BC Boards

My BC mix Cookie who is half BC (but not mixed w/ lab) shows tons of herding instinct. But I am currently fostering a BC mix who appears to be a BC/lab, and he shows almost no herding instinct at all and has never shown any BC eye. My guess would be it depends on how much BC is in the mix and it really comes down to each individual dog.

That's like asking if my new pure BC pup will work sheep or any stock. He has the potential, but there is no way to say, yeah he will work stock, regardless of how well he is bred. A BCXlab dog has the potential IF it picked up a lot of the working charateristics of the BC part of it's heritage. I would say the odds are very low.

In essence, there is a possibility, but not a probability.

It depends what you mean by herd - if you mean chase sheep around or help with simple chores, a lab mix might, but if you mean complete an open course, the odds are extremely low. Remember instinct DOES NOT = ability. The crux of the matter is that not all well-bred (working bred) border collies work to a high standard. When you throw another set of genes (lab genes) into the mix, your chances of producing a working pup drop...

Kim

My BCxLab (we think) has shown a lot of interest, and probably has some natural ability - but he is certainly no stellar example of a working dog... I don't think you can ever know how skilled a dog will end up - but if you dilute the genes that might have produced a very skilled working dog - the chances of getting one decrease...

Missy is a cross between a Border Collie and a Belgian Sheepdog. She evidences some mannerisms and moves that one would expect of a herding dog, although she has never demonstrated any real interest in herding itself. But then again, Annie is a purebred BC who also has not demonstrated any particular interest in herding; her future, as it turns out, lies in being a therapy dog...