BC Boards

Since we are on the topic of spay/neuter

It is not my dog. It is a young Cairn terrier mix that belongs to an elderly lady a couple of blocks away. He is not neutered, constantly running the neighborhood, and I believe he has gotten another of my neighbors dogs pregnant (they are going to the vets and will not keep the litter if she is, she is just a puppy herself). He also chases cars down the street from time to time. I have no idea why he hasn't been picked up by the pound yet, and he is lucky to be alive. I have managed to catch him a couple of times, put him on one of my leashes, and walk him home, all the while fighting him off from trying to hump my leg. He is in desparate need of some manners but he is pretty friendly and most of the time he just seems like he wants to play.

The lady who owns him is old, on oxygen, and obviously can't do anything about it when he escapes. She does have a lead out her back door and she says she puts him on it and he gets off. I think he bolts as soon as the door is opened. I really feel sorry for the poor dog because it is not his fault he is the way he is. I have a feeling that someone, probably a relative trying to ease their guilt for not visiting the lady, got him for her and then forgot about him.

I would like to offer to have him neutered for her and maybe get a couple of friends to pitch in and build her a fence, even a small one so he can't escape, but how do you approach someone with this kind of offer? I know I shouldn't care if I offend her, especially compared to the alternative, but she is elderly and I want to be as kind as possible while also letting her know that it really isn't an option.

Also, she lives in a duplex a couple of blocks from my house so not even sure if I can build a real fence. Do you think some kind of wire type fence could hold a dog like this in? I want to help for the dogs sake and for the elderly ladies sake because I do think she loves the little bastard. She is always grateful and happy to see him when I take him back to her house. I just think she is kind of helpless and probably shouldn't have been given the dog in the first place.

Any suggestions?

Tammy

Guest WoobiesMom

That's a wonderful idea! I think on the neutering front, maybe you could mention health issues he could avoid if he were neutered, or lie and say there's a free clinic and you'd like to volunteer to take him for her, maybe she'd agree that way. I think for the fence that one of those things with the green poles and the mesh fence that's about 4 foot would keep him in since he's a short little bugger. :rolleyes: Good for you for wanting to help!

I would like to offer to have him neutered for her and maybe get a couple of friends to pitch in and build her a fence, even a small one so he can't escape, but how do you approach someone with this kind of offer?

I dont think you would offend her. People in need of help, especially elderly, are most often grateful and willing recipients. I wouldn't make anything up, just tell her that you can do it for her and then the dog will be in less danger of being hit by a car. If she's old she probably cant build the fence herself, and will appreciate it. Insist if she acts like she doesn't want to impose.

Just go make the offer. Tell her you want to make sure the dog is safe, isn't making any puppies and so she can have piece of mind. You can offer to take care of her dog while he has stitches too.

If she says no:

Next time he's out you turn him into the pound instead of the old lady, they usually require the dog to be fixed before someone can get him back. The old lady will either bail her dog, or he could be adopted - you can have them contact you if he isn't adopted and you can go get him if you want. Either way, safer life for him then getting run over by a car.

I had to go through that too. I'm driving someone's (whose house I clean)female Rottweiler in to be spayed and get shots(she has never had any!!).

He has the money all the time, but says he never has the time ( I don't understand that).

I mean c'mon, she is only 3 yrs. old and HAS HAD TWO LITTERS ALREADY!!!!!!!!

Grrr!! That makes me so mad!!! I'm so glad I was able to talk him into a spay.(The cat is going in next...)

Just tell your elderly lady that you love her little guy but would hate to see him get hit by a car, or picked up by the pound, and would she like you to drive and get him neutered?

Although I have to wonder, if she is sick, can she afford it?? Although they do have vouchers for that if she can't.

I'd say definitely offer. Also if you had people willing to do the fence work. Tell her you can see she loves her dog and that you'd like to help her keep him safe. Would she be interested in the help. If you just offend her, she isn't worth helping and you can help the dog instead by taking him him to the animal shelter. But many elderly people appreciate a little attention, someone interested in them and their interests, and someone who cares. Also that is often easier to accept from strangers than family. They have to seem strong and able to cope alone to family so they don't end up in a care facility when they want to stay home. Friendly neighbors willing to look in once in a while help make it easier to stay home.

