BC Boards

Quality food = gas?

So I switched River to Merrick chicken because the Canidae lamb gave her the runs. It's been a week and it's firmed up but she has the worst gas this week. It's like she poo'd in the house - except she's right next to me so I know she didn't. Woo-wee! She normally rarely has gas.

So what does that mean? Should I find something else? Wait it out?

I feel for ya. I know how bad that doggie gas can be :rolleyes: I don't know if switching food would have gave her gas or not. I wouldn't think so if she's over her diahrrea and stuff. Maybe wait it out? Could she have eaten something different that didn't set right and gave her gas?

My lab used to get gas with certain foods. And it was baaad gas. I kept switching until I found food that agreed with him more. I dont recall how long I tried to 'wait it out' but probably no more than a week, cause his farts would stink the whole house up.

If I switch, should I keep same brand, just diff flavor? Merrick has a few to choose from.

I dont really know. I hopped brands completely when I had that problem. I did learn one thing, which was to avoid Soy with my dog, because the protiens are hard to digest and cause a lot of gas. Also with my lab I would take him on walks more often whenever I changed his food, because it would stimulate the bowel and help pass gas, or make him ya know.. poo, and I thought that helped. You can also buy digestive enzymes at the pet store. or activated charcoal. BUT I never tried those and you would have to research those options. I was told from reliable sources that they work though. The digestive enzymes are supposed to help the dog digest food better, thus lowering gas buildup in the intestines. The charcoal absorbs toxins in noxious gases in the intestines, but shouldn't be used for more than 2 or 3 days because it also absorbs nutrients that the dog needs. Those two options are good if you want to help eliminate the smell while waiting for her to get used to the new food. Lance has only been on 3 foods in his life. First Purina Pro Plan (breeder fed), then Iams (newbie dog owner, me, fed), now Canidae (A little more educated me.) He never got gassy on any of them luckily. But if, or when rather, something better comes out and there's a fart prob I'll first try a switch, then try the charcoal, then enzymes. I buy those small 8lbs bags to start out with.

I dont know. However I can relate to the doggie gas issue. The other day I was sitting here typing and my hubby was asleep on the couch so it was silent in here. Pretty soon I hear putt, putt putt...like someone trying to immitate purring with their tongue... and it was Riven!! She had such bad gas, it was hilarious cause she slept right through it. It didnt smell so I thought aw thats cute. When I came back from church that night my husband was completely discusted with her. I guess she saved the stinkys for him LOL :rolleyes:

I'd give it some more time, just could be a transition thing. I'd recommend adding a good yogurt, make sure it's the kind with active cultures. A good one to use would be Stoneyfield. Give her a couple of spoonfuls with each meal, it's worth a try.

I'd give it some more time, just could be a transition thing. I'd recommend adding a good yogurt, make sure it's the kind with active cultures. A good one to use would be Stoneyfield. Give her a couple of spoonfuls with each meal, it's worth a try.

I agree. Switching again right now would be too hard on her digestive tract. Yogurt will help digestion.

In addition to the yogurt, I would add some fennel seed. You can find it in the spice aisle. If you can't find ground fennel seed, the whole seed will work. Put about a half teaspoonful in with the yogurt or add water to the dry food and add it. It really helps cut gas and is safe for dogs.

The vet told us that doggie gas is generally caused by slow digestion, or indigestion. She suggested switching Penny to a lower fibre food as fibre is technically indigestable. It took us 5 or 6 foods and 10 months to find one that relieved her gas... also took us around 50 bottle of peptobismol, which is also safe for doggies as long as you give the proper dose (ask your vet!). Then again... Penny's gas was so bad she'd make us all vomit. :rolleyes:

Merrick in general is a good food. When looking at foods, you want one that has pre and probiotics (good gut flora) I'm not sure if Merrick has these. Even with them, switching to a better food can cause the gut to rebalance its self, causing gas. This can last for up to 2-3 weeks. There is a product out there that Eagle makes called Transitions, which is these good organisms. You put around 1/4 tsp on the food til the bottle is gone, about 2 weeks. This does help (they also make a product called Solutions which is Rice bran and the organisms at 4x the concentration which works GREAT for diahrrea, I never travel without it)

Hehe... nother thing I meant to mention. This stuff works wonders on bad smells :DFabreze Air Effects The citrus one even covers fresh skunk... I know from experience :rolleyes:

Febreeze Air Effects is located in the living room (doggie farts), Kitchen (trash), and Bathroom (do I need to explain that one?). I also use it and normal febreeze where the danged cat decides he's gonna randomly pee.

