BC Boards

My deck is burning Rivens feet

We dont have a fenced yard, so we have a super long lead tied to our back deck and we just let Riven out for a few minutes tied like that. We dont have any problems with her but we dont leave her out long. So this morning I was barefoot and walked out to get her (she had tangled her line around the deck jumping on and off it) and burnt my feet on the deck. I was thinking holy crap, if Im burning my feet I know she's burning hers! So how can I fix the deck so it doesnt burn her little feet?

We live in Idaho so our soil is more sand than soil, and our back yard is more goatheads than grass so the whole potty experience is not good for her. We are gonna till up the back and reseed, but I still need to fix the deck issue.

Her feet are a lot tougher than yours, as she never wears shoes. Does she LOOK uncomfortable when going out on the deck? Does she behave as though her feet hurt? Reluctant to go out? If no, I wouldn't worry about it.

RDM

Guest WoobiesMom

Indoor outdoor carpeting. Someone I know spent very little money to cover her deck (w/light grey) which is always in burning hot direct sun and had very good results with a set of kitchen shears and a staple gun. She said it was very easy and the carpeting stayed cool to the feet, could be hosed down to clean easily and made the deck (which needed a paint job) look very nice. I'm considering it for my deck, which is also very hot lately. Now I'm glad I haven't trimmed all that fur between Woobie's pads, maybe it helps insulate a bit.

Hi Smileyzookie:

a rug on the deck will help; one with a rubberized non skid bottom. Kmart or Big Lots typically has 'em. Otherwise, I would change Riven's spot to somewhere on the north or east side of your house. I just bought Hailey some booties from Zamzow's for $10 (cheapest I could find). We're going to use them this summer on hots days when heading to the lake--even the dirt path is too hot to walk on. That said, I really think the booties are necessary here....unless you can carry Riven across the hotspots.

Well, if not letting her on the deck isn't an option, I would only let her out there in the morning or early evening. Or spray the deck down with some water first. Or go get a canopy and secure it to the deck somehow for shade. I don't think dog pads work the same way as human feet though, especially if their pads feel callused.

Her feet are a lot tougher than yours, as she never wears shoes. Does she LOOK uncomfortable when going out on the deck? Does she behave as though her feet hurt? Reluctant to go out? If no, I wouldn't worry about it.

RDM

she doesnt act uncomfortable at all actually. The sun is only on the deck for about 6 hours from like 8-2 or something. She doesnt go out but once in that time, unless Im goin out. I never thought about her feet bein tougher.

I really think the booties are necessary here....unless you can carry Riven across the hotspots.

You know, Im gonna agree. We like the dunes here but the sand last year burnt her feet and she ended up just laying down and then we had to carry her. So we havent been goin there, but yesterday at the canyon, it was that typical Idaho dirt (where birds of prey is) and I was getting concerned about her feet there too. The dirt gets REALLY hot! I wonder if I can find some Zamzows online? Hubby wants booties for her too, but most are a crazy amount. We usually only go once a week hiking, but thats enough to hurt her.

ETA: Sorry I guess I should explain further. My back door goes to the deck. So immediately out the door you're on the deck. My front door goes to the front, right to a street nearly. I dont like letting her out there because my neighbors own a lab and the lab jumps the fence and runs over here when she see's Riven, then Riven wont potty and the trip outside is useless.

ETA: Sorry I guess I should explain further. My back door goes to the deck. So immediately out the door you're on the deck. My front door goes to the front, right to a street nearly. I dont like letting her out there because my neighbors own a lab and the lab jumps the fence and runs over here when she see's Riven, then Riven wont potty and the trip outside is useless.

Oh, I see. Then as someone said above, put up a shade somehow. Even an umbrella will help.

Just for travelers to the high desert: bring your dogs here and walk them on the street or cement on a blistering hot day, and prepare to be publicly scolded --not by me though. :rolleyes: (Been there!) And yep, You could fry an egg in seconds around here in the dead heat of summer on dirt or cement. I 'suppose if your dogs are used to it, its possible they could build up enough calluses, but don't say that to the folks in Wieser!

