BC Boards

When to get a 2nd puppy??

I have the most adorable BC on the planet....... ok maybe universe.

He's about 14 months old now and is everything we could have wanted and more. He is my girlfriend and my first dog, we have no children and have treated Jesse like our baby (he knows it). He's very well trained, VERY affectionate and has a mischievous little which we adore.

Jesse craves our attention 100% of the time and 99% of the time we are happy to give it. He loves other people and other dogs, but if he sees us petting another dog he likes to try and nudge his head under your petting hand.

We would love to get another little BC but have a few concerns:

- how will he take to us giving attention to a new baby in the family??

- will the hard work and training go out the window when he sees the new puppy starts running a muck around the house?

- he's not been 'fixed' and I have concerns that if a puppy is being house broken I'm going to have a grown dog 'covering' the new scent on the floor with his own.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I was hoping to pop a couple of pic in here but can't work out how to do it with having to 'host' them somehwere???

Welcome MeanMrmustard!

I have heard that it's best to have the first dog about 12 mos before adding a 2nd.

They might do just fine. I've always had two dogs and noticed that there is always one that is the attention hog. This is normal and chances are good that most dogs will work out a dominance heirachy all on their own, with no human help - bloodshed...

PS

You can use dropshots.com

I use it and it is so easy.

Welcome to the BC boards MeanMrMustard!!

I just have to ask the story behind that name.

Sounds like jesse is well established in your home and personally I would think at 14 months he would be as happy as you and your GF to get a little brother or sister,just be sure to include him in as much of the process as you can, I have no doubt he will want to be involved in the decision process of puppy shopping.

Chances are if he has good house manners now,he will help teach the little one(the little ones always want to follow and copy the big ones).

Hi Mr Mustard and welcome!

I added a second dog after Tess had turned 2 on recommendation of my trainer - - Tess tends to be a lot like your Jesse - - very social - loves other dogs - - wants to play 24/7 - - I of course wanted to add a second dog a lot earlier than that to 'take the pressure off me' in the play department but was told to make sure Tess's training was SOLID before I did so - - it has worked out really well with Roz - - no jealousy issues - Tess plays with her sooooooooo well - - and I think all in all my trainer was right and I am glad I waited - -

www.photobucket.com is a great photo host and free - once you add your pics to the album - just highlight the last addy under the pic and paste here - your pic will show up in your post - can't wait to see your Jesse!

Maggie, Tess and Roz

I got Tess at 8 weeks or so old and then when she was about a year and a half old, we got Kipp (7 weeks old). It has worked out mostly well, but beware of what we in our household call the "only dog syndrome." :rolleyes: Tess I think really could take or leave Kipp and could care less most of the time that he is here... She loves to play with him and wrestle with him but the big benefit for her has been giving her a "buffer" with people and other dogs. Kipp loves everyone and goes right up to people and other dogs and this gives Tess a break she obviously appreciates.

Tess gets really weird if she does not get time alone with me every day. So every morning I run with the dogs, separately. I go 2 miles with Kipp and then come home and play ball and do some tricks or something, and then I go 3 miles with Tess and we have a ball game, etc. Then we have an afternoon walk all together and an evening walk all together. Then in the evening I make sure Tess gets some playtime with me, usually tug games or something. Kipp gets time alone with me, too, and I am careful to single them both out for their own times. With this system, everything is peachy.

I thought this was really weird but then a guy down the road with a dog about the same age as Kipp said he had the same problem. He was fostering a dog for a bit and his dog, Boise, got really weird and grumpy, and he described the exact same stuff Tess does, while Arrow (the foster) was there. I've since talked to a few other people who have seen the same thing.

Edited to add: That guy with Boise did not say if he tried spending time with Boise separately or not, but I don't think he had the foster long enough to see if that would have made a difference.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

Another Aussie on board! (My hubby is from south australia)

I understand your concern 100%! I have one BC which I love like a human baby and we also have a male lab which is officially my husband's. We got the lab first and 3 months later we got the female BC. They get along and never had any issues. They are both submissive and I think opposite sex helped. I give more attention to the BC and my hubby gives more to the lab so we kind of have two packs that get along. I do all the training (both dogs) but they know who their real bosses are. We puppy-sat a 9 weeks old BC last week. Both dogs got used to her within 2 days. I made sure that I give each one one-on-one time but I also gave my BC the most attention (I can't help it)

So officially I have only one dog and I like to keep it that way unless I get a huge property with sheep or something. I enjoy giving all my attention to one dog and for what we do, it works better.

Welcome!! Out of curiosity, are you planning on fixing Jesse?

I was told to wait till Rivendell was 2 years when I was talking about getting another dog. People still consider 1 year a puppy I suppose? We got her when she was 1 year and we've had her 6 months almost. My desire is that Rivens good manners will help teach a puppy, not puppy manners teachign Riven. Is that unlikely? I dunno lol..

He's beautiful!!! I love those eyes!