BC Boards

Canidae

I feed two types of Canidae to my dogs, the Platinum for my senior dog, All Life Stages for my BC. I read their website announcement and it seemed reassuring. I seem to remember that quite a few people on this board feed their pets this product. Has anyone decided to stop buying it due to the other recalls, and if so, is there a reason, other than general caution about kibble at this point? I don't want to over-react and switch their diets without cause, mainly because my old boy has allergy issues and Canidae has worked well for him.

I feed it and feel pretty safe about it right now but at the same time I've decided I'm going to start cooking for my dogs on a regular basis (using recipes formulated by veterinary nutritionists that I know are complete and balanced). I'll admit I'm getting a bit frightened of my dogs' food.

Although my two dogs seem to have lost weight on Canidae and i was going to switch, I do feel reassured by their website comments and will continue to buy it. I buy All Stages and Platinum. At this point I plan to add to my two thinner dogs meals something like satin balls or what not to give them added bulk - and/or convince them to eat more :rolleyes:

I like that Canidae says that we don't have to worry about their product. Does make me have confidence in their product.

I am still feeding it to two of my dogs and have been thinking of switching the other 5 to it. Change that, I am switching my other dogs to it. Now please, don't let it get recalled. Laura, where are you buying your Canidae? I get mine at All Pets Considered but if I could find a place that the price including delivery is cheaper, I would buy from there.

I'm still feeding it but am tinkering with the idea of cooking again. I think it's safe but I wish I knew, that's what is so frustrating about this recall is that we just don't know. I know that I"ve continued to use it throughout the recall and haven't had any sick dogs...so that's good.

Maria

Laura, where are you buying your Canidae? I get mine at All Pets Considered but if I could find a place that the price including delivery is cheaper, I would buy from there.

:rolleyes: I usually get mine from APC too. I know the Pet Supplies Plus on High Point Road is carrying it - but they (last time I checked) only carry the tiny bag or the biggest bags, and I haven't checked their prices yet. Anyway, this time I got it from www.petfooddirect.com as I had a 22% off coupon in my email, and even with shipping it wound up *slightly* cheaper - and I didn't have to physically go get it. It wasn't really enough to shake a stick at, though, to be honest. I was feeling rather lazy, and who can pass up not only 22% off, but 27.99 (they had a sale) for a 40# bag??? If I had gotten 3 bags instead of just two it would have been even way cheaper per bag.

I feed it to my guys. I also feel pretty reassured by their website comments. So hopefully everything remains OK.

Yeah... the thing that reassured me was the fact that they don't use ANY gluten in their food, and that they don't import ingredients from overseas.

::Crossing my fingers:: Buddy does so WELL on that food.

Mary

I just went to petfoodsdirect.com and the shipping ended up being as much as the food, even when I ordered multiple bags. Is there another way to do it or do I just live too far away?

I don't know about online options, Dana, but wanted to offer another possibility that I just found out about. I actually switched to Canidae shortly before all the recall news hit when I discovered that a local rescuer (for whom I am now fostering Spirit) bought it wholesale and was willing to resell a bag to me at her cost. Although there aren't any convenient retailers in my area, either, it was a happy surprise to find this alternative way to purchase Canidae. If you know any rescuers in your area, then, it might be worth a couple of calls or emails to see if they have similar arrangements. Just another idea to consider.

I just went to petfoodsdirect.com and the shipping ended up being as much as the food, even when I ordered multiple bags. Is there another way to do it or do I just live too far away?

Hi, Dana,

I just did a quick search of the Canidae website, using the town listed under your username, Greeley, CO. According to Canidae, they sell out of these stores:

Country Corner Feed and Pet

970 351-0868

711 28th St

Greeley, CO 80631

J & T Country Feeds, INC

970 378-0240

6380 W 10th St # 1

Greeley, CO 80634

Tail Waggers

970 353-3736

3618 W 10th St

Greeley, CO 80634

Pet Spot

970 351-7387

2146 35th Ave.

Greeley, CO 80634

I'm not sure if you're actually in that town - but there do seem to be a number of dealers all over CO who are selling the Canidae.

http://canidae.com/company/storelocator.html

Good luck!

Mary

Although I am not feeding Canidae (Orijen all the way! LOL), I am going to continue feeding Spy and Tucker the kibble.

I do a lot of research on pet foods and feel safe with this product. Orijen is super healthy and I know a lot of work and research goes into making this food the best it can possibly be.

Wow. That sounded like a sales pitch! :rolleyes::D

Thanks Mary. I do have several places I can get it locally, but the $27.99/bag that was mentioned on petfoodsdirect looked very attractive : ) I am in Greeley and there is a store here that sells it at $35/bag. There is one in Denver that is $32/bag so when I am going to be down there when they are open it works well. I also found out that Canidae has a pretty decent breeders/multiple dog program. I signed up. When you buy 5 bags, they'll send you a coupon for a free bag. You have to submit receipts as well as UPCs. Since I'm feeding 5 dogs it's always great to be able to find a price break.

Angie, thanks for the tip on the rescues. I'll check to see if there is a rescue that gets it at wholesale here. Canidae has had booths at some of the larger dog shows where they've sold it at $30/bag. I'll have to stock up next time!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Dana

I am probably switching to BARF/homemade.

I have wanted to for awhile though, so it isn't just because of the recalls I am switching from Canidae, although that did contribute - you just can't be sure what will come out next *thinking of all the other companies that said their product was fine and recalled it 3 days later* . However, because of training I still need some kibble so will continue to buy Canidae ALS for that reason, but may not buy anymore until this whole pet food thing is back under control. :rolleyes:

Since some of the Nutro Natural Choice cans have been recalled, I have been adding Canidae canned food to my dog's kibble (still Nutro Natural Choice dry). I like the Canidae company and would love to feed their kibble, but Spirit has been losing condition on it so I switched him off of it and onto another brand otherwise I'd still be on it.

I am still feeding Canidae, but I am also going to be switching to a homemade diet. I'm tired of worrying every time I open a new bag of food. If something like that ever happened to my dogs I would be absolutely devastated.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

I am still feeding Canidae and I haven't been worried in the least about it. Everyone except Rumor eats the ALS formula. Ru eats the Lamb & Rice.