BC Boards

Because Wickets is LONG!! it is half an inch from touching the ground!!!

when he is doing nothing with it. most of the time it is curled up in the air

tail.jpg

Alex's tail isn't very long either. Like Dazzle's, his just reaches his hocks.

Someone mentioned on another thread that it seemed their smooth coats typically had shorter tails. I thought that was curious. Like everything else with border collie looks, I'm sure there's a big variety.

Speedy has really long fur on his tail, too. It looks like his tail is a lot longer than Deans, but I really don't think it's any longer - it's just the fur. I'll have to measure them just for the sake of art.

Oh, duh. I didn't even think about that. *blushes*

:rolleyes:

Thats a good point!! I didn't even think about the length of fur!! BOL!!

How about the other end of the spectrum?

wick_stand.jpg

Of course, it's docked. :rolleyes:

Lou has a fairly average tail, I'd say. Just below the hocks, and it's almost always carried very low, to maximize mud catching. He's the only 'tailed' dog in the house, and we have the mud on the walls to prove it!

01030714.jpg

Dakota has an average tail, it comes down about to his hocks when he isn't carrying it straight out. That's just the actual tail, though. When he carries it low, it drags on the ground because of his fur.

Eve doesn't appear to have a tail most of the time. It's like a Whippet tail, she usually keeps it very low. It comes about to her hocks.

Sydney's tail seems long to me. Then again maybe that's because my Sarah has a half-tail...hmm...

P1010042.jpg

~Kelly

Kelly,

Zeb's tail looks like Sydney's. They have a spot in the same place:

Tail2.jpg

It looks long too. He usually carries it low, with a hook at the end:

Tail3.jpgTail1.jpg

But, without the hair, it really only comes to his hocks:

Tail4.jpg

Weird. I just noticed Ted's tail is really short. OR maybe my other dogs have really long tails. His doesn't quite reach his hocks. He's going to be really hairy so it will look bushy enough when he's older. But Rocky looks like he's carrying a bridal train already.

Well, in Speedy and Dean's case, my theory was correct! Both of their tails are exactly the same length - about 14 inches - from the base to the physical end of the tail.

In Speedy's case, though, he has about 5 and 1/2 inches of flowy fur beyond that point! Dean has just 3 inches of fur beyond that point. That 2 and 1/2 inches makes the whole tail seem longer!

It's just like Lou's tail. Black Jack's tail is pretty long but most of it is fur. When he's walking and has it hanging there it comes to about his hocks I guess.

That is a long tail. I can't believe how much they've grown! I remember when Wicket was a little pupper :rolleyes:

Genie, I though Zeb was Sydney from behind when I first saw your pictures! How funny! Their tails are very similar. Sydney's tail is quite curved, so it's hard to tell how long it really is.

P1010014.jpg

She freaked out when I tried to measure her longest tail fur (about 13" near her bum!), so I haven't tried to measure the whole thing. heh.

~Kelly

Including all the tail fur, Popcorn's tail is about 19 inches. His actual physical tail length is only 16 inches. It sweeps the ground alot of the time!

Geaugeau's tail seems to be a good average length, but the strangest thing has happened. She has had the beautiful white "flag" at the end of her tail, but several days ago I noticed that the white flag has nearly disappeared. By that, I mean that the "flag" looks as if it has been chopped off with a pair of scissors. She is around no one except me, and I surely have not cut it off. Nor has she gotten it caught in something. It is chopped off until only about one inch of white shows, and the tip of the tail is showing. Anybody have any ideas about what could have happened? I have not seen her chewing on it or scratching it, so I am completely baffled.

Probably she's blowing coat. I've noticed that beautiful flag is the first to go here, though it's soon back. As it's spring, I moved everyone but Ben outside and they are just now starting to shed out big time. I just spent about an hour yesterday with four dogs and a shedding comb.

When my dog was young and his tail was just getting "plumey", he came in one day with about half of the white tip of his tail looking scissored off. I looked everywhere for the missing fur, thinking he had gotten it stuck in the fence or something. Nothing. A few days later, I looked out the window and there he was, happily rolling on his back, WITH HIS TAIL TIP IN HIS MOUTH. Apparently, he had bitten off the missing tail feathers! So--does Geaugeau ever chase (and catch!) her tail?

• 3 weeks later...
When my dog was young and his tail was just getting "plumey", he came in one day with about half of the white tip of his tail looking scissored off. I looked everywhere for the missing fur, thinking he had gotten it stuck in the fence or something. Nothing. A few days later, I looked out the window and there he was, happily rolling on his back, WITH HIS TAIL TIP IN HIS MOUTH. Apparently, he had bitten off the missing tail feathers! So--does Geaugeau ever chase (and catch!) her tail?

Sorry about the delay--again, no internet access. Geaugeau does chase her tail and sometimes catches it, but I've never seen her bite any off. She is shedding big time right now--I've been in Arizona all winter, so she is shedding early with the heat. But it's the "chopped off" look that puzzles me. Someone just told me that as she matures(she's 15 months) she will

lose the flag altogether--true?? I know some of your (the board) pictures show flags on your mature dogs. Is a puzzlement.