BC Boards

Hello to everyone!

First, I'd like to say that these boards are incredibly nifty - good job, admin-folk! :rolleyes:

And a quick update on my baby: Recon had her second heartworm treatment yesterday. I took her in the morning, picked her up in late afternoon, and she slept at home till this morning. Didn't really want to eat, but did drink...then tonight she ate a regular meal. She's feeling much better, though still seems like she just wants to sleep. That's fine, though. She did this after the first one, too - was really mellow for about a week afterwards, then bounced back. I figure as long as she's eating properly, drinking, doesn't act much differently (except for the obvious extended napping) and doesn't seem in distress, we're doing good. She has two more treatments in the following two months and then we'll be good to go. She's not got any scarring and the vet says she should bounce back good as new once this is all said and done. Lesson is most definitely learned - never ever ever trust anyone but yourself to give your dog its required medications and such. Because I 'trusted' my ex-husband and mother-in-law to help out, Recon missed several doses of her heartworm preventative. It won't happen again, and I can only thank God that it wasn't worse than this.

On another note - I have a dear friend who is looking to adopt a border collie. She's had one for the past 9 years, but recently lost her to cancer. She wants to go through rescue (she adopted this last BC from the humane society here when Psycho was 10 weeks old) (Yes, the dog's name was Psycho. Yes, she deserved the name.) Anyway! I can't seem to find any border collie rescues close by. Or I'm just not searching hard enough or the internet hates me, or something. Both of us are keeping our eyes out for one to show up in the local humane society, but in the meantime I'd like to see if we can find something for her in a rescue. She did mention that she is willing to take in heartworm positive pups, or dogs with other special needs. She's looking for the "perfect dog for her" not the "perfect" dog, thank goodness.

I'm trying to convince her that the next one needs a tame name - like Fred. Or Bob. Or...just not Psycho. Anyfluff. If any of you know of any close by, could you pop me a message or respond here? Thanks so much!

That's great that she's doing better. I hope it all goes well and she's good as new once your done.

I'll do some digging and see what I can find about some rescues in or near MS. Sounds like she'll give a great home for some lucky pup.

Hi Aerie,

I'm glad to hear Recon is doing well with her HW treatment.

As for a rescue, have you checked the Border Collie Rescue Boards? There's a section for rescues in need of homes in the southeast: http://www.bcrescue.org/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=3 . You could post there for your friend, or just look and see if a dog in a nearby state "speaks" to y'all.

J.

Oh great, thanks! I had tried to get on those boards a few days ago but it wasn't letting me. I don't know if the site was down or if my browser was acting up, but I can see them now.

I'll give the link to Teresa and let her start looking through things.

As for miss ReRe, she's not feeling so hot today. She tried eating breakfast but then vomited. I gave her some boiled chicken and rice for lunch and she kept that down. Will give that again for dinner and probably breakfast tomorrow. Poor baby :rolleyes: I feel awful for her and super darn guilty. Vet said to just watch her and if she continues getting sick or stops drinking to bring her in, so we're just hanging out and waiting at this point.

Anywho. Thanks for the link, Julie. I appreciate it!

Aw, poor Recon. I hope she starts getting better. Sometimes it seems like you can't get ahead. Feel better soon.

Thanks for the well-wishes folks, it must be helping - Recon's feeling much better today. She ate a tiny lunch and held it down, so I'm going to give her a full amount at dinner tonight and see how we go from there. She's not looking so tense, either, so that's good.

Teresa (the friend looking for a BC) is willing to drive several hours if necessary. The last time I talked to her she was heading to some city near Mobile in Alabama to a humane society - a friend told her they'd just (a few days ago) picked up a border collie as a stray and its hold time was up and would be PTS soon. That was a few hours ago, and I haven't heard from her, so I don't know if she was able to get the dog out or what. She was worried, because he is apparently a senior dog and she's aware that not many people are willing to adopt the older guys.

Anywho! I've emailed her the links from this thread and have asked her for an update on the Alabama pupper, so I"ll fill everyone in when I get some news.

Thanks again, folks!