BC Boards

My heart is split

After a lot of time, after to have tried many things and to have given her many opportunities, finally with my group was taken the desicion of remove Chemukh as a SAR dog.

She is not a bad dog, but simply she does not have the intensity that this work needs, she cannot do sometimes her work well and other times not, she has to do it well every time. It's not a game, a life could depend on it. Chemukh has not enough drive and she will always be a shy dog, hidden under lots and lots of work... but always there.

Though I didn't do it alone, this one is probably one of the most difficult decisions that I have had to take. According to my group, which I would have to do now is to have another pup to start training it, we are the first operative group of the country, besides ours there are no SAR dogs in Chile, many persons and institutions have deposited their confidence in us and we have the pressure of training more dogs. And I want to, I want to have the opportunitty to show all that Chemukh has taught to me, she was always a challenge and I know my next dog is going to be best.

But I do not have space for two dogs and to get rid of Chemukh is a decision that I'm not capable of taking. Not only that she is my companion, we live both alone and she has been with me in many places and situations, also there is a heap of work invested in her and of time and of expectations. She has earned a 3th and a 2th place in obedience, has taken part in 3 filming TV programs, has travelled more than 10.000 km with me ... there are many things.

And on the other hand, this project of dogs of search and rescue is a very important thing for me, something to what I have dedicated the last 4 years. We are not one more, we are the first ones and the only ones. One of the beautiful things of living in a country in development, is the precious opportunity to be pioneers.

So here we are, I have spent the last 4 days with Chemukh to my side or in the bed, I have slept with her, given longs walks under the rain and I don't know. I don't know what the future is going to say to us.

Catu, I am so sorry. Of course it isn't my decision to make, but I hope Chemukh will always be with you. The two of you have worked so closely together! I understand your dedication to the SAR program, and I hope things change so that you will be able to keep two dogs. I believe that RDM ("Mr. Snappy") keeps at least three border collies in her apartment... I wish you the best, and I'll keep you and Chemukh in my thoughts as you get through this rough time.

Catu,

Some of my team mates went through the similar situations and I am sure there are tons more. Trust me, I feel your pain and I understand your feeling completely. I love SAR and I know this is 'it' for me and I sacrifice a lot to continue this. But I love Jazzy more and she was the reason I got into it so if I ever had to make a decision, I'd choose her. She is also on the shy side and everyone wondered why I didn't make my lab (He was born to do SAR) my top dog. He was natural and had all the elements to make one of the best SAR dogs. But it had to be with Jazzy so I didn't give up on her and continued working with her. But she is not a disaster dog so I can't really compare with your situation.

There is also a disaster dog on my team. They say the dog didn't have enough drive and they suggested the handler to get another dog. He had the choice to get another dog or use one of FEMA dogs. The thing was they already have 3 dogs and he didn't want to give up on this dog. He got the dog when he was a pup for SAR. It was either with this dog or nothing - to him. Fortunately he was given another chance to try this dog and he is working on its drive.

I think this is a real tough decision to make... it's hard because you obviously care about both - saving lives and your dog. Whatever happens... I hope you will be able to stay with Chemukh.

I'm so sorry :rolleyes: . I second what everybody else has said. Please don't give her up.

I hope things work out so that you can get a second dog. If not, maybe you can be on an SAR or mountain rescue team, just not as a dog handler? I'm sure they're grateful for other help, too.

Catu, I am soooo sorry for you and Chemukh. I don't believe you will give her up - you rescued her right :rolleyes: I also think a second dog - chosen specifically with SAR in mind would be the best way to go. You say you don't have space and I'm not aware of how you live exactly, but I don't think I'd necessarily let that stop me. There are a few people on the boards who have multiple dogs in apartments. If time or finances are a problem ( like they would be for me ), then that is a different matter of course.

I don't know what else to say. I have recently quit SAR myself and it is really hard because I didn't want to but felt I had no choice.( Haven't posted about this on the Boards yet ! ) I don't know if Dylan would have been a good SAR dog. I think he could have been if we had had the right trainer/group/situation. I still check all the SAR dog homepages and wish we were still doing it. And I really envied you especially when you posted those pictures recently, and still envy INU SAR is really tough and it is about life and death as you say... Hmmmm...

Anyway, please keep us updated. I'll be watching for your next post. Take care of yourselves.

Even if Chemukh herself will not be an SAR dog, why not stay involved in the group and help other folks train their dogs? That way you would still keep your hand in and support the program, even if you don't have a dog to train at this time. That is what I am doing in Rally; assistant teacher while I don't have a dog to do it. The older ones are retired and the kiddo isn't ready....

Kathy Robbins

I do have one slightly different view. SAR is a very special pursuit. If you feel a calling to it, this is probably one of the only similiar situations that I'd say, go with your head. SAR is so important that you need to consider whether withdrawing your talent and passion for it, is worth accomodating your canine partner. Then again, if you doubt yourself at all, you know better than me what you'd need to decide, as someone who knows what goes into that work.

As to rehoming Chemukh, or simply going to SAR work without a dog, how would she take that after all her training?

I know this hurts really bad. Good luck on your decision.

Thanks to all of you, your words had been warming, not everybody can understand how distressing is this situation to me.

I'm mot taking any desicions yet. As I'm still looking for a job, I don't know if I'm going to stay in Santiago, therefore in K-SAR either. If I leave the city then I would love to take Chemukh with me but if I end staying permanently then I could consider if give her to someone who could work with her (she needs to work, she can't be a yard dog and I don't want her to waste her skills) someone I could keep in touch with her, or, if everything ends being ok, I could have another dog to train and keep Chemukh just to spoil her.

Anyway, by the time she is staying with me, at least until things settle a bit.