Merrick in general is a good food. When looking at foods, you want one that has pre and probiotics (good gut flora) I'm not sure if Merrick has these. Even with them, switching to a better food can cause the gut to rebalance its self, causing gas. This can last for up to 2-3 weeks.

What should I look for in the ingredients, I don't know what pre/probiotics are. Also, I don't think going from Canidae to Merrick is that big of a step in quality... is it?

Ingredients: (Merrick, Grammy's Pot Pie kibble)

Chicken, Oatmeal, Barley, Chicken Meal, Whole Brown Rice, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols – a source of Natural Vitamin E and Ascorbic Acid, a source of Vitamin C), Flaxseed, Potatoes, Carrots, Peas, Dried Chicken Liver, Whole Apples, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Lysine, Guar Gum, Salt, Choline Chloride, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Whole Blueberries, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Whole Clove Garlic, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Dried Chicken, Chicory Root, Marigold Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterocococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Natural Celery Flavor, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Natural Color (tumeric), Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Ribofl avin Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

The yogut cultures are what help to stabalize the gut, recuce gas, diahrrea and vomiting (Lactobacillus **, Bacillus**, Aspergillus** and Entercoccus** are the main one used for food. In research, they should be sprayed on to the kibble AFTER cooking/extruding as the heat will kill the organism) these are the PRO-biotics

PRE-biotics work in repairing the gut to increase absorption and supports the growth of the benificial bacteria. The only PRE-biotic that I know of being used right now is Inulin. You hopefully will see beet pulp on the ingredient list in conjunction with it. In conjunction with Inulin, beet pulp is used in small amounts to help feed the bacteria when it gets into the gut. (think of adding sugar to help you yeast proof when baking) It's also a good source of Omega 6, and an easily digestable fiber. All in all not a bad additive for food, you just dont want to see it in the top 5.

Basically, the switch and the addition of the gut bacteria may be causing the gas. My 90# BC x went through an AWFULL bout for about 3 weeks when we switched to Eagle Pack food, but now, He can eat less, and basically has no body odor what so ever (unless fed tripe)

Yogurt will only help if your dog is able to digest dairy. Most dogs can't, and it just increases the gas and stomach upset. There are other sources of probiotics - you will probably need to find a non dairy source to be sure that's not the issue too.

As I've suggested before, digestive enzymes are the best bet for a dog with chronic digestive issues and even better than that would be an elimination diet, so you can find exactly what she can, and can't, tolerate. Continuing to try this and that, flairing up her intolerances, is a bit like putting an asthmatic in a perfume shop to find out if its rosewater or musk they are bothered by :rolleyes:

Looking at Merricks I know from years for making my own food that some of mine would have a problem with it. Several can't digest barley, one rice. The *only* way I found this out was to try the dog out on those products when I new that every other product they were eating was a tried and true tolerated substance for them. Otherwise I would still be on the mad hunt for the right food - most likely feed rarer and rarer proteins when they weren't even the problem.

What should I look for in the ingredients, I don't know what pre/probiotics are. Also, I don't think going from Canidae to Merrick is that big of a step in quality... is it?

Even if the quailty is the same, the ingredients and amounts used are different. So IMO it would be understandable that her system would need time to adjust to it.

I'm not sure what all you've tried but, if the Merricks doesn't seem to do the trick, I'd try California Naturals. It is a quailty food with simple ingredients.

Oh I feel ya... for some reason out of the blue all 4 of my dogs have started having atrocious gas (enough so that our guests notice and comment :rolleyes: ). We haven't changed food (everyone's on raw) or added anything new. We just got some yogurt at the store yesterday since I didn't have time to research/find probiotics and it's been about 2 weeks that we've had this problem (but I just got my cast switched to a walking cast on Tuesday and it's my first venture 'out').

Obviously I don't have any suggestions... I can just commisserate! :D