BC Boards

Technique for training not to jump up.

I did try something very similar to this for awhile with BJ. It really, really confused him. :rolleyes: He didn't get why I was holding his paws and wasn't telling him, OFF, OFF; or using the -- not looking and not talking to him when I first walk in the door-- behavior.

I went back to not talking to him or looking at him when I first walk in the door. That seemed to get a better response--not jumping up. He'll actually sit there and quiver because he wants to jump up so bad, but he holds himself back. The "paw holding" thing didn't work too well for us, but that doesn't mean someone else hasn't had sucess with it.

I haven't held paws. I generally stoop over the dog and kinda growl OFF right at them. Works really well with very submissive dogs who will crouch down. Then I'll switch to say 'oh good dog' then pet pet pet them in almost crouched position so they don't really get the chance to jump up again.

If you dog doesn't back down like mine, then I'd do the step on the leash approach. I don't think I would ever try to hold paws. Doesn't seem logical to me.

"I don't think I would ever try to hold paws. Doesn't seem logical to me."

Yeah, I tried it today and so far I dont think it's doing anything except confusing him. Plus if he jumps up on someone who wouldn't know to try the hold-the-paws thing, Id still have to use a vocal correction anyway. He doesn't have a big problem with jumping up on me or others he knows but he does still jump up on new friendly people that he meets.

River as a small pup would jump on new people. So since I got her to not jump on me, I'd have her sit every time I came home before I'd pet her or anything. Then when we met new people (like at dog park) I'd tell her sit just before she got up to the person and it translated. Now she ALWAYS auto-sits to greet someone new and she LOVES people. It's awesome.

I must say though, she doesn't sit with me anymore, lol. She sometimes tries to paw at me because I'm not saying hi fast enough - but I'm ok with that, I just remind her 'off' before I put my hands on her. I'd rather she have the best of manners with unsuspecting strangers & children. :rolleyes:

It DOES NOT WORK! My malinois is a jumping beast. When Knox jumps on me, I shuffle into him telling him in a firm voice "Oh yeah? You think this is gonna work?" Or something like that. If he's on leash, I step on the leash just before he jumps.

If you have a small dog like a chihuahua or JRT, you can simply move your leg out of their way.

If someone else is at your house, you can give them a handful of beanbags to chuck at the problem dog while you say off. A water pistol hidden behind your back discreetly squirted into the face is good, if it can be done discreetly. The best thing, I've found, is to NEVER make the behavior rewarding, and never give the opportunity. Squat down when you think jumping might ensue. Instead of petting immediately, keep a rag knotted into a ball stuffed into your pocket to toss, or keep a handful of treats to toss away from you. Remember. Dogs do what works for them. If your dog jumps, turn away and ignore them. If they learn you fuss around with them (praise or negative reinforcement) they'll keep doing it. If you don't, the behavior extinguishes.

To practice control when first entering the house, I tied Joy to a railing, a table leg, or dad hold the leash. I left the house for a few minutes, armed with treats. Then I walked in, and made a huge deal about coming in (if you don't have a dog with SA) to get Joy riled up. I then Walk in to Joy's space, asking for a sit. If she didn't sit, or started to jump and bark, I left her range of reach and busied myself with looking out of the window for a few minutes. If she did, I reinforced with a ton of treats. I did that over and over and over (about 100 interspersed within a few weeks) I did it without her being tied up, but still on leash. If she didn't do as I asked, I ran to the bathroom to hide for a few minutes, or crated her. Whichever was closer. Only for a few minutes though. Of course, I reinforced good behavior. Once that was down pat, coming home jumping behavior was extinguished.

Here is an article from clicker solutions website. You don't need a clicker to work through this, just use a verbal reward marker. http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/2001b/jumping.htm

The problem with holding paws is that you usually end up with a dog that doesn't like his paws handled. I deal with this all the time - people can't wipe their dogs paws or do nails because they created negative associations with their paws for jumping up etc.

With people coming into your home, if they are not dog savvy I always recommend having the dog on leash and rewarding for not trying to jump on your visitor. THey stay on leash until their excitement level goes down, then they are allowed to interact. If they start to get too excited again, then you just pick up the leash and have them either sit or lay down beside you until they calm down, and once again they are allowed to go and interact with the visitor. It doesn't take a dog very long to understand what is required of them so they can go visit.

I like to teach my dog "off" as a solid, cued behavior outside of times when the dog is excited and then slowly transfer it into situations when the dog is excited. In the meantime, I turn my back to the dog when he might jump up to manage the behavior temporarily.

I have to be careful because I want my dogs to jump up on cue for freestyle. I never, ever want my dog to think that jumping up is a bad thing. There are times when it is permitted and times when it is not. I find that if I train a dog to jump up when invited (which is rewarding) and stay off when cued to remain on the floor (which is also highly rewarding), it is not confusing to the dog.

When Dean took the CGC test, we were approaching the tester and before he was close enough to her to jump up, I turned and said "off" to him (as a cue, not a correction) and he kept all four paws on the ground. He will soon get to the point where staying off is the default behavior and he will wait to be invited up.

The key, though, is to train the behavior solidly when your dog is not excited, and then slowly build your dog's ability to respond to the cue in an excited state.

As others have said, grabbing the paws can cause your dog to have an aversion to having paws handled. That's not a good thing.

Here is how much training methods have changed since I started, training a puppy about 18 (or so...) years ago. My first puppy class, back then, taught us to step into the dog and step on their back toes when they jumped on you. It worked, but at what cost?

My current trainer, teaches us to have the dog wait until you can sit down, and give a "feet" command. The puppy can put their feet in your lap and the owner leans over for the greeting. The idea is that the dogs are happy and excited to see you. They are trying to get closer to your face to greet you and say hello. The dog is able to say hello, but under controled, when the owner is ready.

Quite a change.

mobcmom

What has worked great for us is when pup jumps, you go away (go back out the door, or turn your back and leave the room if you were not coming in the door) Don't say anything, just leave. Get some friends to help. Have them come over, ring the doorbell, when you answer the door, if pup jumps, they just turn and leave. In a moment, have them come back in, if pup jumps, repeat. Did not take long for our boy to realize that the jump got him the exact opposite of what he wanted. He now very politely, even hesitantly greets people, guess he really does not want to scare them away!

Hi... I agree, the "holding the paws" technique is confusing and can lead to other problems, (don't touch my feet!!). Also heard the "step on the rear toes while holding front paws", and believe this or not, "while holding the front paws up, scoop the rear feet out from underneath them"! NO WAY!! Especially like mine, if your dealing with hip problems, etc.

I've got two that are young and love to jump up. The best things I've used are the (if they will cower down) are the "growl, stare, cower over with the "off" command", and a water squirt bottle. They both love my mother and she can't be anywhere in my house without them on top of her. All she has to do now is even reach for the water bottle, and they sit right down and settle down. Also with the "off" command, you can try the "settle" command, and when they stop hopping around like a fart in a frying pan, praise and reward generously, but on all fours & bottoms.