I doubt that booties will work unless they are insulated. I have walked on hot roads with flip flops and I could feel my feet getting uncomfortable. (And I am the bare foot queen, I even go to the woods bare foot! LOL) Also, if it's hot, I believe that dogs also use the bottoms of their feet for heat dispersion, so I don't think I would want them covered. Carpeting would be your best bet, although I don't know what you would do about hiking in such hot places. So far, it seems the dogs can handle more than me, so if she isn't acting uncomfortable, I wouldn't worry. As for hiking, you may want to do that in the early morning or towards sunset. If it's hot enough to burn a dogs feet, I would have to say the dog shouldn't be out exerting it's self anyway. JMO, from a poser!

' '

OK how about a word or two from someone who has to work on the ramp of IAH ....and has a Black Lab to boot.

SHADE.... do not wet the deck, trust me it'll burn feet faster....

if feet start burning at all you'll be told :rolleyes:...a dog will anxiously start looking for some shade... Feet are a lot tougher than you think (when they are dry).

If it's hot enough to burn a dogs feet, I would have to say the dog shouldn't be out exerting it's self anyway.

Well, I can see your point. The issue with not doing anything is that my best friend comes out in the mid day (its IMPOSSIBLE to get her here earlier she lives an hour away and is late for everything) and thats when we go. I can either leave Riven home in the AC, or take her in the heat. I think she's happiest out with me, exercising and being a fool. We always bring water and let her drink often, and wet her fur down a lot. I dont know now reading what you wrote. Hummm... now I gotta think if I should take her or leave her. I dont do much with Riven during the week cause I dont have a car (hubby has it at work) and I dont want to walk her on this hot sidewalk/street, so this is the only real exercise she gets. Other than ball throwing or walking with me. Opinions appreciated... :rolleyes:

JMO, from a poser

:D:D

I'm with those who suggest outdoor carpeting. You don't even have to attach it to the deck - just put it out when it's super hot if you don't want it there all the time.

I might consider that myself. My mutts like to sun themselves on the deck in the summer. They seem to love it, but I'd like to put something down to make it less hot.

I doubt that booties will work unless they are insulated. I have walked on hot roads with flip flops and I could feel my feet getting uncomfortable. (And I am the bare foot queen, I even go to the woods bare foot! LOL) Also, if it's hot, I believe that dogs also use the bottoms of their feet for heat dispersion, so I don't think I would want them covered. Carpeting would be your best bet, although I don't know what you would do about hiking in such hot places. So far, it seems the dogs can handle more than me, so if she isn't acting uncomfortable, I wouldn't worry. As for hiking, you may want to do that in the early morning or towards sunset. If it's hot enough to burn a dogs feet, I would have to say the dog shouldn't be out exerting it's self anyway. JMO, from a poser!

' '

the booties are insulated. I wouldn't bother using them for just a visit outside....too much effort to get them on. I agree that i wouldn't take the dogs out in the mid day heat, but there are times when that's hard to do, for example, when on a road trip, or even just on a jaunt to the lake where a 20 min walk can burn their little tootsies. Booties on en route to the water.....not always, but for those long paths that never see shade. Here, there are times when if you wait for the ground to cool, you may be walking in the dark or waiting until late September.

I like the carpet idea for the hot spot, you can get some really nice area rug type things now for outdoors, would look cool, and if Riven hangs on it, you will know that the bare boards are to hot (but my guess is that her feet can handle it). I would also try and rig some shade structure.

Honestly, if Riven doesn't spend a ton of time on the deck, I don't think her feet will be bothered.

I'm in the process of finding some booties for Eve, though. Just about everything here is concrete and even walking from the car to a store is visibly uncomfortable for her. Though I'm not sure if she'd rather have warm feet or wear the revolting little boots. :rolleyes:

Yup carpeting or artificial shade are your best bets imo. As for exercising in the heat, I'd go in the evenings if at all possible and if not booties are a grand idea.

Do be careful about wetting her down - if the water doesn't get all the way to the skin, it'll just act like an insulator for the heat coming off of her skin because it collects in the hair. Either soak her all the way through, or just put water on her belly and the inside of her back legs, you can even shave those areas to provide for more heat loss and ease of water contact - it's what my Animal Science prof did for his Newfies in the summer. :rolleyes: