BC Boards

Does Not Like Being Humped

Another stray came into our yard the other day. An uneutered pit mix pup(about 1 yr old)and tried to hump Popcorn.

After a few warning growls, Popcorn turned on him rather quickly, and then next thing I know he was hanging off of the pits cheek and the poor dog was trying to shake him off!!

Popcorn is getting VERY intolerant lately about being humped by any dog!!

Not only that but he kept trying to chase him out of our yard and followed him around aggressivley, and checking if he peed anywhere in our yard. I'm wondering, is he doing this because he is dominant, fearful, neurotic or is this just plain normal? (I've only had female dogs before now).

Also I had to hold this pup for Animal Control to come pick up as he had half a chain attached to his collar and stunk to high heaven! And I was not sure if a possibly heartbroke someone was looking for him, so I decided to hold him and try to help reunite them if possible, rather than have him wander lost.

I'm sorry...but do you blame Popcorn for getting violent if humped and the dog won't stop?

Keegan doesn't like anyone near his back end even for a sniff let alone a good humping. I don't mind him telling someone off for it either. Tess is the same way. She promptly sits down and I do not scold her for it because she doesn't want to be bothered in that way.

It seems to me that this dog wasn't getting the hint if Popcorn had to act that aggressively after giving warning growls.

Just seems something silly to worry about unless you feel the dog is acting aggressively without being provoked...but maybe others will disagree.

ETA: Not trying to belittle the situation you feel is needing some advice...I guess I would just look at from your dog's point of view...what would you do to someone if they kept doing something that you told them you didn't appreciate...but they kept on anyway. Also, did Popcorn draw blood and cause a lot of damage? I think this too would tell you how violently he really acted because if he wanted to he could have probably caused some damage but probably didn't.

I just didn't want you to think I was being unkind in my post...and wanted to let you know that I don't think it is something to worry about unless he is really causing some damage.

I'm sorry...but do you blame Popcorn for getting violent if humped and the dog won't stop?

Keegan doesn't like anyone near his back end even for a sniff let alone a good humping. I don't mind him telling someone off for it either. Tess is the same way. She promptly sits down and I do not scold her for it because she doesn't want to be bothered in that way.

It seems to me that this dog wasn't getting the hint if Popcorn had to act that aggressively after giving warning growls.

Just seems something silly to worry about unless you feel the dog is acting aggressively without being provoked...but maybe others will disagree.

ETA: Not trying to belittle the situation you feel is needing some advice...I guess I would just look at from your dog's point of view...what would you do to someone if they kept doing something that you told them you didn't appreciate...but they kept on anyway. Also, did Popcorn draw blood and cause a lot of damage? I think this too would tell you how violently he really acted because if he wanted to he could have probably caused some damage but probably didn't.

I just didn't want you to think I was being unkind in my post...and wanted to let you know that I don't think it is something to worry about unless he is really causing some damage.

Humping another dog generally is a sign of dominance. If I were you, I'd let the dogs work it out (within reason of course). Rivens new dog friend tried humping her quite a bit at first, finally Riven just lit into her and she stopped. SHe's still play aggressive, much more than Riven, but the humping has ceased.

Yea the only thing that might raise my eyebrows about this situation is the grab and hold you described. Maggie too hates being humped and will correct a dog severely for that transgression, but even then it's generally just a very close air snap, shoulder slam, and snarling - impressive but no actual skin contact.

Of course if it were me, I'd try to avoid having my dog sniff strays, especially ones that smell and have been chained, both for their health as well as their physical safety.

Of course I don't blame popcorn at all. But I should have been more clear. On the approach of the dog after it has humped him, he hangs his head and his tail is down and his hackles are up. Is this a sign of his being fear aggressive?

My husband thinks that Popcorn is aggressive.

Also I was trying to lead the popcorn away and into the house when the other tried getting on top of him, so I let Popcorn go as I didn't want to get in the middle of anything that could possibly get nasty.

It sounds like there is some fear component given the posture you described, though I'd hesitat to say aggressive since he was provoked and on home turf at the time. Sounds like Popcorn was in a bit of conflict over "protecting/guarding" his home/pack and not being too sure about the other dog in general.

Sometimes 'leading' a dog somewhere by the collar can instigate another dog into humping them. I don't know if they're overstimulated by the activity, or simply taking advantage of the disadvantaged--more likely the latter--but this occurs at work a lot when we're leading a dog from one room to the next. The 'humpers' aren't always the more dominant dogs, either. Its weird.

Rune tells dogs off for humping her in a similar fashion, and I wouldn't label her as agressive at all. First, the dog gets a warning air-snap, then if he comes back for more she'll repeatedly clip the dog's shoulder/neck fur, and hang on for a second, teeth bared, as if to say "I'm REALLY getting sick of this." If the dog STILL persists, she'll go for the cheek fur. She never draws blood, but she gets her point across. If the pup or dog quits, she'll place nice with them like nothing happened.

As far as the hackles going up, well your Popcorn was a bit worked up at seeing another dog, and naturally wanting to appear bigger, badder, and get hs stinkin' point across that humping was unacceptable! I'd say he handled it in the best way he knew how. For future reference, though, you may want to prevent this occuring for his sake, because some times taking matters into his own hands can get him hurt. If a dog comes up to your dog, head straight up, tail stiff and up, maybe wagging, and seems rather interested in popcorns rear end, step between them if you can, or pull the other dog away and restrain him if you feel comfortable enough doing so. Show popcorn that you got it, theres no need for him to step up to the plate and always take the initiative.

Why does your husband think Popcorn's aggressive? Surely not because of this one incident, right?

Is Popcorn a young dog? The head-down, hackles-raised thing makes me think he's reluctant to enter into a skirmish and is really hoping to bluff his way out of a confrontation. I think this is common with young dogs who haven't fully gained their adult confidence levels. I wouldn't call it fear-aggression - more like "I really don't want to fight you but I will if I have to."

I don't know what Violet would do if another dog actually mounted her. She greets all males with a warning growl, and any that dare come any closer get to see lots of teeth. She's only had to snap at one - I don't know if it was intended as an air snap or if she just missed her target, cause he was getting out of there in a hurry. :rolleyes: She's not what I'd call aggressive, though, because if males are polite to her, she responds in kind. She just makes the ground rules abundantly clear at the start of the relationship. :D

hmmm, I do not have much to add to this, but when Wicket starts humping I let the other dog correct him, finally yesterday a dog scared him enough that he backed down and rolled over.

I figure let the work it out and maybe it won't happen again.

I would not call it aggressive at all, many dogs dont like to be humped, and some dogs just dont get the point lol. what Happy does is the first time she will simply sit down, if the dog persists se growls, bares her teeth and snaps, if the dog still doesnt get the point she does the cheek grab then keeps her front facing the offender, with her back hunched, tail tucked and hackles raised. she is not being aggressive, simply keeping her rear away from the offending dog while warning them to back off. with Misty I have had the escalation go higher then that with Blair, Blair doesnt learn so he will try to hump her, and she has to turn around pin him on his back, grabs the nearest object and bits down hard on it while pressing it to Blairs throat. it look harsh, yes, but Blair doesnt learn, not even THAT warns him off, he just gets upset runs off for 30 second and tries it again lol most dogs are not that stupid though.

Both pepper, and Popcorn are now 14 mos old. And both are fixeed.

No Popcorn doesn't ever draw any blood on other dogs, but he will usually nip and then then chase them from our yard.

Most of the stray dogs always leave willingly. This pit mix fellow just didn't seem to get it...lol. Maybe because he was so young, plus unaltered??? He was entranced with Pepper also and she too is fixed. Both my pups were fixed at 4 mos old!!

So I know she can't smell that intriguing...lol.

I'm just not sure why he wouldn't leave her alone.

Popcorn also defends Pepper from any other dog, the same way. So yes he is very protective.

Also I agree. I too think he lacks a little confidence. I see him quickly gaining it though, as he was able to chase off those two or three offending dogs. I swear, he struts around after he gets them to leave.

I just worry he may get in over his head so I try to get in the middle of it all now, before it blows up, to avoid running into any nasty confrontations.

At first, I thought he was just having a personality clashing problem with a dog here or there, but now I realize it is the un-neutered male dogs he just doesn't like.

Both of my dogs will go after any strange dog that tries to enter the yard. Isn't that their job? You still haven't said why it is that your husband says that Popcorn is aggressive. I do not consider protecting their territory to be aggressive, especially since he isn't drawing blood. Plus, that dog has no business coming into Popcorn's yard and trying to be dominant woth him. JMHO

I wouldn't worry then. :D

Violet always chases stray dogs off our farm - she stays very busy during deer season with all the stray hounds. :D If she could catch one, I suspect she'd give them a little nip as well, but those hounds are fast! I reckon you have to be if you're going to chase deer.

Anyway, I consider Vi to be one of the most non-aggressive dogs on the planet. She's terrified of my Lhasa Apso. :rolleyes:

My husband considers Popcorn aggressive (and even a little neurotic), because he doesn't seem to like other dogs much. He chases most other dogs off. He is dominant with Pepper and so loyal with me my husband thinks it abnormal.

I don't have a problem with any of it, but I said I'd get your opinions so he would believe me that my dogs isn't nuts...lol.

Also it is my opinion is that he just doesn't understand dogs as well as he thinks...lol.