Of course she also could let him out so someone will bring him home and she'll have someone to talk to for a moment. Just something to consider.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions and for giving me the courage to approach her with it. I offered and she accepted gladly. I am going to call myvet tomorrow and set up the appt. and Thursday evening we are going to build her a little fence around her back porch. It won't really be big enough for him to play in much but at least he won't get out. I also offered to bring him down to my house a couple of times a week and let him play in my backyard with my 3 dogs once he is neutered and back on his feet. I also offered to help her take care of him afterwards. Something that my thick head hadn't even thought of, so thanks for that!.

I am really glad it went well because he is a cute little bugger and now she will be able to control him a little better.

I used to work as a phlebotomist when I was going to college and I worked with a lot of elderly people so I do have a heart for them. Besides, when I am old and feeble, I hope someone helps me to be able to keep my dog(s) if I need it. So hopefully this will be good karma for that. I can't imagine a life without dogs.

thanks again,

Tammy

I'm so glad that it turned out well.

I think that most times, if older people are in over their heads, maybe don't fully realize it until someone mentions that they'd like to help. I bet she was relieved. Great job!

Yep we are neighbors.

We lived on our farm north of Oak Grove for 20 years where our son grew up.

He and his family live SW of Blue Springs now.

Jackson County was getting to crowded for my liking so I bought my present place back in 89 and built our present and hopefully last house.

Never had the time to get into agility, (to busy romping around the farm with our pack of monkeys) although we do enjoy watching well trained dogs do it. Its a cool sport.

Have been to a few Trials as a spectator,,its impressive to see border collies do what they are bred to do.

Am very much pondering attending the World Sheep Dog Trials 2008 (1 of my current top 10 things I would really enjoy doing)

I don't work my dogs on stock (unless I concider myself stock :rolleyes: ) they just live a life of leisure.

Pics of my 3 monkeys

Thunderbolt

Tboltrdy.jpg

Lulu

lulufeb3th.jpg

Jasmine

jasminemarch9th.jpg

You did a great service. I've seen so many times on Animal Planet where the elderly just want their furry friends around and they get to be too much for them. With the gate and all, the little terrier will have some running room and being fixed he won't cause any more problems. Maybe the city could help you out with your expenses. You don't have to mention it to the neighbor.

Devil's advocate here... (though I do 100% agree that it's super nice that you help this senior lady out!)

No matter who's dogs roam...if yourd dog is supervised and confined there will be no litters.

It takes 2 to tango, and it drives me batty to here people blame their unwanted pups on "so-n-so's roaming male dog". They forget that it's their female who was equally unattended and unconfined. Guilt should be on both parties!

When we have females in season they are watched closely or behind a minimum of 2 fences. If the neighbors coonhound shows up, or the local terrier stud they aren't going to get lucky :rolleyes:

Devil's advocate here... (though I do 100% agree that it's super nice that you help this senior lady out!)

No matter who's dogs roam...if yourd dog is supervised and confined there will be no litters.

It takes 2 to tango, and it drives me batty to here people blame their unwanted pups on "so-n-so's roaming male dog". They forget that it's their female who was equally unattended and unconfined. Guilt should be on both parties!

When we have females in season they are watched closely or behind a minimum of 2 fences. If the neighbors coonhound shows up, or the local terrier stud they aren't going to get lucky :rolleyes:

Yes, I agree with you 100%, however, most people are ignorant when it comes to their pets, or at least they think that if their female is in a fenced yard, she will be safe, which just isn't true. BTW, it was not my dog that got pregnant. My old girls have been spayed for years. It was a neighbors dog and she is not sure she is pregnant. I have advised her to get the dog spayed right away so hopefully she will. Her dog is very young, I would say maybe only 7 months so she is nuts if she doesn't.

Also, his roaming wasn't the only reason I wanted to do this, although it was the main one. He chases cars as well and I am afraid he will be killed.

Tammy,

Lenajo is right. It does take 2 to tango. I could be wrong but being on oxygen, I can't see her driving very much or affording high vet bills. If a family member gave her the dog to keep her company, they should have had him neutered before even giving him to her.

Thank you for being a wonderful person. I don't know if you realize it but you're helping your neighbor in more ways than one. Before we moved my mom in with us, her biggest fear was dying alone and no one knowing for days. (We lived an hour away and would visit once a week. She has a sever hearing problem and didn't always hear the phone ring. Whenever I'd call and she didn't answer, I would then call a neighbor to check on her which would embarrass her.) I believe in karma and I feel you will be rewarded tenfold.