today for a final round of shots and to have her stitches removed. That vet is the one who noticed the absence of lepto in her vet records.

When I called - and I didn't like their attitude, they said they don't give them, wouldn't tell me why, that they just don't, almost as though my asking was an annoyance.

I called back, pissed off about the attitude I encountered and got a hold of someone a little more diplomatic who said they see no cases of lepto in NE Ohio that they've stopped giving it (hmmm. Maybe because the vaccs eradicated cases of lepto?), that they don't even carry it anymore and I should just tell new owners that we don't have lepto in NE Ohio anymore and their own vet should administer it.

'scuse me - I told her. I had a friend who lost her BC to lepto a couple of years back.

I'd be interested in feedback on this.

Lepto is one of those topics where you see a lot of differing opinions. The shot itself, I believe, is more likely to cause reactions than other vaccines. Around me (SW Michigan) some vets strongly encourage Lepto shots. Others are less inclined to think it is needed or say that it only covers some of the strains so is of limited use. A couple of vets have said they never give it to puppies. One of my breeders said that the only puppy she lost to vaccines was due to lepto. My Lhasa had a bad reaction to his first lepto shot at 1 1/2 years so he can't have it any more.

That said, I prefer my dogs to have the vaccine because Lepto scares me silly. Sorry. This probably is not that much help to you. I just hear lots of different opinions on the disease and the vaccine, which may be part of what you ran into with your vet.

It seems that as will all vaccines some dogs have shown reactions to the Lepto. I would NEVER not do it! I had always had my vets give the Lepto combo. Never thought twice about a new vet (due to a move who knew I work in a barn and that the dog will be with me all day) not giving it. I had actually no clue about it others than a friend of my families that got it herself from a rodent...don't ask..

My pup died and I was heartbroken. After sinking close to $1000 into her for diagnostics, while she was suffering, I had to make the decision to put her down. It was one of the lovely emergency clinics. But it was miserable and none of my dogs will ever be without it again!

I will deal with a reaction, but not the disease again! But that is just me. :rolleyes:

I'd be interested in feedback on this.

If you do a search on the forum "lepto" you will find a thread that was started by Denise Wall in July 2006 I believe - "lepto heads up" and it is a very insightful and informative post/thread. I think it will not only answer some of your questions but also have you asking more. Sorry for not linking to it but I goof when I try!

Karen

I think it's because most authorities now recommend the standard vaccines (distemper, adenovirus-2, parvo, parainfluenza, rabies) every three years, but the lepto vaccine is only effective for about one year. I'm glad this thread came up because I need to think about revaccinating my dogs, at least for lepto.

Here are the vaccination recommendations from the Penn vet school and the vet school at UC Davis. What I do is look at whatever the nearest vet school recommends because it'll be up-to-date information tailored to my geographical area.

I'm not one of those people who refuses to vaccinate my dogs, but I prefer not to vaccinate them more often than necessary. I thought this article on IVIS.org was interesting (you have to subscribe to IVIS but it's a free subscription):

Considerations in Designing Effective and Safe Vaccination Programs for Dogs

Basically what it says is that canine distemper, parvo, and adenovirus vaccines are good for at least 7 years and probably for the life of the dog, as the 7-year figure is simply the length of the longest studies thus far. It suggests that over 80% of dogs only need to be vaccinated once as adults against these diseases to be protected for life. Therefore, I have been disinclined to revaccinate my dogs against these three diseases, but am thinking I need to do some more research because I don't want to hang their health on a single article I found online, although it is from a reputable source.

One of the problems I've run into in the past is that many facilities, like kennels, or the place I want to take Solo so he can get exercise swimming, require dogs to be recently vaccinated against the common diseases. I would rather vaccinate my dogs at home than take them to the vet, to save money and prevent Solo from having to be terrified by people in white coats. But will places accept vaccinations given at home as valid? What about for travel?

Typically the only vaccine required for travel in the US is rabies. That has to be given by a liscenced vaccinator or a vet. The reason for that is that rabies, being a fatal disease of humans, is a public health concern. Hence they want someone certified and liscenced to do the vaccine so they know it was given correctly and was the appropriate type of vaccine. (This is not to say that you might not be perfectly competent to deliver the appropriate vaccine, but this way they know that the vaccinator is certified and obtaining and using appropriate vaccine.) The laws on frequency of rabies vaccination vary based on location. Most places accept that as a three-year vaccine in adult dogs, but some accept it only as a one-year.

As for whether or not local kennels, groomers, trainers, parks/play areas etc will accept vaccines given at home as appropriate vaccination, that's kind of up to them. They can make up their own rules.

In my experience, most kennels, vets, groomers, clubs, etc either require proof of vaccination or proof of vaccine titers. That's only for the distemper/parvo combo usually. Bordatella is usually required every year or 6 months, depending on the business, and rabies per state law. And no...a lot of places WON'T accept vaccines given at home. If that's what you would like to do, I'd advise contacting the kennels or dog clubs that you take Solo (or any other dog) to BEFORE buying the vaccines. See if you can provide a purchase receipt and the sticker from the vaccine vial as proof.

Here in LA we DO see cases of Lepto. It's not as prevalent as parvo or distemper, but it does come up every so often. The vaccine protocol at the vet I work for has a series of three for puppies. First series only has the DHPP, and no Lepto. Second and third puppy series and adult vaccines have the Lepto in it.

Vaccine titering or three (or more) year vaccine protocols aren't really common place down here. I'm still excited because my parish (county) JUST switched over to a 3 year rabies. Unfortunately, the vet I work for is in another parish, so I have to vaccinate there and re-license up here at a different vet since parish/county licensing is done by the vets, but I'll take what I can get.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

I think it is important to look at the risk vs. benefit analysis for your particular location before deciding to vaccinate for a specific disease. In Texas, on average, only 12 cases of Lepto are reported each year in dogs. There are ~7 million dogs in Texas. For me, living in a state where the risk of infection of Lepto is 0.00017%, it is far more dangerous to give the Lepto vaccine, the vaccine which produces the highest number of adverse reactions, than it is not to give it.

If I lived in North Carolina, my decision on this matter would almost certainly be different.

Well, sorry to trot out this old chestnut again, but I feel I must.

I have four dogs. Two have been vaccinated for Lepto. Two have not.

Of the two that have been vaccinated for Lepto, both - that is 100% - dogs have autoimmune issues. There's Red Dog's business with his elbows, and Piper has Lupus.

Worse yet, one of the dogs that was vaccinated for Lepto, which is Red Dog, GOT Lepto! He contracted it and recovered, with supportive therapy and antibiotics, and good portion of my bank account. Though I must say that what I've spent dealing his elbows pales in comparison with what I spent treating him for Lepto.

At the time I had two other dogs - one vaccinated for it, one not. Neither contracted Lepto.

None of my vets, that is to say those ranging from very anti-vaccination to extremely allopathic, recommend the Lepto vaccine nor offer it in their clinics. They all need to have it special ordered if someone requests it.

The incidents of Lepto have remained static in my area for the last 40 years. Incidentally, random reports of "increased numbers of Lepto cases" started floating around shortly before the big vaccine maker unveiled it's brand new Lepto vaccine. Yet the veterinary community and the CDC both report no increase in confirmed cases of Lepto in our area.

So even though I've had a dog with Lepto, I'm still not giving the vaccine. I still don't give it to rescues either.

RDM